main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There's More Than One King" - The MonsterVerse [Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm good, thanks. :p

PS - I did, however, love the shot of the building with the hole in it basically spitting on the Star Trek Into Darkness poster saying "Oh, how quaint..."

2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

That. Also, when I heard the opening briefing of the troops, I momentarily thought that they were using the "Ladies and Gentlemen, you're not in Kansas anymore" briefing from Avatar.

I did like the classic Godzilla roar.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I am glad the first time America does Godzilla they do what appears to be a good job. And you can't convince me otherwise that the one in 90s was a Godzilla movie.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What one in the 90s? :p

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I understand that a good trailer doesn't necessarily mean a good movie. Still, my reaction is that "Pacific Rim" was the appetizer, while this one is the definitely main course.

6. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    dp4m exactly I am talking about a movie that actually doesn't exist in the Godzilla universe. lol So it seems this film will be like the original Godzilla film where the monster threat was just Godzilla. I wonder if they will have Godzilla die at the end since in the original Japanese film scientists and the army killed a wounded Godzilla with the oxygen destroyer. Not saying I want an American remake verbatim of the original film just speculating is all.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like the '98 version mainly because of Jean Reno. Oh and the incompetent mayor who looked like Roger Ebert because Roland was all butthurt that Ebert didn't like Stargate or Independence Day.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    When I said original film I meant the 1954 original Japanese film.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It looks a bit like Cloverfield without the shaky cams. Looks great.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's stupid.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Profound. I was exaggerating, mostly. But there's nothing stupid about taking a wait and see attitude with this one. It certainly doesn't seem to be a Pacific Rim. But Hollywood being Hollywood, it may turn out to be a smelly turd anyway.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't **** with Walter White, Godzilla.

That trailer gives me almost nothing. It's kind of the polar opposite of the "spoil everything" trailers. Yeah, the monster looks pretty cool... so what else is there? I will wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's another one of those movies where a bunch of critics call it "fun" and then rattle off a list of flaws that make me wonder why they said anything positive in the first place. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    If I didn't know it was a Godzilla movie, then up to the point where they showed him, it could have been a SWEET Halo ODST Helljumper promo.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I'd still bet on the radio active lizard monster, no matter how bad ass Walter White is. Sorry. :p

The stuff leading up to what little we saw of Godzilla was all generic stuff, not that you'd expect much of anything else in a film like this. Great to see the classic Godzilla form again... this should be a much better experience that Roland's '98 romp*.

*Which I've come to enjoy for various reasons, but it's still (obviously) a terrible Godzilla picture.

15. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I wonder if there will be a scene in the film that will tug at my heartstrings like a scene showing all the devastation and destruction and all the survivors in a hospital. If they should take any scene from the 1954 film its that because it was such an emotional scene set to music that made you sad just saying.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If the music is anywhere as good as the '54 original, then just about everything else in the film would be gravy.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Godzilla is not the only monster. This has been confirmed for sometime.
    I believe this is the new synopsis released today.
    An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence. The film stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston.

18. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

This, this, this. The importance of a good score is sadly undervalued these days.

Also, this trailer has me stoked. And I usually hate the word stoked.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If I had a list of my favorite film scores, Gojira* is easily #1 or #2... its effectiveness in setting a somber, terrifying mood can never be understated. To that end, it's the only score (and film) that genuinely creeps me out.

*And from all off Akira Ifukube's fine work from that film, these two tracks are my favorites:

20. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Does it take place entirely in San Francisco?

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Other monsters? Is that really necessary? The conflict between man and the near unstoppable Godzilla (or rather, man vs. science run amok) should be the heart of this film, just like in the original. So now we'll have man vs. kaiju vs. kaiju battles instead just...because. Awesome. [face_plain]

As for the trailer's music, I did not mind one bit the 2001 "monolith" theme. That piece of music is so creepy and unsettling that it served as a perfect backdrop for the overwhelming sense of foreboding and ongoing disaster that HALO jump scene conveyed.

22. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Forget that, it's gonna have to be epic to top this classic :p...

23. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I was also unaware of another monster in the mix in this Godzilla film at least for the first film but then again I have always enjoyed seeing multiple monsters in Godzilla films while we as humans are trying to deal with them. If they are for sure gonna have another kaiju monster in it I wonder who they might use Gigan, rodan, king ghidorah or what just to name a few classics.

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Gamorrah will surely save them, for he is friend to children!

DarthLowBudget likes this.