main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Finally, Aliens in the Empire Part 3? Handley and Peña are on a Roll!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plaristes, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I see Dark Forces goodness in the sources list! A Jerec update, perhaps?

But where does this article leave the Little Kessel retcon? I love the Planet Hoppers ref, but I could never buy the "other side of Kessel" excuse, KJA or not.

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I want a radio play of Hissa and Panaka facing off against the Rozzum.

"We're under attack!"
    "I'm here, too!"
    "You're no human, you have pointy ears!"
    "I might not be fully human, but I can still hold a blaster."
    "They're coming!"

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If I remember rightly, the Sith Amulet component of the Glove was introduced much earlier, to explain why it survived the DS2's destruction.

It's interesting to see the Amulet, rather than vibrations from the devices that were installed in the Glove to give Trioculus the "choke simulate" power, being used to justify the damage it did to Trioculus.

4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Holy crap.

Halagad_Ventor and LelalMekha like this.
  5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Quoth Jean-Luc Picard?

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It clearly could sense that despite being a murderer, a liar, and an inhuman monster, he still had a heart, and was therefore no true Sith worthy of wearing it.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Did you mean Captain Piard?
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Piard

Cronal likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Only if he's a Frenchman.

I'm confused though... I seem to remember that the "three-eyed son" of Niobi, who was mentioned in the "Aliens in the Empire" online article, had been identified as Triclops on these very boards--see here and here. However, the new article seems to imply that Trioculus *was* indeed the "son of Palpatine" rather than Triclops... Pretty confusing. Halagad_Ventor If you ever read this, could you clarify that issue?

9. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    ...brother! So, you have a twin brother. Your feelings have now betrayed him too. If you will not achieve perfection...then perhaps. He. Will.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the caption to the scene from Queen of the Empire was cleverly put:

Trioculus' unwitting courtship of a Princess Leia replica droid ends in heartache.

Halagad_Ventor, Cronal and Eyrezer like this.
  11. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Another cool article. I for one particularly enjoy species being identified, especially brand new ones. "Bah’r Kilidos, after all, were a decicred a dozen in the galaxy." Yeah right! How many inter-dimensional species do we have now? Waru, Charon and the Rozzum. Any others?

[Edit: Also see there is Cody Sunn-Childe's dimension, too.]

Also is there any explanation for why Trioculos ended up on Kessel? As far as I can see from this article and Aliens in the Empire that seems to be a missing link.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the article:

In any case, Trioculus was quickly thrust into a life of slavery and toil. His mother Niobi was deported to the spice mines of Kessel, along with her newborn son.

but it doesn't say why she was deported.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Sarcev Quest did it. It was mentioned in Aliens in the Empire, Part 1: Hierarchy of Power.

Halagad_Ventor and HedecGa like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm guessing the reason he sent them to Kessel was because the experiment was seen as unsuccessful.

Though it does raise questions about Triclops if Trioculus is supposed to be a son of Niobi. Maybe she had another child?

15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is actually very confusing. The original Aliens in the Empire article only mentioned the the son of Niobi was a three-eyed child. At the time, we all assumed that child was Triclops, and Abel Peña did confirm it on these very boards. But now he and Handley seem to have changed their mind?

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We may have to wait and see. If Trioculus spared Triclops at least partly because they were brothers, it would make a degree of sense. He may be a murderer and a monster, but he still has a heart, as he himself says. :D

17. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Need more! Need more EU lore! I must have it... unlimited power! HAHAHAHA!

Ahem... anyway, now that I have calmed down, amazing article. I love these EU pieces that link everything together. Would really like to see more of them. Loved the link to the Pantoran... its even the little things that make the EU awesome.

Halagad_Ventor and HedecGa like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I notice that:

In the landmark Star Wars novel Heir to the Empire, published in 1991 and written by Timothy Zahn, the character Grand Admiral Thrawn gained infamy as an alien who not only excelled in the xenophobic military of Emperor Palpatine, but even succeeded him as ruler.

Maybe Dangor and the other politicians of that era don't count, since while they may have ruled in name, Thrawn ruled in fact.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't take that too literally. The clear emphasis there is on the heights of success Thrawn attained, rather than an examination of the Imperial power structure.

Thrawn himself pretended that he ruled the Empire, after all, too and most Rebels saw it that way as well. The DESB makes clear, though, that Dangor and the Emperor's Ruling Circle were simply using him for their own purposes. Given that Dangor was always content with ruling from the shadows, the public notoriety is not problematic for him.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Has any other author besides that of the DESB, acknowledged Dangor as the "true ruler of the Empire" in that period?

21. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    So in other words, no there is no reason or motivation given. This article portrays Trioculus as a success, but for some reason whisked away to a slave mine. Odd without further explanation.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The X-Wing books and NEC sort off say it was the council (with Isard gone) running the Empire during the fight with Zsinj and thus also should after it, as they are the people that should be giving Thrawn their backing, though it always seems vague on how much the Council could really influence the Warlords (especially Kaine)

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I feel like it got a brief mention in the Guide to Warfare. At the least it does state that the Ruling Council exists during the Thrawn era and was headed by Dangor.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Atlas also mentions them- but from what I can tell in that, them, Krennel, and Kaine were marginalized- with Thrawn holding overall control.

25. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    It was for me, too. At least the timing was.

Your recollection is quite right, Rogue (and the very fact of it warms the heart). What I can tell you is that the Triclops aspect was discussed in the approvals process with LFL for the original Aliens in the Empire series but, yes, the wording was nonetheless quite ambiguous.

But, we merely beg your patience. To quote Qui-Gon: nothing happens by accident.

That's just how we felt. ;)

Many thanks, Ms. Coffee. Puzzling out the continuity of Kessel in this period lived up to the sobriquet "Hell in Space."

No OOU references, cheater!

Indeed, my friend.

High praise, Loyal Imperial. We thank you so much.

Nice of you to notice. It was subtle, though very intentional.

Clemency, your GAJesty.

I actually do think there are quite strong parallels between Trioculus and Augustus. He was the guy who never should've stood a chance against the other claimants for the throne, but nevertheless comes out on top ... however briefly. There's something quite admirable in that. His background, then, was fleshed out to emphasize this trajectory.

What can I say. I've always had a soft spot for Trioculus.

The stunning colors added to the black and white illustrations were contributed by artist and fellow SWFAer Mark Hudson. We have tried to collaborate on Star Wars projects for many years. When you get a chance, check out his silly and charming homage to Marvel comics and WEG:

The Home of the Lost Star Warriors.

Well. Nothing's impossible.

I'll be back soon to see if I can't more explicitly address this "three-eyed son" business. (SPOILER: I can't. For now.)

Take care,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.