main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think defining how it holds up depends more on the person watching than anything. I personally don't think the micro-series held up well. Obviously only time will tell, but with the exception of a few early episodes in season one, I think even the early seasons of TCW have held up very well so far.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well put; well said. I agree 100%. IMHO, the Micro series & even the Droids/Ewoks cartoons from the '80's have stood the test of time. Again, a lot of this depends on whether or not you like/appreciate this type of 2D animation - you either like it, or you don't.

Conversely, when I saw TCW theatrical film in 2008, even then I thought the animation looked cheap & uninspired.

AusStig, Arrian and Heero_Yuy like this.
  3. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Not to be pithy, but for all its manifold flaws, TCW has Sidious kicking Zabrak ass whereas the microseries doesn't.

/thread

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That scene was just horrible. Seriously, it's like Genndy was running out of ideas and decided to overpower the Jedi as a result. This scene pretty demonstrates why the micro-series was bad.

Lord_Stalker, cwustudent and Ani501st like this.
  5. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    The bad voice-acting, the fact that Durge and Ventress were introduced with no backstory, the stupid fight scenes, the fact that droids just stood around sometimes, and the fact that the story was barely focused upon.

Also, it doesn't matter if the clock strikes twelve eventually. If it's unable to keep up with the actual time, it's broken.

Lord_Stalker and cwustudent like this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    "running out of ideas"
    "running out of ideas"
    "running out of ideas"
    "running out of ideas"
    "running out of ideas"
    "running out of ideas"
    [​IMG]

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    On the contrary, that was a great idea and a bold one at that. The fact that they managed to come up with so many situations for the character as well as give him some great character development was awesome. Maul is now one of my favorite characters. Of course, he'll never be as good as Obi-Wan Kenobi, who is the greatest character in Star Wars(and who was also handled superbly in the show).

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Just because it was executed well doesn't mean it should have ever happened.

9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    It should have happened, right after TPM. Maul had too much potential. It would have been better if he came back as the villain in AOTC instead of Dooku or at least as one of the villains. The guy had too much potential to just be killed off.

VanishingReality and Ani501st like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People with potential die all the time. Check the obits on any funeral home's website.

Savage should have been the villain wanting to avenge Maul's death.

This conversation is happening in the 7637 dead-character-seance threads in the Episode VII forum, but there is NOTHING that says "uncreative" more than "I couldn't possibly make up a good new character of my own, let me resurrect an old one."

I think I need to watch some micro series today...

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they changed Maul's death and character a little bit so it would seem reasonable he survived bring him back for AOTC and not wait 11 years or whatever it was with plenty of other material in the meantime to bring him back willy-nilly. Savage should have been the villain and not have Maul come back. I'd rather have the micro-series any day over TCW with the exception of Hondo Ohnaka.

vong333 likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Maybe to you buddy but it is the official tie in version to Episode 3 and not TCW. In fact, they are going to release unfinished animation. At least Genndy's stuff is complete and compact. By the way, it can't be written off. Sorry big boy

AusStig likes this.
  13. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    He is dead and shoould have never been brought back. That idea was worse than having clones that can use the force

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

And yet Maul was the best villain in the show :p

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That says more about how terrible the other villains were than an affirmation of the idea of bringing Maul back.

16. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Look man, that series kicked arse, it won 3 Emmy's and 1 Annie award for two measley volumes, 25 chapters and a little over 2 hours of restricted time animation. The clone wars movie was bad form the get go and the box-office showed it. In fact, the 2003-2005 Duck Dogers cartoon was way more ingenuitive and exciting to that crap. The 5 seasons of 108 episiodes got more nominations than I have credit cards, and only one two Emmy's. They had all that story exposition and we got the ususal sci-fi crap......cloaking device, super powered beings (Mortis, Mothe Talzoin, Darth Maul the return, etc). The micro series did good with less while TCW had more and gave less. Incomplete storyline, no tie in to the Episode 3 movie as they were suppose to do, ttrampled or tried the clone wars eu for no reason. I can still re-watch the micro series, Duck Dogers, Marvel's Avengers: Earth Mighiest Heroes, and Ben 10 cartoons. When it comes to TCW, I can't watch the episodes over and over again. They are uninteresting. Don't even get me started with TPM movie, becuase I can't stomach more than 1 minute of it. I guess to each its own, but the micro series along with the Family Guy Star Wars, Robot Chicken, and Lego Star Wars are way far more interesting than TCW. By the way, those are complete, TCW are going to release unfinished animation. What franchise does that? Exactly

AusStig likes this.
  17. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    No he wasn't he was boring and stupid and looked like a Sidious copycat. He should have been dead and stayed there.

