main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social You are Lucasfilm! Pick an Ep. 9 director and 2 spin-off movies!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Aug 18, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So let's play Fantasy Lucasfilm Star Wars management. You gotta get Star Wars moving. You need a director for Ep. 8, and you have to come up with two Star Wars spin off movies. Get as detailed about what crew / idea as you want to be.

For episode 8, you can't pick Lucas, he's retried. You can pick Abrams but the guy kind of wants a break which will push back Ep. 8 release date. You can pick Steven Spielberg but since he wants to make one of his serious talky awards movies, it's going to push back the Ep. 8 release date *and* you're going to lose one Star Wars spin off movie because you gotta take that money that you had for Spinoff movie #2 and push it into the budget for Spielberg's seriously talky award movie! Aside from that, directorial field seems to be wide open. Unless you pick Uwe Boll. You'd be fired on the spot and possibly shot out of a canon for that one. And you can't *say* you're making Star Wars movies and instead fuel all the cash using creative accounting into the Cayman islands or whatever. No skim! No shell game! Make Star Wars yours! Aside from using John Williams to score the spin-offs as well, he's saving his A-game for the Episodes.

Episode 8 director: Matthew Vaughn. Guy makes very pretty and cool movies, is unabashed Star Wars fan.

Spin-off 1: Obi-Wan Kenobi Tatooine post Ep. 3/ pre Ep 4 flick. Get back McGregor and Joel Edgerton (Uncle Owen in Ep. 2 / 3 and is actually doing some great work now), let both actors bounce off each other as their friendship deteriorates, make it "True Grit" but with a old guy with a lightsaber instead. Directed by Rian Johnson who did "Brick" and "Looper" because he's great at mashing up genres. Music by John Murphy (28 Days Later, Sunshine) because his tunes sound cool.

Spin-off 2: Emperor Palpatine / Darth Vader Dark Times movie. Sort of follow the game of one-upmanship between Master and Apprentice, they try to selectively outdo each other but also feed off each other. Maybe trying to track down a combined threat. They can start of as very antagonistic between the two but actually become stronger as a team by the end of the film and go forth to get the galatic enslave on. Go big or go home, I'm picking Christopher Nolan and the script by Nolan and his brother Johnathan Nolan. Ever seen "The Prestige"? Kinda like that. But with Sith instead of 19th century magicians. Time-shifting narrative plot twists galore, unlike a typical Star Wars movie. Get Hans Zimmer for music as well!

2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    We could have a James Cameron directing an Avatar/Star Wars crossover... maybe... as long as obi wan is in it >>.>>

i might put more effort into this if i wasn't about to fall asleep

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, you took my director. No Spielberg? I'll have to think about this one.

Spin-off one: Obi-Wan and Anakin between TPM and AOTC. Have them on missions together, show Anakin's training, show some adolescent rebelliousness and them butting heads, show Palpatine telling Anakin, "You can come to me any time, the teenage years are hard, sometimes you need someone other than your Master to talk to" or something of that sort.

Spin-off two: the Darth Plagueis novel sent to the big screen.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    For E8 I would tap Vaughn or perhaps Neal Blomkampf

I would definitely have Boba Fett in a spinoff movie in order to tie-in the Underworld TV series. I hate the idea of anyone else playing Han Solo but at the same time am intrigued about his background story and yes I've read the HS trilogy.
    So I guess Fett and Solo would be the spinoffs as they both setup Underworld.

Immortiss and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011

Please no...please.

I'd have Brad Bird be the director Episode VIII, like JJ Abarams I feel his style would be perfectly fit for Star Wars.

The two spin-offs would be a Boba Fett film from Joe Johnston, as I think he has shown a interest in such a film in the past...and the other spin-off would be a Obi-Wan film starring Ewan McGregor on Tatooine with perhaps some kind of Western theme. I'd like Jon Favreau to do that or direct anything Star Wars related really.

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Give 8 to Jon Favarau

Give Boba and Obi the first spinoffs

-C

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ridley Scott for Episode 8. Christopher Nolan for the Darth Plagueis adaptation. And maybe a Spielberg directed film about Obi-Wan's Force training and first adventure with Yoda.

8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Ang Lee Yoda film, Andrew Stanton R2-D2 film and VIII by Luc Besson

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Episode VIII director: Duncan Jones. I watched Moon recently and was quite impressed. He has the style for a more somber middle of the trilogy film I think. I would love Joss Whedon but he'll probably be busy with Avengers (I'll keep him on my shortlist for Episode IX. ;))

Spin-off #1: Obi-Wan Kenobi would be the main character and it would be set between Episode III and Episode IV. It would start off with Obi-Wan meditating in his hovel and suddenly we would hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn. They would talk about Anakin and the ability to become a Force ghost. Later we would learn that the Larses farming community are being attacked by bandits working for the Hutt cartels and they decide to hire mercenaries to defend themselves. That's right, a Seven Samurai-inspired Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off. The farmers make it to Anchorhead to find mercenaries but suddenly the town is attacked by a giant Krayt dragon! That's when Obi-Wan appears and defeats the Krayt dragon single-handedly. Owen asks for his help and he leaves Tatooine to find other Jedi willing to defend the farmers. Directed by Jon Favreau.

