main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends On the Run: The Journal of Mark Devlin, DDC 2014

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Introduction

Hi. My name is Mark Devlin, and I am an agent in the New Republic Intelligence. It’s a fun job, you know, but since the end of the war with the Galactic Empire, I haven’t had all that much to do…which stinks because I didn’t actually join NRI until after the war.

So, before you read my journal, there are a few things you need to know about me. First, I have this bad habit of having to fix everything wrong I see, even if it really isn’t any of my business. Yeah. It gets me in trouble.

Second, the higher-ups in NRI have it out for me, I think, because my assignments are usually so uninteresting that they could literally bore you to death.

Third, my girlfriend is a gorgeous model. I mean, really gorgeous. And yes, that will be important to the story, thanks so much for asking.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Interesting begin

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    interesting beginning, I'm curious to see where you take this

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    January 1st, 21 ABY

Taris, Lower City

I pointed my blaster straight at the Aqualish’s face, not letting it waver a centimeter. His guards, one human and one Rodian, standing behind me had their weapons on me but I bet they wouldn’t risk firing as long as their boss was at risk.

“Your slave trade’s over,” I said. “The New Republic doesn’t allow slavery inside its borders…and that’s where you are. So clear out.”

“Yes, yes,” stammered A’ro. “I understand, of course. But where will I go? The Empire?

“Yeah, why not. See how they like it.”

A’ro seemed ready to order his men to blow my head off right there, but he seemed to reconsider when he saw that my blaster was still only a few inches from his ugly tusks.

“I will see what I can do,” he finally said.

“You do that.” I lowered my blaster, half expecting the guards to fire at me the second I did.

Luckily, A’ro had the sense to give them a hand gesture to stand down. I holstered my blaster, raised my wrist to check my chrono.

“Oh,” I added. “Happy New Year.”

I walked out of A’ro’s base, expecting a blaster bolt in the back the entire time. It would be the perfect time for it; he knew the New Republic was threatening him now and very rarely did the criminals we dealt with ever acquiesce without a fight. But no attack came.

“This is Devlin to Coruscant,” I said into my comlink. “Mission accomplished; the message has been delivered. Unfortunately I doubt A’ro is bright enough to actually end his slave trade.”

“That’s not NRI's business,” replied my handler. “All we had to do was deliver the message. Ackbar doesn’t like slavery, and he’s looking to end it on Republic worlds. If A’ro doesn’t listen, Ackbar gets to have his way with the guy’s entire business. Using turbolasers.”

“Right,” I said brightly. “So, when can I expect my pickup?”

“A YT-2400 freighter will touch down in the Upper City North docks at 0800 hours tomorrow morning. Until then, you have free reign of Taris.”

I beamed. “Thanks, Control. Devlin out.”

I went back to my apartment and slept for three hours. Then I showered and changed from my field uniform into plainclothes. I left my blaster in a secure lockbox under my bed, although I did tuck a holdout into my jacket pocket and a vibroblade into my boot. Never could be too careful.

I went to the Upper City South cantina–a place well-known for its excellent shroom chips. Knowing I was going to be travelling tomorrow, I kept my drinking to a minimum.

I finished my chips in silence and was about to leave to find something more interesting to do when a Twi’lek dancer, one of the red-skinned Lethans, slinked her way up to me and tried to pull me to my feet.

“I have a girlfriend,” I tried to protest.

“I don’t care if she doesn’t,” purred the Twi’lek.

I tried to tell myself that what Ana didn’t know would not hurt her, but I really was too nice a guy to cheat on her, so I politely declined. Peeved, the dancer moved on to find some more sporting companionship.

I had a pocket full of unspent credits provided by NRI for the mission, which were now mine. So, leaving the cantina, I went to find the nearest shop. Maybe I could get Ana something nice.

Outside the shop, there was a pair of Rodian thugs beating on a poor scrawny kid with probably less than a credit to his name. Reaching into my pocket for my holdout, but keeping it there, I moved forward.

“Hey,” I called. “Why not pick on someone your own size?” A corny line, I know, but it was the best I could think of on short notice. “Unless you’re afraid.”

One of the Rodians sneered at me, and they turned, letting the poor kid run off. Seeing they were unarmed, I released my blaster. Okay, we’d do this the old-fashioned way, then.

The first Rodian, who’s skin was slightly more yellow than his companion, leapt forward, fist swinging for my head. I ducked, grabbed him by the belt, and hurled him into the shop wall. The Rodian’s breath left him in a whoosh of air.

His companion, who had purplish eyes, jumped me while I was still in mid-throw. I turned and brought my leg up between Purple-Eyes’ legs. The Rodian screeched at the blow.

