main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Tattoo Ideas

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Calgamer, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    Hey guys!

I've been thinking about getting a Star Wars themed tattoo for a long time now, but I can't decide on what I want.

And before anyone asks, yes I've put some thought into this. I've been in love with Star Wars since long before my dad took me to see TPM (and I'm 22 now!). If people can get tattoos of butterflies or quotes from people they don't know, I think I can justify putting something I've loved forever on my body.

Anyways, I've toyed with a few ideas. One was having one side of my upper body be related to the empire and the dark side, so i'd have characters like vader, palpy, maul, and maybe even dooku or malgus. The other half of my upper body would be dedicated to rebellion/republic and the light side, so it'd be luke, obi-wan, anakin (i like the idea of having him represented as himself and vader) and yoda. But I'm worried that the tattoo artist will have trouble capturing all of these characters to their fullest.

The idea I'm currently leaning towards is having some version of the rebel insignia tattooed on the back of one of my shoulders and the empire/sith insignia on the back of the other shoulder. This is my current preference because it's simple and I feel like I should start small, but it feels like it's missing something. I'd have them be relatively big, maybe softball-ish sized? And they'd be colored, although how I'm not sure yet.

I would love to hear your guys ideas! I'm not a very creative person, so any input is appreciated. The one qualification I have is that any tattoos be on my upper body and either on my back, torso, or upper arms. I'm all for tattoos anywhere, but unfortunately I'm a CPA and visible tattoos aren't allowed.

Thanks in advance!

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Did you got any further with your tattoo idea?

Personally I would take a small one and put it at a place where you could cover it, if you'd like. It'll be there forever, but your interests might change in some decades.

3. Calgamer

Dec 30, 2012

I'm still leaning towards getting the rebel insignia and the empire insignia on my back. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment some time around the end of September or early October!

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'd prefer symbols a lot over faces or names, so I like it. Have you decided on how big it shall be?

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had a similar dilemma because pretty much everyone I know and their brother has Star Wars tattoos and so everything's been done before. I know way too many people with the Rebel Bird & Imperial Cog (and a lot of them with them half/half), plus too many Vaders, ships, death stars, you name it.

Ultimately, you need to figure out what is best for YOU. Something that is meaningful to you.

I ended up getting the Naboo crest. It's still Star Wars, but represents so much more to me personally; my love of Naboo, my love of Trisha Biggar's pretty dresses, my decade + on TFN, and all of my friends that I've made because of Star Wars.

6. Calgamer

Dec 30, 2012
    If I do go with the bird & cog, I think they'll both be about as round as a softball

7. Calgamer

Dec 30, 2012
    Thankfully, none of my friends have Star Wars tattoos so regardless of what I get, I won't feel like I'm taking ideas from anyone close.

But I have to say, I like your logic with your Naboo tattoo.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    (Just a little hint: If you hit 'reply' of each thread that you want to quote in a row, you have them listed within one post (looks less spammy). Plus, if the posts in questions are on the same page, it's enough, if you simply tag the original poster (like Skiara). That makes those posts smaller and better to read. :) )

But now, back to your original topic, Calgamer...

Softball-size is 'big' in my view. Of course, it can be a lot bigger, but it's a brave start. :)

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I hate spiders with a passion, so I'd have to pass on that one. [face_laugh]

10. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    How about this one?

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I wonder if the suggestion/idea is crazy or the person on the pic or both... ;)

12. xmascritters

xmascritters Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2014
    i want to get a star wars tattoo. probably on my back. i want something with boba fett vs someone else more expanded universe. the fight doesnt need to have ever taken place i just am trying to come up with something cool i was thinking boba fett vs mara jade with her purple lightsaber. if anyone has any ideas or cool fan art they can send my way it would be appreciated. thanks for everyones time.

13. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Gotta be honest. Don't do it. Even art on a wall gets old after a while and gets changed. You'll be stuck with this forever.

