main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Han and Leia's relationship in EVII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Feb 5, 2013.

1. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I don't see what value there could be in having them be separated. It strikes me as merely turning something on its head for shock value, especially when their arc ended with them happy and in love in RotJ.

Bickering is how they communicate, so I don't see that changing.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I rather have them married then be separated.

3. GlobalMurrkitts

GlobalMurrkitts Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it would be interesting if Han and Leia were separated or divorced....I mean, I wouldn't mind them being together as well, but it would be interesting to see if they were separated.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Realism. It's not "shock value" when there is nothing shocking these days about separation or divorce.

5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Why does a space fantasy need that kind of realism?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So that real people can connect to the characters?

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have no problem connecting to characters who have a long stable marriage.

KevinM1 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, but that's not the point.

Making divorce a hush-hush subject seems very 1950s to me.

9. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Realism in terms of setting (the Force, aliens, etc) and realism in having believable and credible characters and relationships are two very different things.

10. GlobalMurrkitts

GlobalMurrkitts Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree with anakinfan, not only because of the "realism" issue, but it would very much fit Han's character...I mean, I wouldn't really mind if they were together as well, but I think there should be some drama between them...I guess there could be drama between them even if they were together, but it would be pretty interesting if they were separated, just that dynamic.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, there's no reason to make is hush-hush but at the same time I don't understand why Han and Leia need to be divorced. Do people in real life get divorced? Yeah. All the time. Do people in real life have happy, long marriages? Yes. Many of them. So it's just as realistic either way, really, and I'd prefer happily married, personally. I could see divorce working, but...well, in the first few books of NJO I wasn't all that happy when they were just separated. I'm not sure how I'd react to full divorce.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    See, I liked reading about their marital problems and separation.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, yes, every marriage has problems; it's just life. I don't mind seeing those problems on-screen either, if they're resolved on-screen, before Han dies. I don't want him to die separated from Leia. Assuming he dies near the end of VII, and they're separated, then they need to get back together and work out their problems, and spend time together before he dies. Leia would feel miserable if Han died while they were split up.

iluvkoalas, KevinM1 and Sarge like this.
  14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Reminds me of Jurassic Park 3. At the end of part 1, you get the idea that Grant can finally tolerate kids and is ready to move forward with Dr Satler. Then part 3 comes along and decides they've been separated for years and she has kids with another man.

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I don't know, I mean I understand the need for further defining characters within a story, but by that same token, we as fans are already going into the ST without any official canon from the ROTJ onward. The whole premise of the ST may be exploring some of that further, but we don't know who or what else is going to be incorporated into the storyline as it is. Theories are that Han and Leia have children, Luke is married (possibly to Mara) and has children, and add the idea of other new characters/villains with the addition of explaining away how/why Han and Leia split-up...that would be a very confusing plot. I feel as if they should leave it as it was when ROTJ ended...maybe there hasn't even been any conflicts within the galaxy since then and that would explain pretty much everything without needing to go into depth on post-ROTJ events.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You're already coming to the conclusion that Han is going to die. We don't know any of that yet. You're right, it does seem likely, given what Harrison Ford said previously, but I'd rather not assume anything at this point.

With that said, I wouldn't mind some angst in their relationship. I wouldn't like if they were fully separated, but I wouldn't be opposed to them having some issues that put a strain on their relationship and need to be resolved. Because really, on the other hand, if you have a perfect, storybook relationship, that would seem too forced and unrealistic. Maybe that's what some people want, but it almost makes you wonder if they're hiding something because even a healthy relationship has its speed bumps.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Reminds me of Jurassic Park 3. At the end of part 1, you get the idea that Grant can finally tolerate kids and is ready to move forward with Dr Satler. Then part 3 comes along and decides they've been separated for years and she has kids with another man.[/quote]

This is a very good point, as it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and the only way it played into the story was through Dr. Satler's kid being responsible for saving Grant. They could have done that the same way, with Grant and Satler married instead. It did seem to be just for pure shock value, and the ST would be in danger of making that same mistake with a Han/Leia break-up, imo. In ROTJ we would have had to have gotten a feeling of a possible break-up between Han/Leia, for it to have any relevance with the ST whatsoever, or else it could come off as feeling out of place.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has everyone here seen Firefly? Zoe and Wash were happily married, worked through some difficulties and drama, but never ever walked away from their marriage. That is the kind of relationship I would like Han and Leia to have.

KevinM1 and Yanksfan like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Zoe and Wash's relationship just fine and I'm not saying Han and Leia should be divorced; I'm saying don't take the option off the table entirely.

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    As long as they have that same banter I don't care how their relationship is. The Han and Leia banter is what made their relationship and watching it grow in the OT so magically.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, I was just assuming that for the point of the post. But yeah, we can't just come to that conclusion.

22. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I see Leia as the one who wears the pants. She could easily Force Choke Han if he steps out of line. Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I see them as having a more equitable relationship.

Revanfan1 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Right. I don't want to see a whipped Han with a domineering Leia. Leia can be a pill, but so can Han. Each of them gave as good as they got.

And that's another reason I don't want the Jade thing to transfer from the EU to the screen. I hated how Luke kowtowed to her. Since I don't like Mara, I've been accused of thinking women should be submissive to their husbands. No, I don't. But neither do I like seeing the reverse, with Luke making obeisance to Mara and not so much as sneezing without her written (and notarized) permission.

My aunt and uncle have been married for about as long as Han and Leia would be in Episode VII. You might say the honeymoon's over. They can drive each other crazy, but each of them gives as good as they get. They raised a great kid: my cousin. That's the kind of marriage I see Han and Leia having. Not some excruciatingly perfect union, which I have read in some fanfics and nearly got cavities from, but a partnership. Friendly combatants. They have problems, but they work through them. Maybe Han has a mid-life crisis like Harrison Ford did in real life, and he goes off the rails a bit...maybe even goes off by himself for a little while, with or without Chewie, trying to recapture his youth...but then he realizes he's not that person anymore, and not just because he's older.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My parents have been married 42 years and their arguments are hilarious.

iluvkoalas likes this.