main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    No, he hasn't.

And stop putting things into Everton's mouth, he acknowledges none of your trolling rubbish.

Everton likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Those two paragraphs don't go together.

First: the true nature of Zuko's character wasn't clear until roughly his seventh appearance.

Second: Unalaq's seventh appearance was antithetical to his character as already established.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I said "sixth to seventh." Really, we can push things all the way back to Winter Solistice Part 1, which is clearly prior to his seventh substantive appearance. The Storm only gave more context to what had already been established. His character was never "unclear" only unexplained. We didn't know the historical particulars that made him the man we so clearly saw.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QFT. I've done nothing but lament wocky's deluded opinion re: Unalaq.

Unalaq is a relatively simply drawn bad guy. He will not progress beyond that. He's the villain of Korra, Book Two, designed as far as I can tell to introduce us to Vaatu. Nothing more. If we hear from him again after Book Two I'll be amazed. Zuko is the best character the franchise has ever committed to the screen, or ever will. A one-off. A spectacular creation. His development, and the care that went into it over many years, is light years ahead of anything that went into the creation of Unalaq. To suggest that Unalaq has been betrayed by the writers because he wasn't afforded similar respect is, frankly, insulting to Zuko and the hard work that went into him. The writers know when they are dealing with a prospective legend, and likewise when they are dealing with a (admittedly smooth) villain. Zuko falls into the first category, and Unalaq the second. Each is written appropriately.

5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if "moar power" is all there is to Unalaq, but we still don't know enough to say that's all he'll ever be. Who knows, they could go like the "Mr. Freeze" way with him, with Vaatu promising to bring his wife back to life (not too unlike the rumors about Iroh going to the spirit world to find Lu Ten). Maybe that's not the best idea for Unalaq, but it would at least bring some humanity to him.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'm still curious about how Unalaq's wife fits into all of this.

7. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    *picks jaw up off floor*

1) IROH! :eek::D

2) Given some of the talk re: Unalaq, I did have to chuckle at Jinorra's "Better than you!" line to him.

3) I think I got even more Miyazaki vibes from this than I did in Beginnings. Might've helped that the main characters in this were Jinorra and Young Korra.

4) And those last few minutes... :eek:

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I squee-ed so hard at this episode.

1. Iroh!
    2. Wan Shi Tong.
    3. Iroh!
    4. The effects that mortals have on the environment of spirit world.
    5. IROH!6. Darth Vaatu
    7. FRIGGIN' IROH!!!!

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge and Ghost like this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Iroh! :) :( :)

Owl Spirit's Revenge!

Tenzin/Jinora :(

Unalaq :mad:

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Wow, right after the day I mentioned Iroh going into the spirit world. O__o

Ghost: It's just a random idea for a different motive for Unalaq, since his wife isn't present. Well, at least now it seems to be something more than "covering the world in darkness" like Vaatu says.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    An enjoyable enough episode. Lots of fun stuff for series fans, but ultimately just a "build up" episode, so the ultimate quality will really depend on how good the payoff is.

I'm really anxious that the whole Desna issue wasn't addressed. I know it wasn't focused on his character very much, but it would have at least been nice to see some of off-screen moments where Unalaq was at his bedside keeping vigil, especially since they were excluded from the last episode too. If these parts are missing because they don't intend for them to be there, I'll deeply disappointed. Even though the presence of Wan Shi Tong seems to suggest their going the route of noble, misunderstood sacrifice with him, I don't think I'd be able to continue supporting him. Saving the world seems pretty meaningless if he's not protecting his family.

It was nice to see Iroh again, but I wasn't that much a fan of age regressed Korra.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thoughts:

I. Jinora. Jinora, you wonderful little littérateuse! Finally, this was the episode I was waiting for. The confrontation with Wan Shi Tong was glorious -- way to outwit that ol' owl! I also liked her lines: "wow... I could just stay in here forever, reading." and in response to Unalaq's "What kind of father is he?," she says "Better than you!" which is just about perfect. See, Wocky, see? My favorite is better than yours.

And speaking of which, Unalaq is a soulless monster. Even Amon had more morals than this cesspool of self-interest and megalomania.

II. Iroh. I'm kinda... nonplussed about the whole thing. Seemed a bit forced to me. I think part of it too might have been the voice acting -- did they use a different guy from the understudy who did season 3 of TLA? It just sounded off. The stuff he talked about was cool though, what with the environment changing to reflect emotions and all.

III. Speaking of which, it was nice to see Korra's mental age accurately reflected for once :p

IV. Finally: I want a dragonbird!!! d'aww!

(edit: Also, sadface at the bones of poor Professor Carth)

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, weird-voice Iroh bummed me out. But otherwise I liked this one a lot. Little-kid Korra was cool--I think it actually made a lot of sense that she had to regress first to get to a point where she could look at the world less antagonistically.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Yeah, that stuff with Unalaq at the end... I foresee a great battle in the future...

A great battle between Wocky and Jello.

Jello: *sees Jinorra threatened by Unalaq* Have at thee! Insolent cur! *draws sword and prepares to attack*

Wocky: *lunges out of the shadows, ready for battle* NO! Unalaq is just misunderstood!

