main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I guess there are an alarming number of people on this board who can't count. That's alright though, you have iPhones to keep track of dates and times for you now :p

Anyway, good episode. Looks like things are finally getting into gear.

Thoughts:

I. JINORA, finally!
    II. If Asami believes those two clowns for an instant, she doesn't deserve to run a giant company.
    III. Obvious villain continues to be obvious.
    IV. Also, the whole pre-episode narration was really weird... "Korra learns the universe is about to end, and Bolin is a mover-star!"

So, Wocky, tell us all how Unalaq is still a hero :p

Everton likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    See now, this episode had a good balance of Kataang family drama, Republic City intrigue, and, well, Korra. And yeah, I'm of the mind that Unalaq has been grievously misled by Vaatu, rather than being an out-and-out villain.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    One should hope so, since "free me so I can destroy you and everyone you love" is really not a compelling offer...

cdgodin, Ghost and CooperTFN like this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I really wish that were the case, Todd. But the show seems to be going out of its way to obliterate anything that could make the conflict interesting or understandable For instance, why does he treat his own children so awfully? After heaping verbal abuse on them, he is depicted as literally not caring that his son is about to die. He never even turns his head to look back. What is this? As cruel as he was, at least the Fire Lord seemed to appreciate his family in limited, self-serving ways. They aren't even letting Unalaq muster that anymore.

It was a really interesting choice to lock Tenzin out of the Spirit World. As for the rest of the episode. . .

Ulicus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Two words- he's possessed. ;)

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I suppose no spoilers are needed, right?

The good:
    I really liked a lot of things in this episode. Korra reconciling with Tenzin, apologizing to him and her acknowledging she's made a huge mess of things. If she needed to rush things, it was only because she knew time was of the essence. And I like that it briefly goes back to the Tenzin B-plot of him trying to live up to Aang's legacy in that he feels that he's the one most in tune with the spirits and he will guide the Avatar in the Spirit World. But Aang of course would still be proud since it's Aang's granddaughter that will fulfill the role. Jinora is, as expected, The Guide. I like how the show and the other characters make it seem like Jinora is a tad crazy for seeing and playing with invisible spirits, and that Jinora is seemingly fascinated with helping Korra, studying the past Avatars, and finally learning about Wan after that segment with Wan's statue.

Funny moments were funny moments, like how Tenzin gets unintentionally irate with everyone who's trying to help. Also like how Varrick, villain that he is, is still quirky with his walking in hot coals. Makes you almost forget he's a villain with his own agenda. Speaking of villains, Unalaq and the twins are getting interesting again. Desna and Eska in particular are worth noticing as they're not being the creepy mctwins anymore, with Unalaq being so obsessed he doesn't care that his own son is hurt, and that Eska left her father to take care of Desna. Makes me wonder what'll happen with the two once we reach the climax. And as expected, Unalaq intends to release Vaatu. We can safely say now that Vaatu is the true mastermind in this season. Unalaq is likely only being manipulated, and Varrick has his own ulterior motive.

The bad:
    Urgh, those two cops annoy me to no end. What the heck is Lin doing with them anyway? I hope they get their just desserts, and that Lin is secretly playing the fool. It would totally redeem her character this season.

The meh:
    Did Studio Pierott handle this one? Normally I don't pay attention to this kind of stuff, but at times the faces felt a bit off. Nothing really deal-breaking for me, but it's just something noticeable.

As for the stuff involving Mako, Bolin and Asami, by now the Bolin the chewtoy stuff is getting tiresome. But I can understand that Asami and Bolin do not want to suspect Varrick; he gave the two of them something they sorely wanted. And then the Mako-Asami relationship has started again. Not much I can say about that, except that AT LEAST this time, Mako is not cheating.

The speculation:
    Now that we're in the Spirit World, I can't wait for Korra's and Jinora's journey and what'll happen. On the B-side, with Mako arrested, and Asami bearing witness to it, I hope it'll give her sense that Varrick may be up to no good, starring making trouble in the neighborhood. Given how that Asami hasn't had much to do, I hope next episode will involve her taking the forefront much like what Mako did in The Sting.

All in all, totally worth the two week wait. 5/5.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Asami, I am so disappointed in you. AND YOU TOO MAKO.

YAY Jinora!!

I am super intrigued about Densa and Eska now. Because this is really the first time we've been them disobey their father, so I'm HOPING this will continue into some kind of growth for them.

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Did anybody else get a major ROTJ "Vader and Palpatine" vibe from Unalaq and Vaatu there at the end? :p

"Luke Skywalker will come to us."
    "Who's that?"
    "Oops- meant to say Korra."

edit: I wonder if Jinora is going to get killed off. I know, I know- it's a children's show. But after Rue's death in Hunger Games, anything is possible.

cdgodin and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate you so much right now

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    With how some of the trailers had that Korra apologizing to Tenzin moment, I had hoped Tenzin would be of more help, but at least at the end he finally accepted it gracefully that he couldn't help Korra with the spiritual stuff, but instead its up to Jinora. I liked that it built up from when Aang's kids were arguing earlier, that even Tenzin the airbender doesn't have the spiritual sense, which seems to be expected of an airbender (as they seem the most spiritual), but that he eventually just accepted it. Though Tenzin usually is one of the more mature ones, although he's not perfect either (like when he snapped at Meelo) and he is truly concerned about Korra and the world and all that. Tenzin said they would protect their bodies while they're on their spiritual journey, wonder how many dark spirits will attack.

