main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Dec 18, 2007.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How dare the Music Mod be so wrong! We demand punishment!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Uh-huh.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Dang I am getting some serious Senny Syndrome™ lately...

4. Fishmanlee

Fishmanlee Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 17, 2010
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    "I see the Fire" Song, i can see that being in the end credits like "Song of the Lonely Mountain" was

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I got the TDoS soundtrack . . . my initial impression is that it's nice, but missing any really standout new themes. I could change my mind as I continue to listen to it, though.

One oddity . . . the final track, "Beyond the Forest," has this repeating 5 note statement that I swear is taken directly from Shore's "Silence of the Lambs" soundtrack. You really hear the similarity at about 2:36. It's the same opening statement you hear here, only on a flute instead of an oboe (I think?):

A friend of mine was telling me that composers re-use themes all the time, and Shore probably just liked the sound of it. Nothing more to it than that. I'm still going to be thinking of Hannibal Lecter when I hear it in the theater, though!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    This belongs here IMO

Barriss_Coffee and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    For anyone who seen the movie and has the soundtrack, what's the track called when in Laketown?

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I've listened through TDOS's track now a few times, and I have to agree -- I'm just not feeling it. There are some good parts to tracks, but usually only a 10-15 second string of notes and that's about it. There's no single track I'd listen to over and over again, which I could do with the other films. Even AUJ -- I loved the new heroic theme in that one.

Here's a comparison of TDOS to TTT -- just TTT. TDOS isn't bad, but TTT just blows it out of the ballpark.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm overall unimpressed with The Hobbit trilogy. It's incredibly well-made; but as a follow-up to the success of LOTR, these movies fall way short in almost every aspect- the music score notwithstanding. Shore seems to be going more for function than style, especially on Smaug. I also noticed that he did not conduct the scoring sessions- Conrad Pope did that duty. Is Shore still sore over the King Kong thing? Is there a bigger rift there than is generally thought? He's doing a professional job, but doesn't seem to be putting the creative attention to detail on these movies like he did on LOTR. He's not 'phoning it in' or just going through the motions, but there is a noticeable loss of quality in comparison to LOTR, or even the first Hobbit for that matter.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I love the hobbit movies, but I must say I was somewhat unimpressed with the soundtrack for the desolation of Smaug. I felt that the score for An Unexpected Journey was spot on, and very reminiscent of the Lord of the rings.

I don't know if it was because there was just so much going on in Desolation of Smaug and I was unable to focus on the score very much while seeing it in theaters, but nothing stood out for me in that one. I didn't notice anything specific in the way of main themes, and they didn't utilize the trademark solo vocalist sound, (as far as I remember) as has been heard throughout all these other middle earth movies to date.

No memorable melodies, just jumbles of typical action scene music. At least that's all I remember…

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Laketown song was cool

Sarge likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm going to have to disagree on the score not being up to par - I feel it's just as good as LOTR. For me, I like the Dol Guldur theme, Smaug's theme, the Dwarf charge, Lake-town theme, and Thranduil's theme. I also enjoyed hearing the different variations of Misty Mountains Cold in AUJ - I thought it showed how differently the different clans of dwarves viewed themselves.

Also, the Goblin-town and Orc stuff is spot on. I just love how Shore was able to maintain a familiar feeling, while at the same time giving us something completely different to what we've heard in LOTR.

Just my 2 cents :)

darkspine10 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay, true – I will acknowledge that the theme for Laketown was pretty good. But I maintain, it was no hobbit theme, Evenstar, Rivendell or Rohan theme-hell, even Misty Mountains cold is much more memorable…

Also it is true that the theme for dol Guldur is interesting, but in my opinion that one can't really be counted – since it is simply a reworked version of the melody for Mordor/Barad-Dur, from what I remember...

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
  17. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    My favourite of DOS is this one:

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm curious as to what do you all think of the BOFA soundtrack

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I loved it and all the Hobbit scores. I'd really like to see them do Complete Recordings of these scores as well, in the next few years.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Still waiting for those Complete Recordings to be announced.