main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge Fanfiction Clue! ~And the winner is...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hello and welcome to a brand spanking new Mod Challenge! Your mods have decided, since we do so much, that we want a little payment. ;) We want a fic written, but just telling you what we want written would be FAR too easy, you will have to guess. Welcome to FanFiction Clue!​
    [​IMG]
    How it will work:
    After signing up in this thread, you’ll be sent a PM with your ‘clue cards’ which will be three things the mods DO NOT want in their fic, be it a character, action or location. Other people will be sent “clue cards’ that are different from yours.​

In order to make a guess as to what the mods want, you will then write a story with what you think the mods want written and post it in the story forums. Since you know they DON’T want what you have, you wouldn’t want to write a fic with those things in it... or maybe you do want to do that to throw people off?? It’s completely up to you. Your fic can be a drabble, or a short fic, but it has to be at least 100 words and make it clear what character, action and location you are guessing.

Others who are participating will then comment on the fic and the first person who can disprove your fic will post “I can disprove this story” in the thread and them PM you with the 1 “clue card” they have that disproves your story. (Please add the mods to any conversations so we can monitor for false information). If you are the first to comment and can’t prove the fic wrong, still comment, but say “I cannot disprove this story”. If someone has already disproven the story, simply comment on how amazing the guess was!

Players will keep writing, posting and disproving each other until someone writes a fic that no one can disprove. That player will then PM the mods to see if their guess is correct. If it is, then they win! If it isn’t, then it’ll be obvious that the fic was not written, it was a random guess and they are out of the game.
    (Confused? See below for an example!)

Yes I said win, but what is the prize?
    Colors, of course, silly! One winner gets colors and a title for a week, not to mention bragging rights of being the first person to win FanFic Clue!

But wait, there’s MORE!
    There are opportunities for readers to get colors too! If you do not want to participate by writing, you can still get colors. If you notice a trend in the fics being guessed, say one particular character, action or location keeps coming up and you think the writers are on to something, PM the mods with your hunch (only 1 of the 3 items can be guessed) and at the end of the game, the first reader to have guessed the correct item from the character list, the first reader to have guessed the correct item from the action list and the first reader to have guessed the correct item from the location list will be given colors for 24 hours. Readers are only allowed 2 guesses, so use them wisely.

[​IMG]

Other things you need to know:

Dates

You will receive your “Clue Cards” by: SEPTEMBER 22 (The game will start then)

• You can only write 2 guesses (stories) per week and must have 3 days between each guess. If you don't get two guesses written in a week, there is no penalty, but you can not write more than 2 guesses in a 7 day period.
    • Please bold your guesses at the top of your story so there is no confusion as to what you are guessing.
    • In this thread will be a complete list of items, we recommend copy/pasting this list to your own document so you can cross things off as you find out the things that the mods do not want.
    • You only need one thread posted in the story forums, each of your stories will go in this thread. Please post a link to your thread here in this thread so we can make a master list of threads to keep things all in one place.
    • Don’t forget to include mavjade and Briannakin when you PM/Convo a disproval of a story.
    • If you can disprove two (or all three) things in a person’s story, you only need to tell the one thing, keep the other(s) to yourself.
    • You must be honest. If you are the first person to read a story and you can disprove the story, you must do it.
    • You may NOT share clues outside of the rules of the game, please don’t even share them with people not writing as readers are also allowed to guess.
    • There is a no tolerance policy for cheating.
    • Strategy is a part of Clue, we want to encourage strategic thinking in this challenge. However, if you are unsure a certain strategy is within the rules, please PM mavjade and Briannakin.
    [​IMG]

Confused? Here is an example:

Writer #1’s gets PM’d with the following Clue Cards:

Jaina Solo
    The Jedi Temple
    Handling a Lightsaber

Writer #1 knows that these three things are NOT what the mods want in the story so Writer #1 looks at the master list of items and writes a story like so:
    Character: Han Solo - Location: Hoth – Action: Flying the Falcon

Han Solo hated being cold. He always figured that he would be able to live his life how he wanted, where he wanted, but now he found himself stuck on an ice planet called Hoth with a bunch of do-gooders looking for any help they could get, including his. The thing he hated most was that he wanted to just jump in the Falcon and just fly away, but every time he tired, he found himself pulled back in. It was the kid and the princess, despite himself, they had grown on him and he just couldn’t leave them hanging.

Writer #2 has the following Clue Cards:

Luke Skywalker
    Hoth
    Flying a X-Wing

Writer #2 Would then comment on the story (actual comments about things you liked about the story are highly encouraged!) and say “I can disprove this story” somewhere in their comment.
    If they are the first person to say so about that particular story they would then PM Writer #1, mavjade and Briannakin and say they can disprove the story with the Clue Card “Hoth”.

