main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is shaping up to be perhaps one of the last great books of the EU before the anticipated big Disney changes impact - although there's enough space in the 2014 schedule for another big surprise work I suppose.

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
  3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Jor-El, be reasonable"
    "My friend... I have never been otherwise."

Ben, you should buy this book. You will not be disappointed. How often have I directly steered you wrong. :p

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I love the qualification with 'directly' :p

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have indirectly steered him wrong before!

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have had it preordered for £11.93 for the last 2 months!

You should know better!

I did have an opportunity to try to obtain an ARC copy, but decided against it. The reasons were that I was unlikely to actually read it in time to actually contribute to the collective project but also I wanted to wait for this to turn up!

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    For those who say it's a really great EU novel, and that there's emphasis on characters and so on - what novel is it most reminiscient of, stylistically and content-wise? Knight Errant? Darth Plagueis? The Kenobi parts of ROTS? Ruins Of Dantooine?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I may not have the book yet, but no way is it anywhere near the last one on your list Grey!

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's... kind of hard to say.

It's really a Western, which is why I referenced Rango (which, if you have not seen, you should do immediately).

It's equal parts frontier Western, comedy, tragedy with a decent dash of mystery and a good (but not too small or large) amount of action.

11. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    The Lone Ranger?

Not that I've seen The Lone Ranger. But I've seen Rango, to answer that question.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Eh... not that kind of Western, per se (at least in my estimation). But it's also not Paint Your Wagons or Unforgiven. ;)

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han's shootout with Greedo in the cantina in ANH seems very Western-ish.

It may be that Westerns and Star Wars have more than a few things in common.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's acknowledged in the, well, acknowledgements, that it was written specifically to be the first genuine SW western. Which is to say, it's like nothing that's come before.

dp4m likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Almost everything about the Mos Eisley Cantina is inspired by classic westerns, especially Han. He's a space cowboy, which is why he's often cited as inspiration for Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long to get a true western in SW. I guess it's strayed so much from pulpy space opera to more fantasy and sci-fi oriented. Though, you could say the exact same about the evolution of the movies, even just going from ANH to ROTJ. ;)

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The Brian Daley Han Solo Adventures have a very Western feel. Nonetheless, I absolutely love the idea of a Western starring Obi-Wan.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Former war hero, now hunted by the law and hiding out in a backwater desert, nursing a drinking problem, but still has to stand up for what is right against other outlaws and banditos? Sounds like Obi-Wan is a rather solid western hero. Not quite a Jedi With No Name, but maybe he can be the Jedi With a Different Name.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd like to be more optimistic than that...with Disney now in charge of driving the saga forward with big-budget films, what better direction for the novels to take than a line of low-key, standalone, well-written novels that allow us to spend a lot of time with our favorite characters.... Not the last of the old great books, but the first of the new. ;)

TC

Todd the Jedi and CooperTFN like this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You stole the link I was going to make!

But, I would like to point out for the record, there have been a couple more-or-less true Westerns in Star Wars before -- just not novels. Mostly comics. Just recently, Dark Times: Out of the Wilderness was more or less straight Western, though not in an overly tropey way.

Definitely the first Western novel, though, which is a big step (and an awesome one).

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So worth a Hard Cover buy? Just to warn you people the last SW hardcover I bought for my self was Sacrifice and I was heavily temped to bludgeon someone to death with it. ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes. Definitely. I got an ARC and will be pre-ordering a hardcover and a Kindle version, that's how good it is.

23. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    So the whole point is telling the backstory of the poncho we see in Obi-Wan's hut? o_O

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps, but if it goes the way I have foreseen, then no, it won't be the first of the new for me. For others? More than likely.

25. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Actually Dark Times had the amazing/awesome/mindblowin Blue Harvest arc that was an adaption of Red Harvest (not the zombie novel :p) that lead to Yojimbo and from there to A Fistfull of Dollars.

Starkeiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.