main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Grievous was an idiot here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Aug 13, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    When he told his battle droids to back away so that he could "deal with this Jedi slime myself". I mean come on for having a reputation of being a coward, suddenly he wants to fight man to man? Just tell all his troops to fire and bam no more Kenobi.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He had fought many Jedi and defeated many Jedi going by how many of their lightsabers he had as trophies. So I guess he wanted to test his skills against one of the greatest Jedi Knights Obi-Wan Kenobi and he always had the fall back option of telling his forces to blast Kenobi if he lost the fight. That is until Kenobi's backup arrived.

3. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    And also at the last part of their duel...what happened to Grievous' other two lightsabers? He lost two of them when Kenobi cut the hands off, but I don't recall how or if he lost the other two. Cause he didn't use them when they fought right by his starfighter.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Grievous is the embodiment of a missed opportunity, both in the movie and in TCW.

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    There are several of those moments throughout the saga. I just figured there was some sort of "code" saying that that's the way it should be done. You could make the exact same criticism when Darth Maul appears in Naboo when the hangar doors open. Why didn't everyone just start shooting at him? Mr. "We'll handle this" Jinn was pretty stupid himself there.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Obi-Wan used the force on Grievous and he hit the wall causing him to lose his remaining lightsabers

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why would Padme and her men know that Maul was someone to kill? Because of his looks? The only ones who actually saw Maul on Tatooine were Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin. And even if Padme, Panaka and the others started shooting at Maul; what makes you think they would have succeeded in killing him, especially since he had a lightsaber in his possession?

Exactly why did Qui-Gon behave stupidily in that moment? You passed judgement on him without even bothering to explain why.

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    As demonstrated in Episodes 2 and 3, even the most skilled swordsmen cannot deflect an unending barrage of laser blasts coming in all at once. How many members of the queen's force were there? A couple dozen?
    What part of "he should have told everyone to open fire instead of saying we'll handle this" do you not understand?

But please be aware that I am not criticizing the storyline for proceeding in that manner. I'm just responding to the OP saying that if one thinks Grievous was stupid for not ordering all the droids to open fire on Obi-Wan in E3, then the same conclusion would have to be drawn regarding QuiGon in E1.

9. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012

All of the Naboo guards start shooting, and the Jedi run in and start dueling. One dude, against 3 Jedi and a hoard of Naboo security guards. A few blaster bolts are bound to hit him, or if he deflects them all then the Jedi cut him down.

10. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    As you can see at the beginning of the movie, Grievous collects the trophies of the Jedi he killed before, their lightsabers. So he thought he could do the same with Obi-Wan in presence of all the separatist leaders... More or less. He was cocky.
    And as for Maul scene... I guess that Padme's group had more pressing business to do, to catch Nute Gunray.

11. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    No villain is allowed to be competent, except for Vader.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Grievous fought against Kenobi several times in TCW. He thought he could defeat him this time.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Naboo guards open fire, Maul deflects a blaster bolt into Padme's head. I'll leave it to the alternate history experts to figure out the rest of the story.

14. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think that reputation is more out-of-universe than in-universe.

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    In-universe he's supposed to be a quite good general, strategist, tactitian and a formidable opponent. The main problem with his image is that TCW turned him into a joke villain who never gets anything right, flees and is basically like Claw from Inspector Gadget.

[​IMG]

- Next time, Kenobi!

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Having already fought the Sith Lord once before, Qui Gon didn't tell them to open fire because he was smarter than that... if he could deflect blaster bolts, so could the 'dark-warrior' who was well-trained in the Jedi arts. By not issuing that senseless command, Qui Gon saved enough lives to give the Queen's plan a fighting chance. This wasn't Order 66, it was Maul who had the element of surprise... and in the face of such adversity, Qui Gon did the right thing.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with SSS on Qui-Gon/Maul. They didn't account for him, they were well outnumbered to begin with, let Panaka and Amidala continue with the operation, don't risk losing anyone. Risking lives foolishly against a force-user would have been counter-productive in the long run.

As for Kenobi and the droids, I believe Grievous allowed them to open fire in the novelization. Probably just a decision to move the film along, but I don't see it as out of character for a character bold enough to risk being sucked out into the vacuum of space to escape capture on the Hand.

18. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012

No I don't agree. Qui Gon and Obi Wan would more than likely survive if they both went in on Maul and all of Panaka's men started firing. I hate to say this but a Jedi is waaaaaay more powerful than a Naboo security guard. Take down Maul. Lose a guard or two. Now you have two Jedi with you. Unstoppable.

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Maul would kill a load of them, plus it would give enough time to summon even more droids to take care of the goody-goodies and they would've all been killed eventually.
    Qui-Gon did the right thing there.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

21. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I think it was important that Grievous' arrogance got the better of them. He was set up to fail by Palpatine so the Separatists would lose the war. If he'd selected someone smarter or less foolhardy to lead the droid army, it might've gone a different way than he intended.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That is how he is portrayed in ROTS

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It's just tough guy BS that we saw all over the place in action movies. Maybe GL should've paid homage to Indy by having Maul spend 30 seconds showing of his double lightsabre skills only to have Padme's forces let fire at him all at once and fill him with lead (ah laser)...

Beezer likes this.
  24. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Grievous had a lot of potential to be a bad ass villain. But overall I don't think he was that great of a villain. Yeah, it definitely wasn't that smart of a move for him to have them back away. I would've asked for all that help that I needed...lol.

25. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012

bingo. He's a cyborg robot uber-machine he should be spewing gadgets and tricks from every crevice of his 'body'

The Hellhammer likes this.