Writer #1 would then cross Hoth off their own personal list and they would write another story once at least 3 days had passed since they wrote the last story.

[​IMG]

BookExogorth likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Master List

Characters:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Darth Sidious/Palpatine
    Padmè Amidala
    Anakin Skwalker/Darth Vader
    Luke Skywalker
    Han Solo
    Leia Organa
    Mara Jade

Actions

Baking a cake
    Committing a murder
    Flying a ship
    Grieving for a loved-one
    Tossing ewoks
    Petting a Pittin
    Repairing a weapon
    Dueling with a Lightsaber and/or blaster

Locations

Jedi Temple
    Hoth
    Coruscant
    Ewok Village
    Star Destroyer
    Tatooine
    Death Star
    An asteroid

Story Threads

Chilla's Clue Thread
    earlybird-obi-wan's Clue Thread
    Jabari's Clue Thread
    Jedi_lover's Clue Thread
    KELIA'S Clue Thread
    Willard Decker's Clue Thread
    VanishingReality's Clue Thread

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Announcements:

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wow - this is cool!

Sign me up.

5. HinkleFieldhouse

HinkleFieldhouse Jedi Padawan

Sep 1, 2013
    This sounds interesting. Count me in.

--Captain Decker

6. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    This sounds completely confusing. Sign me up please!

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We know it's not the most straight-forward challenge, so we're more than happy to answer any questions.

Jabari likes this.
  8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I can't wait to read these stories.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just going to bump this up and say there is still time to sign up! It's gonna be a lot of fun!

10. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    So....if I got this right, there will be a list of all the potential characters, locations and actions and we can cross the disproved ones out? And the fellow writers will state in their comment if they can disprove something, but what that something is will actually only be disclosed to the author of the story, not the general public?

Hm.....hm.... [face_thinking]

Can you give a rough timeframe/era for the game? I think I might join, but I'm worried about the story being about some character or location I don't know, since I quit reading the books after Invincible.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes that is correct.

For the most part we are sticking with movie characters and locations, but there may be one or two EU characters that are well known (ex: Mara Jade) depending on the number of participants. We wanted this to be as accessible as possible, so even people who haven't read the EU at all will still be able to participate.

This challenge will be so much more fun with more people, so everyone reading this should consider joining!

Jabari likes this.
  12. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Okay, that sounds good.

I thought so, too. Count me in. I need to kick myself into writing again (last time I wrote was back in 2011).

13. HinkleFieldhouse

HinkleFieldhouse Jedi Padawan

Sep 1, 2013
    Although movie characters and locations will be used as the primary elements of each story, are we allowed to work OCs into the plot as we would with any other story? Thanks!

--Captain Decker

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Of course! Work whatever you want into the guesses! We say 100 words is the minimum for each guess - there is no max! Make each guess as simple, or elaborate as you wish.

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, I'll give it a try. I am bad at these games though.

16. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I want to give it a try too. (Would including the characters from the clue card into my story be an automatic lose?)

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Not at all. Hypothetically you could even guess your clue cards to throw people off.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What will be the time that this is running? Months, weeks?

I will try

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We honestly don't know. If someone gets that one lucky guess, it could be over the first day (the chances of that are slim). We estimate it may run a few weeks. If it gets too long and everyone agrees, we can shorten it.

20. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Question: I'm mostly lurking on and off right now and hardly ever post. Hence (if I should manage to win) I think that colors for one week wouldn't really be interesting for me. Is there any way to change it from "one week" to ....let's say "the next 20 posts" or something like that? If not, I'll just do it for the bragging right. :p
    Just kidding. I need to kick my inner author into activity again. And it will be fun!

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Chilla - There isn't really a way to set that up because we mods have to manually assign the colors, there really isn't something we put in that says 'this user get colors for so long'. Sorry!

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Alright, now that everyone has their clue cards and the master list is posted up above, let the games begin!

Just as a side note, please post a link here of your story thread once you start and post here every time you post a guess so that everyone knows. You should also keep an eye out here for announcements, encase I’ve done something stupid or if we want to take a vote on something (say if it is dragging on too long, we’ll take a vote on if/how we want to move it along quicker) Thanks!

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! I am leaving in a few hours for a trip and won't be back for a week. Is there a certain time you want the first round of stories done?

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nope, but if you miss the first week (meaning your first 2 guesses) you can't make up for it by posting 4 next week, you can still only do 2.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I started a story. I will be back Friday afternoon, so maybe I will have something by Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.