Mako continues to be the only person with a brain in Republic City. Bolin's never been that sharp, and he's living it up as a "mover" star, and neither Asami or Bolin wants to doubt their benefactor, but still. And I don't mind Mako and Asami, they've always gotten along well, and without Korra around, yeah. Although I liked that Mako and Asami remained friends even after they broke up. Ugh, those two cops again, and what have they done to LIn's character?! Really, arresting Mako? What happened to her brain? She's done nothing useful the whole season. Just about her one entertaining moment was mentioning she wrecked Air Temple Island after she and Tenzin broke up (not exactly a nice response, but she is Toph's daughter). At least Mako resisted Varrick's threat but now its up to Asami. Maybe Bolin could help but they're probably going to drag out that storyline a bit more (him being an uppity movie star jerk, despite how he's already being treated). Good writing though with how even while he's outright threatening Asami and Bolin, Varrick is still his wacky self, though now its a bit more chilling.

Nice to see Eska showing some independent thought- her father probably couldn't care less about either of them. At least she cares about her brother, while her father is just trying to use brute force on the portal. Although I'm half afraid that Unalaq is going to hold Jinora hostage and force Korra to open the northern portal or something like that. And yeah, Unalaq's evil, since he's taking orders directly from Vaatu. Though wonder if Unalaq has a greater plan in mind other than just releasing ultimate evil (he's supposed to have studied up on spirits, he can't have missed the part about Vaatu being the embodiment of darkness).

I was half expecting Korra would have had to fight her way through the southern army to get to the portal, and then that would tie up the Republic city plot, but looks like they're staying separate for now. On the one hand, that means Korra's plot is substantially better, on the other that means almost everyone in Republic City remains annoying (funny how Mako has turned out one of the smartest character in the show, especially since his breakup with Korra).

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What's the deal with Lin now? It would be one thing if she was equally skeptical of all unsolicited tips or leads. But she literally launched a same day raid on Mako's home over an accusation by known criminals. He then gets absolutely no credit for making a huge confession about it. Why isn't she this excited about newly discovered crime scene evidence brought to her by one of her own officers? She won't even consider Mako's theories, but she'll issue warrants and make arrests based on the opinion of the mob?

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Good grief, Lin is going full-court with the Idiot Ball. Also, I'm going to start calling that spirit Darth Vaatu, since it totally sounds like Vader to me.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm sorry! :( But I just can't stop asking myself, "Why Jinora? Why Jinora?"

Wocky, it's patently obvious that Lin is being set up to having a Crowning Moment of Awesome and Bad-ass when in the penultimate or final episode she reveals she was playing a long game and knew Mako was right all along.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I agree, Coruscant. I definitely think the show would be stronger if she died. It really does seem like they're headed that way. The only question is how best to accomplish it?

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Maybe she's the Leia to Korra's Luke in this scenario, and Vaatu uses Jinora to enrage Korra and prod her towards the dark side, so to speak.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Maybe she'll be the Shmi to Korra's Anakin, and it will prompt some dangerous event where she crosses the line, but doesn't stay there permanently. It'll set a time bomb that leads us into the next season, and Korra will have to ultimately decide whether she is good or evil.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You are a petty, awful little man, Wocky.

And Coruscant, you're worse for encouraging him! I don't know why you had to think such awfully dark thoughts, but now you see where such things lead. You've brought glee to Vaatu-wocky.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah I'll just go ahead and admit I'm terribly bitter about how they're treating Unalaq. I actually think it would be a dumb idea to kill Jinora, and totally out of place for a chidlren's show besides. My only real goal here was to keep you speculating because I saw how much it unnerved Jello, and he was far too happy about such a terrible episode.

19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I thought Jello was one of your "allies." Why do you treat an ally so?

Anyway, Jello, I was just rambling. I'm sure Jinora is perfectly safe.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't know. Why did Unalaq go from a decent character to some jerk who sits around idly chatting with a satanic manta ray before he pauses even one second to wonder about his dying son?

Ulicus likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    To... get to the other side?

22. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Obvious. Eska and Desna are too creepy for words; I wouldn't lift a finger to save either of them.

23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Given the situation, you really think Ikki or Meelo would be better guide candidates that Jinora?

24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, Meelo would be perfect! They could fart their way around the Spirit World! I daresay, a missed opportunity, Bryke, a. missed. opportunity.

25. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I can't believe I never noticed that Sally from Mad Men is voicing Jinora.

CooperTFN and Darth Xalfrea like this.