main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you think it will be explained in Ep VII why Han does not like robots?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediKnightOB1, Jul 30, 2013.

1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    In watching the OT it has come to my attention that Han is pretty short with C-3PO. It's as if Han has distrust for robots. Even in RotJ he still hasn't made resolve with him. What do you think Han's major malfunction with C-3PO is?

Howard Hand likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure it's just that 3PO opens his mouth too much and is unwilling to take risks.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It doesn't really have to be explained. It's not a plotline, it's a character trait, and character traits rarely need to be explained. It's just how he is. As you said, in ROTJ he hasn't resolved his issues with 3PO. This suggests he probably never will, and he'll have a love-hate relationship with him for the rest of his life.

4. JediKnightOB1

Jan 26, 2003
    Curse the Maker!!!

Seagoat likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Han dislikes Threepio more than any garden variety droid just because he gets on his nerves. Might get a slight explanation in a Han Solo spin-off film than anything, not Ep. 7.

6. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    He never had any problems with R2. Threepio just kept pissing him off.

7. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Do you think it will be explained in Ep VII why Han does not like robots?

I don't really get the feeling he doesn't like robots.
    Even his short tempered-ness with 3PO is just that, Han's in a tight spot, 3PO says something obvious, Han loses his rag a little. No biggie.
    It's a stretch to say Han doesn't like robots based on his interaction with 3PO.

Yanksfan, spicer and Immortiss like this.
  8. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    He's also slightly short tempered with a repair bot when trying to fix the Falcon at the start of ESB.

In addition to this he uses the frankly derogatory term 'Goldenrod' to refer to Threepio, which is essentially just another form of racism.

The jury's out.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    He doesn't like them he hates them......

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think he sees them as people

Immortiss likes this.
  11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Slightly short tempered - I can't equate that to "doesn't like". I LOVE my kids but I can be slightly short tempered with them at times. Certainly doesn't mean I don't like them. I can also be slightly short tempered with my workmates. That also 100% does not mean I dislike them.

And Goldenrod = racism? Could easily be a nickname. He also calls him "The professor" while being short because 3PO is actually demonstrating that he has superior knowledge to Han and it is that that Han doesn't like, not robots. IMO.

So Leia must dislike Wookies because she called Chewie a walking carpet? That is using the same logic, is it not? That's racism too isn't it?
    Han doesn't like robots.
    Leia doesn't like Wookies.
    Obi-Wan is a complete xenophobe. ("Another pathetic lifeform")
    I'm sure the list could probably go on.

That is just my opinion on the subject. To me, Han has no ill feelings towards robots, and no matter what scraps of "evidence" are thrown up, it's a stretch everytime, for me. [face_peace]

12. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    It is not an important plot point and so it will not be addressed. There will be new things about Han which will serve the plot (the "tension" between Han and 3PO in the OT was there for comic relief - I imagine something new will be used).

In terms of writing they are going to have to do a good job to keep the same "scoundrel" everyone knows and loves.

13. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    The reason Han and Threepio don't get along is simple...Threepio can't understand sarcasm. If you watch, Han can get a little short with everyone, not just the droids.

darklordoftech and StoneRiver like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe in the last 30 years Han and 3P0 have gotten to know each other better and now they're best buds.

(cough) Pardon me, something stuck in my throat. Probably my gorge.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Han calls everyone something.

Fuzzball. Your highnessness. Kid.

One could argue that "Goldenrod" is a sign that Han secretly cares for Threepio. :p

16. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001

I cannot believe you are taking Han's anthropocentrism and automatonaphobia so lightly. These are serious issues.

Do we ever see him thank R2-D2 for the many acts of heroism he performs to save his life? No.

In fact, when R2 nearly dies in Return of the Jedi, attempting to help Han break into the Shield Generator Complex, R2's obvious distress as he overheats results merely in yet more eye-rolling from the ungrateful Corellian git.

In ANH, it's obvious that he has trained his Wookie to growl at and intimidate lowly mouse robots as well.

These are not 'scraps' of evidence. They are big meaty chunks.

And yes, Leia is racist towards Wookies.

Contrast her attitude with that of a real leader, Mon Mothma, who nearly breaks down in tears at the mere mention of the heroic sacrifices made by the Bothan Spies. She is a friend to furry creatures.

You are of course welcome to your opinion. ;)

17. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Han not liking robots really doesn't need an origin, like an "episode" where it becomes clear to the audience. It reminds of that scene with River Phoenix as Indiana Jones in The Last Crusade where everything from his chin scar up to his fear of snakes is "explained". In my opinion, those character aspects are better left as a mystery, it adds to the myth, specially a character like Han Solo who already had a busy life before we meet him in the cantina.

Also, it's kind of basic to think that there's a reason for this. I see it as part of his personality. He's a pirate, a risk taker. He knows technology very well but uses it as a tool, as means for an end. Of course he's short tempered with 3PO, he's just a machine for him and that works bothways as a storytelling tool for us to get to know both characters.

In Tatooine, Luke got more attached with the droids, which explains his kindness and loneliness in a way. He's stuck on a desert without friends because they are all leaving and he has to work with this opinionated machines. See how the droids serve a purpose in depicting the human characters' personality and motivations?

Other thing.This movie is going to take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi. It's not a prequel (duh) where things that we already now are explained. In this case, if Han wasto explain his dislike towards droids, a flashback or a story told by him would have to be inserted and that seems totally unnecessary.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Does anyone think that Han is going to be important enough as a character in the ST that such an issue would even be brought up? I don't.

Immortiss and Toonimator like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Han is old school, he likes things to be done by feel and skill and wits. Machines are too efficient and do too many calculations, Han fixes stuff by hitting it.

It's obvious why he doesn't like droids.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The reason Han dislikes 3PO is because Han is willing to take risks and 3PO is programmed to never take risks.

21. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

This....it's a character trait.

Not every detail needs to have an elaborate back story to support it.

22. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Amen.

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This is hardly something that requires any kind of "explanation" or further exploration of any sort.

Honestly now, do you really think Episode 7 is going to deal with such non-topics as "why does Han dislike robots"?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Han's dislike of 3PO is obvious. He's incredibly annoying. Now the more important question that Episode VII better answer is where did Willrow Hood buy his ice cream maker and why was it so damn important to escape with? That's the last unanswered question of the saga. ;)

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  25. JediKnightOB1

Jan 26, 2003
    But that is pretty good ice cream, it's also a foreshadowing of Han's soon to be frozen future. ;)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.