main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    2015 just got even more ridiculous, a list of possible movies.

Star Wars Episode VII
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron
    The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2
    Jurassic Park 4
    Independence Day 2
    Ant-Man
    Terminator 5
    Fantastic Four

And now this . . .

[​IMG]

Here's my thoughts.

[​IMG]

Dranem, eht13, darklordoftech and 2 others like this.
  2. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    There a lot of big Pictures in the making. But i think VII can surpass them all.

When they done it right, VII will be more than just a Movie: Culture Revolution 2.0

DarthBreezy likes this.
  3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    That would be just pure chaos. I'd like to see a Big Bang Theory episode where the gang decides which movie to see.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We never knew what our savings account was specifically saving for. We just knew it was important to save. We thought it was for retirement at some time in the distant future. Little did we suspect that the time that would drain our savings was going to be 2015.

5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think the competition will hurt VII in the long run, because people will choose to see World's Finest/Avengers/Avatar the weekend after VII, rather than going to see it again.

Really, I'd argue this is the first time Star Wars has had such major competition. A top spot isn't guaranteed, but it is very possible.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Poor Sheldon Cooper would loo se it! [face_rofl]

7. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I would like to agree with you here being an avid Star Wars fan myself. However, I wouldn't be surpised to see Avatar 2 make more money in the long run even though Star Wars is the more "established" franchise/saga. Today's society gravitates to the "next" big, shiney, new thing and thats what Avatar seems to be. The fact that people actual describe it as a phenomenon similar to Star Wars is utterly laughable, however; I have seen it described as this generation's Star Wars.

In the end, I would like nothing more than to see Ep. VII. shatter all box office records set by Avatar, unfortunately, I am not sure that is going to happen unless the director can produce something roughly on par with what we saw with Ep. 4 and 5.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My wallet just cried out in terror and was suddenly silenced.

He'd try to create some complex algorithmic occasion to determine which movie would be best based on number of special effects, number of movies each actor has starred in, precise location of available seats in the theater related to the lighting, and amount of butter and salt on the popcorn. The rest of the gang would just go inside and each take a different movie.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Avatar 2 won't be out by 2015, it's James Cameron. I'm saying 2017.

10. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013

While Sheldon Cooper's losing his mind and making algorithms, Penny & The Girls would choose on the basis of how attractive the male leads in all the movies are so that includes a detailed "stat analysis" of: Henry Cavill, new Batman, RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, etc as well as the "fit" Skywalker/Solo males. This is then coupled with the probability of barechested male scenes and likely duration. Leonard and Howard would reluctantly go along with the girls anyway, while Sheldon either defies and does his own thing or agrees to Amy while poor old Raj just follows the crowd(assuming he doesn't get a love interest).[face_rofl]

Although I have a feeling it'll be awkward for Penny as Kaley Cuoco and Henry Cavill were paired briefly.

11. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    dont forget the last hunger games movie (not saying it will make a much as vii but its anothe epic film coming out in 2015)

darklordoftech and Jedirush2112 like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm still on track to see one movie in the theater that year based on what I've seen of the competition.

13. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    And that Would be Star Wars Episode VII!

^:)^^:)^=D=^:)^^:)^

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Let's see -

Opening night, probably several viewings, will own on DVD.
    Dollar Theartre
    Don't Care
    In Flight On Demand
    Dollar Theartre
    Netflix
    Dollar Theartre
    Won't Bother
    Won't Bother

Immortiss likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Movies can be relatively cheap if y'all just stay away from the concession stand (I go at least every week and I think I get concessions maybe, like, 6 times a year, max). Besides, somebody muching popcorn at a movie beside me kinda drives me nuts when I'm trying to watch anyway.

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm late to the game but I think the opposite would happen. The Avengers are the newer money making franchise. Star Wars is an unknown now. The one thing that you might see is the Avengers moving to late May instead but it wouldn't move to July I would think. 2015 is looking to be the strongest summer in years. I for one can't wait, work is going to pretty fun for me that summer.

17. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    i'm looking forward to bringing my niece to her first Star Wars movie, she'll be five though, do you think she'll be too young?

She'll definately want to see Finding Dory, Kung fu Panda 3, and Smurfs 3

18. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

Ya it's hard to tell. Star Wars is their newest franchise with long term benefits, so I think they are probably going to give Star Wars the most popular spot. Now that starwars.com said that Celebration in April 2015 will coincide with the release of Episode VII to me that sounds like they may be going for early May. Avengers may be moved to late May or June. Possibly July I could see them pushing Pirates back since these new franchises may just have more that they need to prove. So I think to get the most exposure I could see Disney pushing Avengers back and putting Star Wars more in front. Early May has almost no competition, and is the first wave of blockbusters so usually everyone flocks to see the early May film. Add that with Star Wars and you got some big money coming in.

EDIT: For the post on the top of the page it's not Terminator 5, it's just Terminator and it's part of the reboot trilogy.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm saying Disney does Avengers in it's opening May slot and Star Wars to close out May just so they can basically rule the box office for 2 months straight.

20. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    CVII All but confirms its May release date.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-vii-announced.html

TheStorm likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Depends on the kid, but my sons both watched it when they were 4.

22. Force Goddess

Force Goddess Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2013
    If I was Disney I wouldn't want Episode 7 & Age Of Ultron within 2 months of each other, I wish Star Wars could have the May slot and move Avengers to July.

May 2015 is going to be rough on my wallet, I'll probably pull the old "pay for an early movie and walk into a later movie for free" trick a good amount of times, haven't done that in years.

23. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    I know nobody wants to hear it but I won't be surprised if this becomes one of those movies that gets moved back a time or two.

- Quality is what's most important here, in my opinion, and assuming the people working the movie feel the same way, they will push it back if needed.
    - It doesn't seem like much progress is being made, but that could just be Abrams keeping everything hush
    - 5 movies in 5 years is a lot, especially when the first one is only a couple years away and the "first final draft" of the script was only just recently finished
    - To build on that 3rd point, they aren't just making Episode VII by 2015. (a) We're talking about 3 movies that are not only supposed to be intertwined with each other, but 8 others, a couple cartoon series and whatever else they want to tie in. (b) They have to have move than just one movie planned out.

24. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Although I see your point, I doubt Episode VII will get pushed back. One reason would be that they scheduled the next celebration right before Episode VII is supposed to come out.

25. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Heck, I'd be amazed if half of those 10 movies actually come out in 2015.

darklordoftech likes this.