main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Finally, Aliens in the Empire Part 3? Handley and Peña are on a Roll!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plaristes, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I hope this means we'll have to update the Wookieepedia Triclops article soon. :p

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That's my interpretation as well. Modern LFL has been loath to admit that Triclops is an actual biological son of Palpatine, probably because of Georgian disapproval. However, with Lucas no longer running the show, the Sequel Trilogy on the horizon, and the purported pending post-RotJ EUpocalypse, perhaps they're feeling a peck more laissez-faire...

LelalMekha and CooperTFN like this.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    P. 192 of Warfare says that Dangor, at the head of a Resurrected Ruling Council, is leading the Empire before Thrawn shows up. Thrawn's entry in The New Essential Guide to Characters states that the Moffs and Advisors hand the Empire over to Thrawn once he shows up.

4. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    The Rozzum or something else?

5. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    A new Pena article? Enough to draw me out of hiding.

My heart flutters at Trioculus' beauty. O cruel, cruel Robot Leia! Why must Perfection perish?

I demand more EU works set in the GoDV era.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is the bit I was thinking of- something to confirm that the Empire was handed over to him, rather than him being "a subordinate who thought he was more than he was".

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, he was definitely the leader of the Empire. There's also a sentence in, I believe both the EC and the NEC, stating that the concept of the Empire being led by a military ruler would have a major influence later on in the Remnant.

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I've never really had a problem with Palpatine having sired a child. The Emperor *did* have mistresses, after all, and that may have been the case when he was Chancellor too.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd beware of the distinction between leading and "leading." There's no indication that making Thrawn the Supreme Commander changed the formal command structure of the Empire. And the Ruling Council certainly didn't crown him Emperor. All those passages are stating is what we already knew -- that the Ruling Council handed Thrawn the metaphorical keys and told him, "You drive." They didn't sign the car over to him. Thrawn was made Supreme Commander and allowed to set the agenda and run his campaign without Ruling Council micromanagement. De facto control, or pretty close, with Dangor's permission, but I would hesitate before conflating that with his having de jure rule of the Empire.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That was pretty much what I was going for:

while they may have ruled in name, Thrawn ruled in fact.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But by those standards, Dangor and Pestage ruled the Empire pre-Endor since it was they who ruled in fact.

Further -- the EC and other sources which indicate that Thrawn was given power indicate that his role was essentially restricted to running the military without their supervision, as Hav suggested. He did decide to play shogun, yes, but the sources also indicate the limitations he had in trying to assert his leadership -- precisely because the only thing that separated him from the warlords was that Dangor allowed him to use the real Empire's resources.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think the more interesting question is,. is Thrawn had won, would the ruling council have been able to stop him from outright taking over?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes.

Because they were working for His Imperial Majesty the Galactic Emperor, against whom blue boy had no chance to survive.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Thing is, the Emperor's plans were already coming apart (behind the scenes) before he even launched Operation Shadow Hand. Specifically, his clones had been sabotaged by his doctor, on the orders of Carnor Jax.

15. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    We were really struck by just how Mark's colors brought these old illustrations to life. I wish he would do the entire series now. :)

The Jabba the Hutt comics are some of my favorite Star Wars stories. Jim Woodring is in a league of his own.

That said, Rich wrote the vast majority of Kosh Kurp's bio. I did suggest, though, that he connect Pineas Pontak's hypergland to Descartes' theory concerning the pineal gland. My instinct was Woodring would've wanted it that way.

Without a third eye, Palpatine could never truly achieve the perfect bromance with Vader.

Dude, I can't believe this is happening right now.... Is this really happening right now? (Actually, that's probably more Grand Admiral Takel's style.)

Thanks, MercenaryAce. Speaking for myself, the inspiration for this approach was really the old West End Games sourcebooks. The most minor characters suddenly had a life replete with private majesty and tragedy.

We weren't trying to be too subtle, here. Zahn and others have done Imperial apologetics very well, but this was intended as something of an exploitation piece, with the analogy to racism fairly obvious. The Empire are not good guys.

It was just continuity logic extending naturally from having proclaimed the glove of Darth Vader to have been built around Kaan's Sith amulet way back in Evil Never Dies in 2006.

As I said, the series is a pretty transparent analogy for racism. On this score, I thought it was important to incorporate Panaka and his complex characterization post-TPM. James Luceno seems to have almost gone out of his way in his works to portray Panaka as something of a turncoat (as in ratting out Padme and Anakin's marriage), or at least a by-the-book Naboo loyal to his fellow countryman Palpatine. And he seems to have been rewarded for this behavior with a position as an Imperial Moff.

So, if you ask me, Panaka's established continuity already reflected fairly badly on him. And thus, I thought it would be interesting if Panaka himself might've been something of a "speciesist." It would be hard to swallow a flawed cultural concept like "race" being a genuinely relevant factor in a galaxy defined by so many other differences between sentient beings, after all, but Panaka seems co-opted by an Imperial system that advocates a (more believable) alien prejudice. However, I've also always liked Panaka (and Dan Wallace's more sympathetic characterization in the short story "Monster"), and so I wanted to acknowledge the complex picture that emerges of Panaka between Dan's and Luceno's takes by having him committed to and then evolving from a speciesist ideology by bonding with Hissa ... not only under duress but against something that redefined the meaning of "alien"—which, after all, is what the whole project is about.

So, this remains true to his established character but redeems him a little too, I think: "There is still good in him."

Excuse you.

Darn right! ;)

Take care,
    Abel

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Halagad_Ventor It may be too soon to ask, but does your last comment about Triclops mean that we'll learn more about him in the upcoming parts? Could he be Palpatine's son for real?

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yeas! An excellent article[face_love]

A question is Moff Hissa a Sephi or part-Sephi?

For all we know most of them could come from the same inter-dimension

DESB?

=P~ I could kiss you! Aham, I meant thank you for that information

With Silver Fyre!

18. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Tatooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Imperial Center?

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FInally finished this; it was cool to see the Matrin reference having just read the Marvel Stenos issues a couple weeks ago.

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Somewhere, in whatever time zone, GrandAdmiralJello is weeping.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They were just writing in-character. I'm sure in the years to come we'll learn all such blog entries were IU. His disloyalty will be forgiven... this time. After all, "His GAJesty" is a nice turn of phrase.

His support of the usurper Trioculus is more distressing, however.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do IU mean?

23. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Gamiel
    IU = in-universe ("seen from within the Star Wars universe" as opposed to our privileged OOU=out-of-universe viewpoint).
    DESB = Dark Empire Sourcebook (a roleplaying-game supplement to the Dark Empire comics)

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Universe- meaning that the blog entry is written as if it were a New Republic Historian writing it.

EDIT: ninjaed.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.