18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    The series didn't kick arse. Emmies and Annies don't mean anything in regards to the actual quality of the show. Awards like those are generally given by biased people who barely no **** about actual quality. I tell you: many shows and movies are snubbed but a lot of them still deserve an award. The Clone Wars movie's problem was that it was the first couple episodes meshed together. The micro series had a lot in it for a show that lasted nearly 3 hours. It was jam packed full of stuff. The problem is that it didn't handle it well. There was barely any reason as to why I should care about the characters. You know, I've heard people talk about how much better Anakin's relationship with Padme was in the micro-series. Frankly, I saw nothing that was special about it. It was still your typical 1-dimensional love-story. The only note-worthy difference was that Anakin was whining profusely like he did in the PT. I guess that suppose to suddenly make the portrayal of their love-story great? Maybe...? But no, it was still boring. I saw them stare moony-eyed at each other, but my eyes couldn't spot any substance to it.

Secondly, the show could have better wrapped up some of the story-plots if it were at least given more time. In addition: you asked what franchise released unfinished animation? A skeleton crew that actually bothers to give their fans a peak into what could have been before the show they were working on was stopped. I'm glad that they're at least giving us that. I understand why they can't finish what could have been. I don't hold that against them. Same with the ROTS tie-in that the CGI series could have had. That was rejected by George Lucas. That much was said at CEII. I don't blame them for that either.

Lord_Stalker and cwustudent like this.
  19. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Yes it did, Genndy was given crap minutes to work with. Then I can say if we go with your premise that TCW got the Emmy because it got cancelled. Unlike the micro that didn't. You forget buckwalter, the micro series came out at a time when the prequels weren't winning anything getting crapped on where the majority of the consensus was that they (movies) sucked. The micro series along with KOTOR were the only things that were really good and got awards for them. Once again, if the micro series is one dimiensional it was because GL didn't give those guys enough exposition to do anything. They did things by the seat of the pants, and it still was good. The movie along with a big chunk of TCW cartoons were bad. In fact, it wasnt until the second half of season 3 and beyond that the series started to pick up.......but it got cancelled and there is a bunch of crap left out that will never probably get resolved. Unifinished animation? Yeah you go boy. The micro series and LOE are safe and are still considered as the true tie in to Episode 3. The second volume of the micro series along with the LOE and ROTS novels/movie were the only good things about the prequels.

20. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The micro series were way better than TPM and AOTC. TPM will stand as one of the top 15 movies in the worldwide boxoffice to make over a billion dollars that sucked. Over 4 hours of movie that was hard to stomach. The micro series shellshocked the franchise into some hope, that was one big thing I could never forget from back then when the prequels were badly talked about everywhere. And you know I'm not making that up. Not only is it on the boards but friends, family, newspaper, magazine (just look at E), internet to name a few.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    tl;dr walls of text arguments about TV and cartoon awards that I don't pay attention to...

Anyway, I just watched Volume 1 of the micro series. A few additional thoughts and comparisons:

Anakin seemed more like the worst version of AOTC Anakin in the micro series. Winner: TCW

Ventress needed eyeballs, and Nika Futterman's voice. Winner: TCW

Mace Windu was a ****ing badass. Dude took out an entire field of battle droids with his bare hands. Winner: micro series

Obi-Wan was also a ****ing badass. Got the entire Banking Clan to surrender. Winner: micro series

Yoda mind-tricked Captain Typho. Winner: micro series

Battle droids that knew when to STFU. Winner: micro series

Grievous was actually threatening, Dooku somewhat threatening, and Ventress blew up Anakin's ship with her mind. Winner: micro series

Micro series had too much weird-ass Force stuff like droids appearing from thin air. Winner: TCW

OTOH...TCW had three episodes of weird-ass and ****ing ridiculous Force stuff on a planet run by characters who need to STFU. Winner: micro series.

Anakin had scenes with no shirt, and didn't wear his armor in the house. Winner: micro series.

Anakin did not have an annoying-as-**** Padawan. Winner: micro series.

Overall winner: micro series.

22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't get what's farfetched about Yoda levitating those droids. He can lift an X-Wing with the Force, but not a bunch of droids?

And in CW, the only part I recall where Anakin was "whiny" was after the meeting where Palps recommends him. But all he does is say "I know you think I can't handle it, but I am the best pilot in the Order". That just seems like something Anakin would say, in either CW or TCW. Plus, he is still his Padawan self in that scene.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    ...But TCW had Sidious being a bleeping badass. In light of that fact, the overall winner can only be TCW. :D

24. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    But CW had every character show equal bleeping badassery, if not more. :b

25. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I'll give you that one but the rest blows, and like I said, after the second half of season three things started to get better