main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Master Filmmaking Team announced! JJ now writing the script

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

I agree it's not ESB/ANH level but higher then most. The thing is many masterpieces have had these kind of things happen before. Alien, Blade Runner, the entire OT. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

No. For a start these things don't always follow logic. And I can tell you from personal experience that the delay between someone starting work on a script and any kind of official announcement being made can be a very long time indeed, so months would in no way be unusual.

By your logic, there would never be any announcements when new writers came aboard a project - they would all be announced when the shooting script was locked. And that's blatantly not what happens.

I think the rest of the crew were announced to sweeten the potential uproar, and I also think they wanted to get this stuff out there before the Investor report.

3. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

Ya people are just jumping to worst case scenario as quickly as possible.

4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I like your optimistic view. It may very well be no big deal. I hope it's not a big deal and just some kinks are being ironed out. If nothing else Disney is brilliant in their tactic because we're discussing this ad nauseum and even non-hardcore SW fans are seeing this news. Reminds me of the old adage, "there's no such thing as bad press."

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, you make a good point and I generally adhere to similar thinking, however Arndt's latest work before E7 was Hunger Games. IF he was removed because Abrams didn't like the story I believe this could be -- note I only said could and it's utter speculation on my part -- but his handling of the youthful relationships in SW just might have been too similar to Hunger Games or Twilight. In that case we could all be thankful that someone nixed that crap right in the butt.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wasn't Kasdan brought in a year before the release of ESB to rewrite the script and that still came out on schedule. They have more time to re-write what they need to with Episode VII and production won't take as long either.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I think that's fair. To be honest I think it's a valid concern in Hollywood these days. It's not just Hunger Games and Twilight, it's so much of Hollywood that has gone for this shallow youthful hero approach that dims in comparison to true classics (which include ANH and ESB).

9. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes, it wasn't a full rewrite (most, but not all of Brackett's script was utilized), but I think that's a fair comp.

10. handofluke

handofluke Jedi Padawan

Jun 30, 2013
    While the news is a bit concerning, (if Kasdan and Abrams were just polishing the script Arndt wouldn't have been taken off entirely-it's probably a huge rewrite), there is nothing to freak out about. Don't believe all the little rumors from "insiders".

Remember one thing, every one of the OT films had huge production problems. All three. And they turned out fine. No reason Episode VII won't.

Diggs and Echo-07 like this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Am I missing something this is not exactly the news I was looking for .....this is the news before THE NEWS if you know what I mean..................

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But that's not what the PR was about. You're ignoring half of the release and focusing on only a part. It was about the creative team being officially announced. That's why it had that liner.

And again, production is still scheduled to start in earlay 14. You think theyre starting over and expect to shoot in four months?

No.

13. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    The one thing here that ticks me off, is where was he with this tweet a week ago (at least the first half). He's just throwing coals on the fire in my opinion.

TheStorm and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I normally do not delve into what I think that folks should do regarding their business, but if they want to calm the unhinged hysteria on the nets, they would do well to announce some cast ASAP. That would at least give folks a sense of stability to the project.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  15. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

"As Episode VII continues pre-production, Lawrence Kasdan and director J.J. Abrams have assumed screenwriting duties for the film. Kasdan, who has been serving as a consultant on the film, is a veteran of several classic Lucasfilm productions, writing the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark and serving as co-screenwriter for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Acclaimed director and screenwriter Abrams' credits include Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Fringe, and Lost. This script will be a complete rewrite because Michael Arndt's script was terrible. And Zac Efron has been cast. And George Lucas is directing again."

How did you miss that? :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I agree 100% (even if it's solely for selfish reasons).

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yep. I don't give a rat's ass what Joe Blow Anonymous says about the script at this point, good or bad -- only when the movie is out will WE know how good it is.

Imagine if the internets exited back during the OT days???? We'd have thought that SW would NEVER be made OR would be the biggest garbage committed to film.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Exactly. It's easy for him to say that now.

Skywalker Thing, TheStorm and Echo-07 like this.
  19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    That said, I don't think that it is owed to us. The only thing that I am really worried about is them getting this movie right. If that takes a delay, so be it. To be honest, while I would be thrilled with a cast announcement, I would REALLY enjoy it especially if it would shut the pie holes of the Negative Nancy's around here.

20. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, for someone who said he was "done", you sure are spending an awful lot of time hanging around. If I was convinced a movie was going to suck, the last thing I would do with my time is hang around a forum discussing that movie.

21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

I think people have been hearing things for a while now but are some wary of just putting everything out there without anything to back it up. Makes sense to put that tweet out there in the light of this news. Interestingly, someone else in reply to that has said they'd heard the script was a complete prequel apology tour. So everyone can make up their minds on whether it's a good or bad thing it's being revised.

Skywalker Thing and Echo-07 like this.
  22. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I couldn't help but think this several times myself. I probably would have had a panic attack when Brackett died.

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Woah, it was vastly different. Vastly. Some of the broad beats and ideas remain but Brackett's script is pretty much nothing like Kasdan's draft.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't mind a delay. Heck, I thought they never should have announced a release date back when they bought it. yeah, I know Disney wanted to try and please some shareholders by saying don't worry about this debt we just assumed. Look at what's coming. But still, Lucas should have made it a stipulation the film will be released when its finished. That's it.

25. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I don't know how an "apology tour" would work but I don't want them trying to rewrite the prequels with the ST OR disavowing it in any way. Those who hate the PT can eat the hate IMO and we all should just move forward. IF it indeed was an apology tour then it most definitely should've been re-written. And since George has been talking to JJ constantly I can see that JJ would want to honor George's story and George will NOT have written an "apology tour."

DarthBrian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.