main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info Index + rules + Q&A

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 14, 2013.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002

Welcome to the Jedi Council (JC) and FanForce (FF)!
    :)

You've found the best place to start. As you know this place is called Welcome New Users (WNU). Here, at the forum not within this thread, you can introduce yourself*, get a first feeling for posting and the community as well as to improve your posting skills and get help, if you have questions. The links below (index) will lead you to the right place.

In addition, this thread can be used as a place to ask Question & get Answer (Q&A). But this shouldn't stop you from posting your question wherever it comes up.

In the end you'll find some rules for the use of socks and for welcoming users. They are pretty simply, but might be handy to know.

Enjoy your stay! :)

*This thread is not for introducing. It would be too much. So I'm going to delete or move those posts ('hi, I'm new' or 'welcome all newbies') soon. If moved, you can find them in the General Welcome Thread. But you are free and more than welcome to post your own welcome thread in WNU or simply say 'hi' at the Newbie Welcome Party. That's more efficient. You'll see.

Index

Informational & Helful Threads:
    - Newbie Adoption
    - Introduction to Social Groups and Threads
    - WNU Guide to FanFics
    - Social guide to Discussing New Star Wars Films
    - Map of the Boards
    - Glossary for Newbies
    - Practice Mark-Up Codes
    - Attention: Cool places to check out!

Question Threads:
    - ...about trophies & ranks

Social Threads:
    - Mos Galacta Space Station
    - Sock Welcome Thread (Halloween-Sock Party)
    - Teh Mole Game
    - Getting to know you: Ask a questions, answer a question!
    - What is your first memory of Star Wars?

SW surveys & researchs:
    - Questions
    - SW research

In case you get heavy problems, please, read the http://boards.theforce.net/threads/sexual-harassment-policy.28943442/{/URL}]Sexual[/URL] Harassment Policy. You'll find an helpful guideline.

(Almost) last but not least, for those who enjoy forum archology:
    - The last/old Index!
    - Tidying up after the big Move

Special Rules

Socks:
    A second/third/fourth/etc. username of an existing main account is called a sock. If you like to use a sock, please, keep the following rules in your mind:
    - Don't have a conversation with yourself by using your main account and your sock(s).
    - Don't post with a sock while your main account or any of your socks is banned due to 'bad behaviour' - only allowed action: Sending a PM to one of the mods to speak about your ban privately. If you get a game-ban (a ban because of losing a game), you are allowed to post with your other usernames.
    - Don't start a welcome thread with your sock. It's unfair for the regulars who are thinking your sock is a brand new user and wanting to help him/her to give him/her a good start here.

Welcoming new members:
    It's pretty cool that you like to welcome our newbies. Just keep in mind that posting the same text over and over again makes a new member feeling of being 'just another one' and less 'individually welcomed' as well as it's considered spam for upping ones post-count. So, if you need to decide, less welcomes but more individuality is a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2018
  2. JoeTattoo

JoeTattoo Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2014
    Good info here.

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks! :)

4. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks so much for making this thread! Really helped me out. One question though: where can I find a list of the ranking systems (for the titles under usernames)? Most of it's intuitive, but a list would be nice in case I ever forget :)

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Obi-yoda likes this.
  6. TheLastMandal0rian

TheLastMandal0rian Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2014
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but what is the "Throw a Dice" choice under More Options that we have on our own posts in threads?

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
  8. NecroRAM

NecroRAM Jedi Knight

May 16, 2014
    Knew about and been lurking theforce.net on and off for more than 10 years now, but never actually registered. So hello everyone, my name is Aram, im 23, from Armenia.

Im mostly interested in lightsaber dueling, so where is the correct board to post about duels?
    Thanks

9. mecaka

mecaka Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2014
    Hi! I'm a little confused about PMing... I signed up for FF challenge where someone is supposed to send me a quote, and I don't know where to see if they did. Thanks!

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Look up in the right-hand corner of the screen. Near your user name you'll see 'Inbox'. If you have a message waiting there will be a number there. To read the message click on the Inbox. BTW - they are called 'conversations' here.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks, Laj! :)

Did it help, mecaka?

12. mecaka

mecaka Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2014
    Yes, thanks! :)

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Great! :)

14. Lady Mary

Lady Mary Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2014
    Hi all, I am very new to all of this.

Is it ok to use this avatar?

Thanks,
    Mary

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Mary! :)

Sure, why not? It's Yoda. :)

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Your avatar is far better than some of the others that are out here. Check out mine for example. :p

17. Lady Mary

Lady Mary Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2014
    Haha, thanks.

18. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    What about old stories that were posted on the other boards and have been mangled during the transfer? Are we allowed to repost them at a reasonable rate? (A chapter a week or so, one at a time?) Or is that verboten? These were works completed in 2005 or so.

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Zonoma, you're speaking about FanFics, right? I'd guess that it would be fine, but it's better to ask the mods of FanFic before starting to repost them. You know where you can find them and how to pm them?

20. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I think Nat's going to show me the ropes in this new forum starting Monday. I can get the skinny from her. :)

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That's a wise decision. She mods it and knows everything in detail! :)

22. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    put this in wrong thread this is the right place I think I have a stupid question is there a list of what you will become with your post count like now I am a Force Ghost

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No prob, poundpuppy29. Your answer will be answered, but you're right: It's best to posting it in the right place. ;)

And here's your answer. In case you need that thread (called 'special features') in the future again, just take a look at the header of WNU. There you'll find it. :)

24. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Thank you Skiara I appreciate it

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You're welcome, poundpuppy29! :) Btw... either quoting or tagging is enough. Both causes an alert (and in this case tagging would be very fine and keeps the thread readable). :)

padawon goulden likes this.