main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tell us if you have seen a film recently

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sith-I-5, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Based on the Man of Steel thread.

So, I saw The Heat this week. Tuesday probably.

I should probably say what its about - Sandra Bullock's un-liked FBI agent has to partner a Boston PD detective, Melissa MacCarthy, who bullies her co-workers and superiors to catch a drug lord.

NOTHING about the trailers promoted it as remotely funny, so I had no plans to see it, but I encountered four viewers' feedback online; three US, one UK, and unanimously, all said they laughed all the way through.

I thought it started bland, but acquitted it very well will uproarious laughs later on, with Melissa MacCarthy carrying the comedy.

Had a kind of Seventies feel to it, like it was made in that era. Good movie.

Yoshee likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw The World's End (new Simon Pegg film) the week after it opened at the local cinema. I enjoyed it. That's the most recent one I've seen in the cinema.

3. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    The Heat was hilarious. World War Z,, on the other hand, was horrible.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked the book World War Z but the film reviews did suck. I'll catch it on satellite eventually.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I saw The Conjuring

Despite having pretty much every cliché in the horror manual and being predictable, it had very effective scares and executed them in an old-school way which makes it stand out from the gore-heavy modern horrors.

Also saw The Wolverine which I liked being a fan of the character. It was certainly better than the Origins movie, not that that is hard :p

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Very rarely go to the cinema.

Last film I saw was Scary Movie 5. Not great by any means, but certainly passable

7. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I saw Kick Ass 2 last night. Right up my street so enjoyed it thoroughly.

World War Z was excellent too.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I also saw Kick Ass 2, it was fun though I thought it was not as good as the first one.

9. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    This Is The End was the best movie I've seen this summer. In fact, I'll present a bold statement: it's the best epic comedy I've seen since Ghostbusters.

Yoshee likes this.
  10. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Man of Steel is still the last film I went to see. Loved it. A tad nervous about the sequel though!

11. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, bloody brilliant.

"Jurassic Park!"

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Jurassic Park 3D in IMAX is awesome, it is an experience such a movie was made for.

I also saw Elysuim. It's OK, I found it a bit pretentious and it took longer than it needed to get where it was going.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Now You See Me

A fun romp though the ending is a bit silly

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Looks like we have been doing our bit to support the cinematic industry. :)

I watched 2Guns last week. Very packed, very twisty. Good action.

Mark Wahlberg was drokking wasted as a singer (as in his pre-acting career), and Denzel Washington was his usual sublime self. Given the storyline, I don't see how there would be a sequel, but I would definitely love to see one.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I liked 2 Guns, the acting was good and the action was entertaining. Looked like Washington & Wahlberg had fun doing it.

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Saw World's End and Kickass 2. Both disappointing, though I suppose I went in with massive expectations of both and shouldn't have. They weren't bad, just underwhelming.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen Kickass 2 (didn't see the first one either) but I liked World's End. The fact that I like Pegg and Frost probably had quite a bit to do with that.

18. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I think the let-down of World's End was that I was expecting a parody of all the apolcalyptic action films and instead all that happened was a shoutout with Bill Nighy and then a Marvin-esque give up.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Was August the end of our film-seeing season?

I am getting interested in the Thor: The Dark World trailers. Be nice to see him and his Bro' Loki working together.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Last one I saw in the cinema was the Pegg film. I want to see Gravity though.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Picturehouse cinemas are advertising a newly restored version of F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu which will be screened on Thursday. Might be wroth seeing, it is a classic after all.

I saw Prisoners recently. It was good, though quite long and despite that it left some things unexplained which was a bit frustrating.

I hope to see Thor on wednesday

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Saw Gravity in 3D at the local Vue this morning. Highly recommended!

Yoshee likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So it seems, I've yet to see it get a bad review.

I saw Thor: The Dark World which I enjoyed a lot (despite the director clearly having never read a London Underground map before he filmed it). Good supporting cast, especially Tom Hiddleston.

24. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm too scared to watch Gravity, in case I fall out of my chair!

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It seems an ironic title, given the movie is about being stranded in an environment where there is none.

DarthArsenal6 and Yoshee like this.