main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There's More Than One King" - The MonsterVerse [Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh I know it should be global warming. Global Warming Godzilla! The misunderstood, friendly, giant lizard of environmental catastrophe!

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    OH ****!!

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    dailyfail

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm sorry, but I can't resist this...

5. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Yes, both "Gojira" and "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" features the Ifukube score.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    But Gojira is superior because it doesn't feature Raymond Burr giving "detached white man" perspective on how unbelievably horrible everything is.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention they completely gutted the ending, because we wouldn't want to suggest our greatest weapon against the Red Menace(TM) is in any way bad.

8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Sorry, but I'm not going to condemn the American version of the original. I think they did an OK job integrating the footage, they did manage to keep a fair amount of the subtext, and it was the first version of the story I saw. And there's a sentimental reason.

Several years ago, my Dad's VHS copy of "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" got taped over. Seeing as how I was the go-to guy for such things, he asked if I could get him a new DVD copy. I said that I could get him the two-disc release that included the Japanese original, but he said the Raymond Burr version would be fine. So, that's what I got him.

Later, after he passed away, my Mom gave me the DVD to do with as I wished. I donated it to the library I work at, which had no Godzilla movies in its A/V collection, and made sure the catalog record included that it was donated in my Dad's memory.

Hey, "Gojira" is a fine movie, but the other one is closer to my heart.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Just about the same goes for me as well... Godzilla, King of the Monsters! was the first film I can recall ever seeing, my parents taping it off an airing on a local television station, and I was just blown away. I was surprised to learn of it's true origins sometime later in my youth ( :p ), and when I finally got a DVD copy of Gojira in 2004, it was a great, great day in the Tunick household. Though I prefer the original version of the film (it just works so, so much better), the Raymond Burr edition will have its place for me.

And then there's this:

[​IMG]

The oldest toy that I've got... my mom buying it sometime in the 80's (before I was born).
    :D

VadersLaMent and Eeth-my-Koth like this.
  10. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Any love for this almost forgotten bit of history?

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    My local library a handful of movies. They seem to have all disappeared. [face_plain]
    I need to get me an ultimate collection.
    Even though I loved the hell out of Godzilla, I could never embrace the cartoon. Just didn't do anything for me.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "And Godzoooookieeee..."

They did an animated series for the 98 Zilla too (or at least planned one). Never saw it if they did but it could only have been an improvement...

This boxset if the films always tempted me back when it was announced around the release of Final Wars:

[​IMG]

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That looked terrible

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's like the perfect example of 70's cartoons though- start dramatic and then sharply cut to something ridiculously cute that has been forced into the concept (like Bat-Mite in the 70s Batman cartoon).

All it's missing is a cameo guest star and the Harlem Globe Trotters. Zoinks!

(Fun fact: "Zoinks!" will autocorrect into "Zionist!", lol)

Point Given likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Like, hey, Scoob, the Jews control all the financial institutions of the world as part of a plot by the Illumnati.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Unfortunately the state of Godzilla related boxsets in Region 1 is all over the place. There's a good one containing some of the better Showa films (And, uh, All Monsters Attack!) that was put out by Classic Media, which included their premium release of the original (As opposed to Criterion's premium release of the original). Then the only other option - outside of a bunch of cheap twofer DVDs - is this weird hodgepodge of non-chronological Heisei, most of which are dub only and cropped to fullscreen. So while the Classic Media set is definitely worth the, like, $25 you'll have to drop on Amazon, I'd really just advise tracking the other films down individually.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    As much as I respect Raymond Burr, he was the Ric Olie aka "Captain Obvious" of Godzilla. Gojira is also longer and has a greater coherency as the result of not having those U.S. inserts shoehorned in.

Edit:

Although I watched the cartoon when I was a kid, the movies still were king to me. I did have the Godzilla though that fired his fist. Man, that stuff would be illegal in a toy now.

I own most of the films up to Godzilla 84.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I highly doubt it will be campy at all, actually. I was at the Comic Con panel for it last year and I have to tell you, the teaser/concept trailer they released was one of the best teaser trailers I've ever seen. And it was setting a dead serious tone. I can see how this might be problematic in some senses. But I honestly think we'll find soon that they're not going for campy. The teaser trailer was all about the nuclear war allegory.

It's also maybe the only Comic Con exclusive video that's ever remained exclusive. They really didn't want it getting out and WB cracked down on it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere online. Kind of ironic, since I loved it so much and absolutely everything else from Comic Con is put up by someone eventually, and normally I never care to watch them again.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's necessarily good or bad to have a totally serious tone. Time will tell. I'm just saying unless something has changed drastically, they are still going with the nuclear bomb allegory and it was a pretty bleak tone.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well... it could work. Obviously the first film's tone is incredibly serious, but part of me is worried they're going to overcompensate for the general perception of the franchise, and we'll just end up with a hot radioactive mess.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's interesting. I mean, I've seen Monsters, the monster film immigration allegory piece by this director. And that's his only other feature, I believe. I mean this guy was totally overwhelmed by the experience of Comic Con. He almost cried. I think this is precisely the film he's always wanted to make, so we'll see. At least it's someone who genuinely cares, not someone just thinking it'd be kind of fun. Monsters was decent, definitely constrained by budget and first time director things. But I thought its use of monster film elements in an allegorical way was interesting and could bode ... at least slightly hopeful for Godzilla?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

It was aired and it's on Netflix nowadays.

22. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Monsters was overrated. I liked it. But it received way too high praise. He did confirm there would be multiple Kaiju. I can dig a serious thriller Godzilla movie with several Kaiju. As long as they're not Godzilla offspring younglings. [face_plain]

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

This one was more realistic looking then the original :p

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    One of the things I liked about Monsters was the idea of an extraterrestrial presence as an arbitrary infestation. Dangerous and strange and incomprehensible, but not overtly, consciously hostile.

25. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    I guess you wouldn't like this then? I mean, this was the stuff dreams were made of for us '70s kids. The good old days, when toys had flying projectiles . . . .

VadersLaMent likes this.