(Disclaimer: The preceding was meant for humor and entertainment, and does not necessarily reflect the views and/or attitudes of those mentioned, or the views/attitudes of Clone_Cmdr_Wedge. Now back to our regularly scheduled post)

Honestly, I'd say that Iroh's appearance will probably be one of the highlights of this season, if not one of the best parts. (Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this was the best episode this season outside of Beginnings)

I did think it was interesting that Korra was "de-aged" back to her 4-year old self. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I sort of wonder if that was supposed to symbolize her growth and maturity, at least related to spiritual matters?

Wan Shi Tong was awesome to see again (in that evil owl sort of way). Got a laugh at how Jinorra schooled him in how radios work. :p

Also, a moment of silence for Professor Carth...

And at this point... yeah, Unalaq is definitely not in the "well-intentioned extremist" category, if he ever was. What I still don't get though is what the heck is his plan or goal? What does he think he gains by releasing Vaatu? He seemed to insinuate something, that there was more to his plan, but what it was isn't really clear. At this point, I'd say he's either being duped, or he seriously thinks he can control the manifestation of Chaos/Evil. And I've seen how that always plays out.

cdgodin and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

cdgodin likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Man, Anakin's life would've been so much better if he were a firebender... or hell, knew lightning redirection :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Or didn't have all of his limbs cut off.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Or not be a whiny *****.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Korra is really, really stupid.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, Iroh! Although aside from Iroh, everything else just got worse (again). I knew from just about the moment Jinora entered the spirit world alongside Korra she was going to be a hostage to force Korra to open the other spirit portal, and yep it happened, and then Korra barely escapes. Guess its going to have to be the hard way, fight their way to a spirit portal in the material world, which probably means convincing the Republic City President that there is a real threat to everybody, not just an internal water tribe matter, so he'll send the army (and then the army will probably be taken apart by dark spirits, aside from General Iroh). That and getting Mako out of prison. Well, I hope Korra has calmed down enough now to deal with politics, but we'll see. She'll probably be implicated or framed somehow too with the way things are going in Republic City.

Was really surprised to see Iroh since I thought the spirit world was different from the afterlife, but oh, Iroh permanently joining the spirits is so in character for him, enjoying a tea party with friends, so awesome. The voice, not quite perfect, even by TLA season 3 standards, but close enough. With how Korra has been treating most of her friends, and it was down to Tenzin recently (since everybody else is busy in Republic City), so wonderful to see Iroh offering advice, especially since without Jinora there to help her she was really in trouble.

Surprised they show the skeleton from that Professor who stayed in the sinking library, that was somewhat morbid. Wonder if he died of thirst/old age or from the sand. Poor Jinora, its kind of hard to rely on any spirits considering how fast they can turn dark. Unalaq is definitely one of the most despicable villains we've seen- doesn't care about his kids, and then nearly killing Jinora, with Jinora still trapped in the spirit world. Wonder how long until we find out if he has any deeper motives other than unleashing ultimate evil.

I know its part of the season arc, that things will just keep getting worse, Vaatu will be released and then Korra will have to deal with him, but hopefully some things can start improving soon.

21. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The good :
    I literally SQUEEEED at the return of Iroh. Nice to see the him after all this time and that after he died he went on to live in the Spirit World doing what he does best: tea, pai sho, offering sage advice.

Aside from Iroh, there were plenty of other great things about this episode. Set entirely in the Spirit World, the majority of this one led to great visuals, interesting looking creatures and tons of great scenarios. At first I was put off by Korra being regressed to the child seen in the prologue of Book One, but after thinking about it, it does make sense; Korra is regressed "mentally", which could also be interpreted as spiritually. Child Korra and Iroh interacting was the highlight of the episode for sure.

On the B-side there was the slightly less interesting but also intriguing plotline of Jinora. Seeing her with Wan Shi Tong was fun, especially Jinora outsmarting her with ROFL moment with radios. Downside of it was Wan Shi Tong. But understandable that he'd be mistrusting after what happened with Aang.

The bad :
    Jinora being captured and being used as leverage was a tad predictable, not to mention Korra giving in to Unalaq's demands. But I just chalk it up to "audience logic", same with before with Korra trusting Unalaq. It makes for a great conflict in the succeeding episodes at the very least.

Other than that I can't find anything bad per se about this episode. One thing I gotta mention though is Professor Zei. It's to be expected that he'd kick the bucket, but seeing his remains like that begs the question exactly HOW he died; each more possibility more horrifying than the next.

The meh :
    Not much I can think of.

The speculation :
    With the spirit portals all open now, next week we get to see Vaatu finally free. Don't forget the next two Saturdays will be one hour of two episodes each. So we're gonna get the climax very soon.

Seeing Tenzin begin to lose it makes me think the next episode will have him utterly ballistic. Especially now with the "inner demons" plot coming up. Also, with next episode going back to the RC storyline, maybe they'll balance Korra's plot with the other Team Avatar war plot too.

All in all, 5/5. Bring on next Saturday and two episodes one after another!

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Err, his name is Professor Zei, isn't it?

Also: ZOMG ZOMG IROH!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Jedi Merkurian and Everton like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    His voice actor -- Raphael Sbarge -- does a lot of characters, notably including the character of Carth from KOTOR.

Miana Kenobi and DarkEagle like this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I was SO EXCITED to see Professor Kaiden and then I saw him and my face seriously did one of these:

[​IMG]

And then of course there was the Iroh reaction:

[​IMG]

But then of course was the ending...

[​IMG]