main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion To Sith or not to Sith? -NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Should the Sith return in Episode VII

1. YES! Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy!

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. NO! He is the chosen one. He will bring balance.

28 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't consider ghosting to be the same as "coming back". Plus from what I recall about the Force ghosting that Obi-Wan and Yoda learned from Qui-Gon, it was supposed to be a light-side-only power. I wouldn't want that to change.

2. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Anakin came back as a Force ghost after his death and he had no time at all to learn how to do it through the Light side of the Force. If he did learn the power to come back it had to be while he was a Lord of the Sith and most likely he learnt the power from his Master....Sidious.

Maharishineo likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Uh, no, there is no way in hell I'll believe that he learned how to do that from Sidious.

I don't think he'd use a Sidious-obtained power after returning to the Light Side, nor do I think Obi-Wan and Yoda would want him in their ghostly presence if he did.

I think Obi-Wan and Yoda were able to help him Force-ghost quickly.

4. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Yoda and Obi-Wan are strong with the Force but you can't tell me they taught a DEAD Anakin how to become a Force ghost....the only way they could have communicated with him after he died was if he was a ghost already and where would he have learnt that power, from the only person in his life who was strong enough with the Force...Sidious!

I have my fingers crossed that the Sith will return in VII and that Sidious will play a part in their revival...to me Star Wars without the Sith just isn't Star Wars.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not opposed to Sith returning but if Sidious is back, I'll save myself the cost of a ticket.

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    According to The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, this is true.

Anyways, I don't want anymore Sith. But I would not object to a lightsaber duel from some kind of Jedi-killing badass.
    [​IMG]

VanishingReality likes this.
  7. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013

What makes everybody so sure of this?

Who died that Palpatine would've saved if he could? Padme's passing meant Anakin was all his. Everybody else was a meaningless pawn. (It could be argued that Palpatine might have had a hand in keeping Anakin alive through all of his burns/pain.) After looking it up on Wookiepedia I guess they were able to assemble a reasonable timeline but from his appearance alone in TPM, I always assumed that he would've been ancient by RotJ and (after hearing his conversation with Anakin) I thought that maybe he was able keep himself alive far longer than what's natural through those powers.

I haven't read the Plageous novel but I imagine immortality through manipulation of the Force and other unnatural methods doesn't prevent murder, which is why he couldn't keep himself from dying.

8. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    back to the main topic. it could go well either way. both possibilities have pros and cons. it could depend on how much of a roll the sith play. I feel too many fans will have already decided if there should be sith or not. either way some fans will not be satisfied

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sidious flat-out said that he didn't know how to do it and that he and Anakin would discover the secret together. And Anakin bought it because in his mind, that was a better answer than "no," which is what Yoda told him.

Doing evil to seek immortality is a pretty common theme in fantasy. See also: Harry Potter. See also: LOTR. I'd be fine if the ST explored this further.

But here's the catch: these attempts at immortality are not supposed to be successful in the long run, even if they are successful temporarily. That's why I don't want Sidious returning.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The problem with "Jedi-killing badasses" is that if they can't use the Force then in theory they shouldn't be much of a problem for Jedi.

But Sidious didn't have the power. From Qui-Gon in the ROTS novelization: The ultimate goal of the Sith, yet they can never achieve it; it comes only by the release of self, not the exaltation of self.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Here's the problem with having Sith: As a wise man (I believe it was Roger Ebert but am not sure) once said: A good sequel takes the characters and continues the story. A bad sequel takes the characters and simply retells the same story again. He was talking about individual movies, but I think the logic would certainly apply to trilogies. If the sequels are just the same old Jedi vs. Sith - i.e. Jedi in charge with Sith trying to take over - then it comes dangerously close to Ebert's adage.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, isn't it pretty much inevitable that someone will be using the dark side in the sequels? Whoever it is might not end up being Sith in name but would still be a darksider.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Oh, I agree..... the writers of the movie certainly have a challenge before them. I have faith in Abrams to come up with something good but not redundant.

14. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Palpatine wasn't just any normal Sith Lord though and quite a few years had passed from Qui-Gon dying and Sidious taking power

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Grievous didn't have the Force, and he killed plenty of Jedi.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    And thus he's still about self-exaltation, only more so.

It just seems like a competent Jedi should simply be able to Force push him the way Obi-Wan did.

17. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Grievous was just a silly character. He has four arms, that he can operate independently. Why is he allowing Kenobi to block all four strikes? High/Low him and cut him down.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, he does the same thing to Ventress.

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If you are doing that much exposition you are doing it wrong. How much exposition did we have explaining the Sith in ANH? Very little. You don't tell them that information, you show them that information. You let their minds figure it through actions and visuals.

Why do you think this new organization has to strongly resemble the Sith? Compare and contrast the Joker with the Sith. Both extremely dangerous villians, but completely different motivations and ideologies. The Sith are about power and control, the Joker is about destruction.

Anyways if you bring back the Sith you have to go through all of the exposition of how that happened which would be about the same amount of exposition anyways. It makes sense that there would be other non-Sith force users out there, it doesn't make sense that there would be other Sith relatively shortly after they had all just been killed.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    We didnt have much exposition about the Sith in ANH because everything was new. We've since had six movies with which to familiarize ourselves with the setting. To have an individual or organization which resembles -but is distinct from- an integral part of those six movies is inefficient storytelling, to say the least. Why reinvent the wheel?

By comparison, there are myriad ways to efficiently explain why our expectactions about the established are shown to be incorrect.

21. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm not trying to start a war or anything, but why do many people want Plageius as the bad guy?

22. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I'm not sure how they could get away with not having the sith at all. They've been battling each other for centuries, and what all the sudden it just stops? Maybe for awhile, but I don't think they could do it forever. The dark side is always present, and as long as it's there, someone will tap into it. I wouldn't complain if the sith weren't in the ST, but I don't think they can completely ignore the sith.

23. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I guess it depends on how far it goes. I agree, due to human nature and the nature of the Force, SOMEONE will be seduced by the dark side, and therefore is going to cause trouble for the galaxy and the Jedi. It has to be something other than a "here-we-go-again" kind of sensation, for sure, but we can't call it quits on the dark side.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That was the point of RotJ. Besides, you don't need to be a Sith to tap into the dark side.

25. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I don't get that. Why couldn't the Sith be able to ghost as well? Or is it, well, the Sith get to use lightning and the Jedi get to ghost? Whaaaaaat? Shouldn't the rules be the same for everyone since they're all a part of the force. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter".