main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Master Filmmaking Team announced! JJ now writing the script

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'd be happier if I saw more names like John Knoll and Dennis Muren.

2. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Apparently, they are in pre-production on what they already have, including production and costume design, which I an optimistically going to interpret as they will not be changing the script too drastically. Also, Kennedy says, "I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," which to me indicates the story outlined by Lucas and filled in by Arndt is basically still in place and Kasdan and Abrams are merely polishing. This is my hope, in any case. She is happy with the story in place, and Kasdan is there to make it feel like legit Star Wars and Abrams is going to make it hip.

I hope the above is true, in any case. What I have wanted all along is to see what George Lucas had in mind for a new trilogy, just with the particulars executed by other people. The fact that Lucas himself chose Arndt to write the script, even before the Disney deal, endeared Arndt to me. Arndt made it feel like Lucas still had some control over the direction of the story. So I am sad to see him go, but hopefully it is not as meaningful an event as we fear it may be.

Please, please let this be true. An "apology tour" would be my worst fears realized. It would only further divide the fanbase and be a smack in the face to the generation that genuinely enjoys the prequels, telling them that the "original" fans are the only ones worth catering to.

3. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Not feeling this news. As far as writing Arndt > JJ. The Kasdan inclusion with the script seems more like a way to allay any dissent, though it will actually be just JJ. This is JJ, so it won't be just tweaking off of the Arndt screenplays. KK's thanking Ardnt's contributions was very "to put it politely."

4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

This. And I suspect that's what JJ felt as well, hence the Devin rumours that now seem fairly on the money.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Echo-07 I agree. What the heck story-wise would they have to apologize for? Is the ST script going to mention that people had bad dialogue back in the clone war days?

Seriously, story-wise, at least with the broad beats, the PT told a very good story.

But you dont spend an entire ST film making amends. Move forward and do your own thing. That's what ESB did compared to ANH and that's why it's the best.

handofluke and Echo-07 like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This doesn't bode very well to me. If it's simply a matter of polishing up the script or even rewriting it based on Lucas's treatments, I could be ok with that, but if it was just a polish then why does J.J. need to be a writer when you already have Kasdan who if nothing else is certainly qualified to do that himself? Really though it's Devin's report that has me most concerned...

"My understanding is that the tension was about a lot of issues, including release dates and schedules, but also about the script. Abrams wasn't satisfied with what Michael Arndt had written and wanted to take a crack at it. While it was announced today, I heard they scrapped the entire Arndt script as early as July, but I didn't know that meant they were scrapping Arndt as well.
    What's the big change? My sources tell me that the focus of the story has changed in a big way, that it's a whole new set of characters being followed than in the Arndt script. I don't want to say much more than that, because I just don't know how in flux things are and I'm sick of being misquoted on this stuff, but it seems like there's a complete overhaul. Top to bottom. This isn't a rewrite, this is a completely different movie with different main characters."

If this is true, then it sounds like Lucas's story is out the window because Abrams thinks he knows better. And if that's the case then this is very troubling news indeed.

7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Actually a lot of it was used. All of Hoth (granted the Wampas played much larger role), the pursuit of the Falcon, Yoda (granted a different name), Cloud City (though that was reworked). A lot of it was utilized. It's still fairly recognizable.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I have no idea. I have no idea if the guy that tweeted it has any idea either. I just thought I'd put it out there for the completists.

I have issues with the execution of the PT (though not the overall story) but I agree, the ST needs to evolve and progress on from the OT. We don't want a rehash.

9. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Even if they are the only ones worth catering to... ;)

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

I've read it. It's vastly different to me.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's exactly how I took it as well. I know some say that Kennedy's words look like spin but I think they knew that new writers were going to cause people to freak out (this thread is exhibit A :p) and they wanted to allay fears and make it known that Arndt's story is still in place. They're happy with it and are simply reworking it to make sure it also fits JJ's vision too as they begin production.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I really don't see how Kasdan stepping back up to the plate can be a bad thing for anyone who loves SW, especially when he's working odd the shoulders of an oscar-winning writer who was already standing on GL's shoulders. And JJ is no slouch either. If/ When the Horsemen appear, then we can legitimately freak out.

13. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Well since we've both read it, don't you agree that the basis of the story is the same? I mean it still follows that arc, I don't see Kasdan's script as a complete rewrite. He gets rid of the Wampa attacks, he changes Cloud City, he allows for Han to be frozen (though that was more due to Harrison Ford's contract status), and he rids the Vader lair scenes, but the main arc is followed in my opinion. Some of the scenes are nearly identical.

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What makes you think Lucas' story is out the window? That's clearly not the case. Kathy Kennedy just said in the press release they have a great story in place.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    script problems when you have an Oscar winner doing the screenplay? This sounds like "irreconcilable differences" to me between Arndt & Abrams. I was actually more excited about the idea of Arndt writing it than Abrams directing it.

Can't really see this as positive news right now - it could turn out very well, and obviously Kasdan has the track record here, but so far they're not exactly off to a flying start, are they? :p

I suppose anything is better than Lucas coming up with stuff shooting from the hip and then hiring people to try to bandage his horribad scripts. [face_laugh]

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Some of the beats are, based on George's story. The dialogue and characterisation are radically different. I think Lucas gave her the credit out of respect for her, but I'm not sure if it were to go to accreditation that she would now.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    YES! Also let us not forget that both abrams and Kasdan will be working on this day and night for the next two months if need be. I don't think there is cause for panick in any regard YET there have been some (handful of members here) as well as ****head Tweeters who have spun this as negatively as possible for some reason, some unknown agenda, just to bask in the discord. Maybe they were the babies who had their "childhood raped" by a movie. LOL [face_laugh] So sad . . . . smh

I would not be surprised if we still got some news next Weds in order to counter-balance all the negativity these crybabies and whiners have wrought today. And IF we don't get any news, as I've always said, I will just go along with theirde anyway -- Haters be damned! :D

Darkslayer and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was pointing out the overblown nature of the announcement's title, not claiming that I cracked a code or anything. Hence the "intentional or not." Your cleverly placed "no" is wasted, as I never said anything about shooting schedules.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I was referring to Devin's story which I quoted. If that's true then I don't see how they can still be using Lucas' story. Devin also said that they threw away Arndt's script in July, which is enough time to have a new story in place by now.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You need to read my posts particularly then in order to get a positive read . . . seriously. :p

22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Not just that, if Badass Digest is telling the truth the script was scrapped in July. So why have they been casting since then if the script is only now being completely overhauled from the ground up with new characters?

If you ask me this sounds like they're looking at giving the script one or two more drafts, using the current script as a template.

23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, I don't think Lucas's story treatments are out the door. But. it is entirely possible that Arndt script is. They may mine some things that they like, but it looks like an overhaul...

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  24. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I guess I see the plot as being the most important part. As far as characterization I think most of it is similar, but they've revamped some things. The main tone of Luke, Yoda, and Vader stay the same to me, Han and Leia are beefed up. Of course Lando comes into play and makes a big impact.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  25. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Devin is most likely extrapolating from what he's heard. He's not 100% certain himself. He may well be right though.

Julius - writing screenplays myself, from my POV, there's a huge amount of writing goes into the characterisation and dialogue to the extent that two different writers could effectively tell the same basic plot with very different outcomes on the page/ screen, and that's the feeling I got from the Kasdan/ Brackett drafts. Fascinating to read though. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I should have another look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.