One of my guy friends had "Julie" on his arm from before I knew him. One day over beers, I said, "So... How's Julie?" Yep. You know the response.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    xmascritters, just in case you wonder, I've merged your thread with this already existing one.

Good luck in finding a good tattoo! [face_good_luck]

15. Spirit of the Wolf

Spirit of the Wolf Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2015
    Me, I've always been fascinated with wolves, and am thinking about getting a wolf tribal tattoo on my upper back shoulder area. Something like this one....

[​IMG]

16. rocksoldier

rocksoldier Chapter Rep: Detroit, MI star 1

Jul 18, 2009
    I have a few tattoos, and I always give this advice to people thinking about getting one...

Don't want a tattoo then try to find something you like, find something that you love then decide to get it as a tattoo. the chances of regretting it later are much less that way.

And don't go crazy with the size, keep it reasonable.

I want to get a Star Wars tattoo, but still haven't found that perfect symbol or piece of art yet. Take your time finding exactly what you want. Even if it takes a couple years to find that perfect thing, its better then living with something you don't love for the rest of your life.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Skiara likes this.
  17. Naeriel

Naeriel Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2015
    I have one tattoo thus far. I work with designers that travel. >.> While I have gotten some of the best designers to draw up bits and pieces, next day they can be up and gone and I never end up with it.
    I have this one designer that is working me up a 3/4 Star Wars sleeve. But meeting with him is a beast. I work on weekends and he is only inking on weekends at my studio and so I never seem to get time to sit down with the guy to chat or even start any outlines since he's always overbooked. /end rant/

but it was meant to start off with Queen Amidala at the top, maybe a senate box or whatnot below her and it devolves into X-wings and TIE fighters, the Falcon, and I was hoping the last piece would be on the inside of my forearm, being Han and Leia kissing. My boyfriend and I both are avid fans and bonded over Star Wars. Probably well overdone, but we're that "I love you" "I know" couple. I call him my scoundrel and yeah. You get my point. It has a deeply personal meaning behind it because he continually day in and out, saves me from myself. anyway, figured I'd do it kinda comic-bookish, since I generally hate portraits and they get effed up. And this designer was amazinnnnng with comic book portraits.

I also want to get maybe on my wrist, a rebel insignia that looks like someone in a starfighter or something bumped into a hot piece of metal and it was sort of branded there. I considered white ink or a scarification.

My biggest advice is to talk to an artist. They're not as uptight and scary as I used to think. They are people, too. and artists. and went through the same thing to decide on what they want and how to portray it. If it's an emotional thing to you, something you truly love, maybe oneday sit with the soundtrack on and let scenes and such pop up in your head. write them down and talk to the designer about it. They can help you design something that is aesthetic, but can be small, big, or anything in between. I shop their portfolios and go for artists whose work speaks to me.

18. Givrsum

Givrsum Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2017
  19. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    There are two options for your tattoo (according to Reader's Digest)

Weird Al

or chocolate cake.

Your pick.

:p

I guess as long as you can hide it because of your job....I would recommend something small.

20. pojes

pojes Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2023
    A new tattoo would be nice. Would want to find a real artist to do it though. Any good ideas? Obviously tattoos can be corny/pretentious/silly but who cares :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Actually, as far as I know it's possible to get a tatoo from every pic/drawing one can find or make. So why not searching for the one you love on the internet and go to a tatoo studio afterwards? They shall turn in into a tatoo - if they are real tatoo artist. Btw, then you even have an artist as well. An tatoo artist. ;)

22. pojes

pojes Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2023
    Thank you so much for your suggestion

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    Skiara likes this.
  23. Man-Doh

Man-Doh Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2023
    Edited: Man-Doh, simply quoting user without adding anything is considered spam. Please, keep this in mind for further participation at this forum. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2023
  24. kingstondouglas

kingstondouglas Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2024
    A new tattoo would be nice. Would want to find a real artist to do it though. Any good ideas? Obviously tattoos can be corny/pretentious/silly but who cares

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024