Spin-off #2: Boba Fett would be the main character and again it would be set between Episode III and Episode IV. It would be a smaller scale, gritty action film and would be the first R-rated SW feature. Boba going after his target by any means possible. At the end he would be contacted by Darth Vader and given the mission to hunt down Obi-Wan (possible set-up for a sequel!) Directed by Joe Johnston.

BigAl6ft6 and Immortiss like this.
  10. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    episode 8 director first prority ij Abrams if the delay is longer than 1 year peter jackson

spinoff 1 the previously rumored spinoff of obi wan settling on tattoine and darth maul coming for him think like a western with lightsabers

spinoff 2 asokas fate

i once speculated an idea to combine these basically asoka would come to help and sacrifice herself

11. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    John Boorman. Because he will get the best he can out of the actors. And he will help choose the correct actors.

[​IMG]

Films include Deliverance, Excalibur, The General, Point Blank,

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Abrams to continue the episodes.

Yoji Yamada to write and direct a spin-off about the Jedi of his choice.

13. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Sam Mendes. He knocked Skyfall out of the ballpark so it would be interesting to see what he could do for Star Wars.

citizenmilton and Immortiss like this.
  14. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Peter Jackson for Episode VIII. Hopefully he goes back to LOTR form by then. He knew how to make SFX mean something back then.
    Sparing and subtle use of it and not overdependent on CGI and waiting for the right moments to make the big shots. Also good at horror
    and dark tone. Won't make the production kiddie friendly without a good reason. ex: his interpretation of elves and other cultures.
    He and his writing team will do their research.

Knows how to get great performances and interaction from actors. Will draw out the movie, giving SW fans what they want, more
    movie screen time.

Sarge likes this.
  15. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    spin off #1 :remake Ep I
    spin off #2: remake Ep II
    spin off #3: remake Ep III
    spin off #4: remake Ep VI, "revenge of the Jedi" on Kashyyk and Coruscant.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Must say I do like the Obi-wan spinoff ideas.

IMO Skyfall was drastically overrated and when I saw it was hugely disappointed. Sam Mendes does great reality drama but I don't think he can cut action/fantasy.

Rian Johnson isn't too bad. I put him in the same league as Vaughn and Favreau. David Fincher would be awesome IMO for a Boba Fett movie I must add.

BigAl6ft6 and benknobi1 like this.
  17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Ep 8 stays with Abrams.

Nolan gets the Boba Fett feature.

Ang Lee gets a spin-off called Star Wars: Dark Lords.

18. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Keep Ang Lee away from Star Wars he completely ruined the first Hulk film.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    For Episode VIII: I'd tell JJ Abrams to stick too it. Same with IX.

If Episode VII somehow isn't a great movie, which I doubt, it'll be Matthew Vaughn for Episode VIII and Brad Bird for Episode IX.

For the spinoffs, I'd say Rupert Wyatt and Neill Blomkamp. The two spinoffs would be this:

The first one would be a movie set a 3 years after the events of Episode III, and the main character would be Boba Fett. However, the plot point would be that Vader, despite Sidious' consistent reprimanding to ignore the Jedi and his lustful quest for revenge against Kenobi, hires Boba Fett to track down Obi-Wan and to bring him to Vader, alive. Directed by Rupert Wyatt, music by John Williams for a 2016 release.

The second one would be a movie specifically focusing on Darth Plagueis' quest for immortality and how Palpatine became his apprentice. I'd see Neill Blomkamp direct this, and music done by Michael Giacchino for a 2018 release.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  20. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    You boys are too conventional. Get out of your comfort zone.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ridley Scott is an interesting choice. JJ might be good to stay with, especially if Ep 7 is an epic classic.

Spinoffs:
    1) David Lynch to direct some harrowing, R-rated, dark tale of the underworld on some remote, nightmarish planet.

2) A movie about Anakin and Obi-Wan; it would start the night after Anakin's wedding to Padme and end when Obi-Wan and Anakin are called to Coruscant because Palpatine was "kidnapped."

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Nolan doing a Plagueis/Palpatine spin off would be damn awesome.
    I'd also like to see Tarantino get a shot at some underworld-themed spin off, that could be interesting. Or even better, imagine Scorsese doing a crime based spin off?

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I couldn't imagine Scorsese directing Star Wars. He'd be like, "What's an effing wookiee?!"

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  24. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Although he never would I think Hugo proves that Scorsese could make an excellent Star Wars film.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I never saw Hugo. Forgot about it actually. I'll give it a watch, but I agree that I doubt he'd ever do SW. I was just being a smartass really . . .