main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    For added effect, read that post as if John Hurt is saying it.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Older than some, younger than others. Why do you ask?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just seems odd this'd be your first time of such an experience given the greater weather extremes of the US.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ever notice how big the United States is?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So it's what tropical desert where you are? As a general rule the US gets snow more frequently so you're likely used to it, here? We get 2 inches and everything collapses!

Now, all playing aside, how would you classify the climate for your area? Is snow unusual? Or is it the amount?

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, as a Californian, I pretty much never see snow. Ever.

I like it that way. Gets cold enough already - there are even days where I can't where shorts and sandals.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    OMG. NEW GODZILLA TRAILER. OMG.

That is all. Now go watch it!

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Snow's not very unusual where I am now, no. But I've not been here forever.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Snow in areas that are not accustomed to always causes extreme difficulties. Ice storms even more so.

In central Canada we get a ton of snow and the poor conditions it can cause. Yet because we have the infrastructure in place to deal with it(because we basically have to deal with it several times a year) I haven't had a "snow day" since around 1998. 40-50 inches of snow a year and not a day of work missed. For instance last year on a couple occasions we had over 10 inches of snow in one night, everything ran as usual.

Even my ten year old daughter's school has never closed due to weather conditions since she started attending.

This is of course all in a metropolitan area, rural areas have a more difficult time of it.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, as someone who grew up in Buffalo: there's a world of difference between "snow" and "snow day".

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Whoh cool -- the first minute sounds eerily like 2001 Space Odyssey. Now that's a way to make a trailer!

Lazy Storm Trooper and jSarek like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In North Carolina we have the French Toast Apocalypse most winters.

Here's the timeline:

1. Weather Person forecasts a possibility of snow. The greater the possibility and the greater the number of inches forecast, the greater the apocalypse.

2. Native Southerners all cry "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WE'RE GONNA STARVE!" and the grocery store parking lots fill up like the Wal-Mart parking lot on Black Friday. The bread, milk and eggs displays empty more quickly than the condom displays before a big frat party, until all that is left is pumpernickel, half and half and five-dollar a dozen organics. And glow-in-the-dark unlubricated blue latex. (Oh wait...that's the other display.) Meanwhile, native Northerners roll their eyes and mutter "Why don't you damn Southerners learn to drive in snow?"

3. Two inches of snow falls. Towns die, because there are two snow plows in the entire state of North Carolina and they're both in the mountains. People hole up inside their houses wondering what they can do with bread, milk and eggs, and duh, it's time for breakfast. But inevitably someone decides that French toast isn't French toast without sausage, so said someone attempts to venture into both inches of Snowmageddon. Said someone drives one block and runs into a stop sign, claiming not to see it due to the blizzard. Native Northerners roll their eyes and mutter "Why don't you damn Southerners learn to drive in the snow?"

4. Inevitably somebody will whine, "It's below 70 degrees! It's COLD!" To which I reply, yeah, I love snow, now shut up and eat your damn French toast.

13. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Okay good I thought it was 2001 theme as well. It was a really well done trailer. Looking forward to it now.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Godzilla movies are literally, literally second only to Star Wars in terms of my cinematic love. I critique and ravage pretty much every movie I see, but Godzilla movies, for some reason, no matter how bad they are, manage to pique my enjoyment and entertainment regardless of the many many problems they might have. The only ones I cannot justify or defend in any way are Godzilla's Revenge and the 1998 Rolland Emmerich-made American abomination that bears the Godzilla name. And I consider the first one, Gojira, one of the classics of cinema. This new one looks like the first truly serious Godzilla movie made on American soil, and the first one to see Godzilla as the villain for a very, very long time. I am incredibly psyched.

jSarek and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    But how do you feel about Jet Jaguar?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

Seriously, that movie is incredibly enjoyable, with or without the MST3K guys. It's a hallmark of a series that's been across all parts of the seriousness spectrum in its sixty+ years of life. And what happens if you put in "Jet Jaguar" to the text interface of the teaser site for the new movie? PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH!

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    New Hobbit movie imminent. Closing all communications. Don't tickle a sleeping dragon.

Sent from another Galaxy

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    THAR BE DRAGONS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    D-dr-dr-dragon. :eek:

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Pacific Rim was my Godzilla movie, and more than made up for the 1998 joke. Hopefully this one is as good as PR was.
    I remember watching King of the Monsters and Godzilla 1985 when I was little, like 6 or so. My dad used to read Jurassic Park as my bedtime story at that age too :D
    Part of a monster movie marathon with another movie that I cannot recall the name of and have been looking for ever since :(

Goin g to see Hobbit with a friend tomorrow night. Should be fun.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Finally finished with my homepaper on Indian history 1, 1500-1890[face_nail_biting]
    Now I can allow myself to enjoy the small privileges my cold gives me. Like laying on the couch and watching the movies that I bought with my birthday money

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    *whistles*

Wonders if Trip watched last night's SOA finale? :eek:

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I preferred the carbonite Sleeping Beauty.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Bounty Hunter Mulan is rather awesome.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.