main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. He would've done Tahiri right in LOTF.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    With him around there properly would not have been LOTF. [face_plain]

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    From what I've heard of pretty much everything post-NJO, I'm going to skip it and read the Legacy comics instead.

No opinion on Allston, I haven't read any of his work, and I think Denning's NJO stuff is decent, but with Stover, Luceno and Keyes gone, it's no wonder the subsequent series is of lower quality.

xezene, Solent, Nobody145 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    His best stuff remains the X-Wing books A1983. Everyone loves the idea of General Solo, the execution's even better.

Abadacus and aleja2 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Those are definitely my next novel reads after the NJO and the Kenobi book.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I can't wait to read Kenobi. I need to finish LOTF and Crucible first, though. Get through the bad stuff, then have Kenobi as a pick-me-up! :cool:

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Great wisdom there is in this post! =D=

Anyway, going back to Dark Tide, I'll be honest--I'm in that minority who's not really impressed with Stackpole. His X-Wing books bored me and practically put me to sleep. (At least Allston's entries were peppered with jokes.) I, Jedi was a bit of an eye-roller to me too. (It does lend itself well to drinking games, though--every time Corran mentions his past service with CorSec, drink!)

That being said, though, I did enjoy his Dark Tide duology and felt it was his strongest contribution to the EU. But that's probably because he's dealing more with characters I genuinely care about (the NJO era is and always has been my favorite era), so perhaps it's that. I will say, he really does have a great handle on piloting and starfighter combat in general.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Anyone know why they left?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't remember if it was Onslaught or Ruin that had Jaina finding the Vong's 'living Death Star'. That description creeped me out as much as any horror movie I've seen.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Actually, I think that was in the Edge of Victory duology. I might be wrong, though. I do recall her finding something in the Dark Tide duology; maybe it only mentioned it in EoV. Or was that when Kyp led the attack using Jaina's intel? I don't remember.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, I know for sure it wasn't in Onslaught. I'm not very far into Ruin, so I couldn't vouch for that one. It seems a little early to put out a Vong super-weapon sized ship, though.

I honestly think that Onslaught is the most un-Stackpole book I've read of his. The only monologues are appropriate for situations (speeches and addresses), Corran is present but not overwhelmingly portrayed as a favorite, Luke, Leia and the rest are handled well both in and out of combat, and the pace is kept snappy from beginning to end. The starfighter combat is his greatest strength as a writer, but he was so well-versed in the EU as a whole by this point that the book seems uncharacteristic in how well it handles the EU as a whole, and not just the parts Stackpole is known for.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Vong superweapon business was in Edge of Victory II: Rebirth.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think the Dark Tide duology is Stackpole's best work in Star Wars.

The superweapon business in Dark Tide was Daeshara'cor looking for a superweapon -- which was considered bad. But then Anakin using Centerpoint would have been considered good. I'm so confused!

darth fluffy and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tyers and Stackpole I don't know much of, Keyes had his own series coming out I think and that's likely true of Stover. Luceno was busy doing wonders in the PT era!

15. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    but was it worth the price? Was it really?

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that really does depend on point of view, doesn't?

I mean, to me, it led to Darth Plagueis so that's excellent, but for someone who wonders what might have been for the post-NJO books, likely quite different!

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Allston-Traviss-Luceno would've been much better than Allston-Traviss-Denning. For starters, Denning wouldn't have been around to turn Jacen dark. ;)

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ba-ha-ha! True! :p

20. Darth_Erebus

Darth_Erebus Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2013
    Hello everyone, I just want to put my two cents in here regarding the NJO series. Despite the negative feelings I have encounted about the series with regards to it being too dark, completely different from what went before and all the character deaths I really enjoy it. I like the sudden change in tone the series took, the fact that it got rid of the bubble of security that had formed around the main characters, Luke, Leia, Han etc.

My favorite books of the whole series has to be the Behind Enemy Lines duology and the Force Heretic trilogy, namely Remnant.
    The Behind Enemy Lines duology because I love seeing Wedge come back and seeing his plan for turning Borleias into both a victory and a failure.
    The Force Heretic trilogy because......I don't know why really, I just do. I like the glimpse into the Imperial Remnant, I love the look into the Chiss and, perhaps most of all, I love the way they explore Tahiri and the fact that she isn't over experiences of the past books.

21. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Lucasbooks (Shapiro? Can´t remember) also said they wanted less authors in order to have less continuity coordination issues. Then they managed to have many more errors than NJO in half as many books.

I´d really like to know what happened to Denning. SbS was quite good and I think he didn´t want to kill Anakin, Tatooine Ghost felt like he really understood Anakin Sr, and then he torches everything when he gets more control of the franchise. Not to mention the shipping wars with Zekk - Jaina - Jag and Tenel K - Jacen - Danni Quee.

I should have suspected something when he said he liked KJA works...

OutsiderJediSam and aleja2 like this.
  22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    No one has ever seen KJA and Troy Denning in the same room.

darth fluffy, aleja2, HWK-290 and 3 others like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    My brother actually worked up a theory that KJA actually is Troy Denning, and one or the other is an alias–sure, their physical features are totally different, but AFAIK, KJA's picture was never released in his novels. Of course, there are pictures of KJA on the Internet that disprove this theory. [face_relieved]

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    then the question is: do you trust the internet?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_dunno][face_nail_biting][face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

OutsiderJediSam likes this.