main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why didn't 20 th century Fox buy out Lucasfilm instead of Disney?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Jul 30, 2013.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Was there ever a rated R movie affiliated with Disney? just curious...

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Right. And if you read the article it does state if the right story comes along they will do it. Merida is also not the typical Disney Princess. She didn't want to get married she just wanted to be. And that whole movie was about that coming to pass.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Not under the official Disney banner. Under Touchstone and Miramax, yes.

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Glad to hear that. I was afraid they wouldn't be.

Should we expect these company logos instead of the Disney one at the beginning of each movie, or will it be the traditional Disney firework title scene first then Lucasfilm.?

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I can't help but ask, why were you afraid Disney don't release R rated movies? How would that have any effect on the Star Wars franchise? The most adult rated material in the movies is PG-13.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, most here have said that Disney won't hold back their movie makers and their style of work, and I just wanted to know if that means allowing them to make a rated R movie, too.

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    No, I don't think you'll see those company logos. According to the Disney website, Touchstone is a film distributor for Dreamworks. Miramax was shut down.

IDK, but I would expect to see the Disney fireworks and Lucasfilm.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't think Disney will restrict a director's stylistic choices or order rewrites because a script makes a potentially controversial move. But they aren't going to give the reins of their $4 billion family franchise to someone who would make a movie for a niche audience. There are bound to be agreed upon limitations when it comes to the age rating.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    For the record, I wasn't saying they should make a rated R Star Wars movie. I know they would never make a Star Wars film above a PG13 rating. I just wanted to know if they ever released a film with that rating.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Fox are not exactly a highly regarded company. The TV channel often cancels great shows, the news channel is a joke and Murdoch is a horrible man. I wouldn't sell the guy a thing, unless it was a virus.
    Besides, could they even afford $4billion? They seem pretty desperate to hold on to their Marvel rights for Fantastic Four & X-Men because of the money they make from those, I've not heard they are exactly in strong financial shape even if they aren't in debt.

Disney on the whole is a far better company to give Star Wars to, and it has been part of it for years anyway what with the rides and stuff.

my kind of scum likes this.
  11. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Glad to hear that. I've been puzzled for months about the fact that a Star Wars forum should query such basic Star Wars names etc.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Answering the OP's question cause 20th Century fax didn't want to pay 4.5 Billion dollars!

[face_money_eyes]

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Because Fox cannot afford LFL.............