Yellow-Skin got to his feet and grabbed me from behind. I grabbed one of his antennae and yanked, hard. Shrieking, Yellow-Skin punched me repeatedly on the back of the head. I nearly blacked out.

Suddenly, there was the whine of a stun bolt, and Yellow-Skin got busy being unconscious. Purple-Eyes, who was still scrambling around on the ground, weeping, took a stun shot, too.

I looked up and gaped when I saw who my rescuer was.

“Bloah,” I exclaimed.

Boba Fett looked coldly down at me, the barrel of his EE-3 rifle still smoking. He slung the rifle over his shoulder and continued to look down at me, not offering so much as a hand for me to get up.

“Thanks,” I managed. “Why’d you save me?”

“I saw what you did,” Fett said. “Scum-suckers shouldn’t mess with kids who can’t defend themselves.”

I nodded. “Uh, yeah. My thoughts exactly.”

“Good. Now go on, get out of here.”

I wasted no time making myself scarce. Oh, kark, I’d just been saved by Boba Fett! No way was Ana going to believe this!

5. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Bobba Fett is still alive? And make sure you pick two different days for updating okay?

Great start

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Lol! Unless his girlfriend is a Zeltron I can guarantee she will definitely care. Nice start on your Diary.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    earlybird-obi-wan, thanks! I hope you like it.

Falcon, thanks! Yes, Boba Fett is still alive by this point; this is before NJO and he was in The Unifying Force. Also, it just has to be at least twice a month, right; not specific days? And I'll probably do more than twice-monthly updates.

Ewok_Slayer, no, she wouldn't be okay with it. Good thing he showed restraint. :p

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi. I like Mark's voice already. Very conversational & LOL just from the first entry I can see he likes to help and fix. ;) Looking forward to meeting Ana. :D

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love his action on Taris

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Your writing style does draw the reader in quite easily and I look forward to the next update.

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    January 2nd, 21 ABY

Taris, Upper City North

I woke up bright and early on the next day; 0600 hours to be precise. I went down to the hostel’s dining area and had a small breakfast, and checked out by 0645. Then, I took a taxi speeder to the Upper City North spaceport.

I slung my duffel bag over my shoulder and walked up to the flight log. A YT-2400 freighter was due to land at 0800 in Docking Bay A-19. Nodding to myself, I headed off in that direction. I stopped at a vendor and bought a bottle of fizzade and a bar of candied nuts.

Sitting down at the terminal outside A-19, I dug into the candy bar and washed it down with my fizzade. Then I pulled out my datapad and composed a message to Ana, telling her I’d be back on Coruscant within the next day and that we should meet for lunch.

I didn’t send the message until the YT-2400, which was marked as the Free Chaser, landed. I stood and walked out to the Chaser, examining the ship. Painted in a dark green color, the ship was upgraded with military-grade weapons, sensors, and shields. I stood at the foot of the ramp and waited for the pilot to lower it. Eventually it came down and the pilot exited.

A tall, dark-skinned, black-haired man in his mid to late thirties, he wore a jumpsuit the color of his ship. A blaster was strapped to his side and he had a habit of not keeping his eyes focused on any one thing for very long.

“You Devlin?” he asked.

I nodded. “You get the grand prize. What’s your name, pilot?”

“Name’s Reggs,” he said. “Former Alliance Starfighter Corps pilot, now retired.”

I held out my hand. “Good to meet you, Reggs.”

He took my hand and shook it. “You too, Devlin. Get your things aboard; we’re leaving as soon as I have clearance.”

I nodded and walked up into the ship. It was neat but lived-in, and I was impressed that a fighter jockey could keep a ship so neat. I took my bag to the living quarters and put it away and then moved to the cockpit. I did not like to be on a ship where I couldn’t see takeoff; if it was possible I always sat in the cockpit or bridge until takeoff was complete.

Reggs came into the cockpit and sat down in the pilot’s seat. He flipped several switches and requested clearance from the dock control. They told him to stand by, so we sat there and waited.

“So,” Reggs said conversationally, “how’d the mission go?”

I shrugged. “It depends on your opinion. Fighter jock like you would probably be glad–my bet is that Ackbar will bring the hammer down on the slaving corporations any time now.”

“I’m not a combat pilot anymore, so it doesn’t matter to me. Hate slavery though, you know.”

“I get you.”

We were interrupted by dock control. “Free Chaser, you are clear for takeoff.”

“Roger, Control,” Reggs replied.

He put his hands on the controls and we lifted off. When we made hyperspace, I unstrapped and went back to the living quarters and took one of the bunks. I hadn’t had much sleep lately; it would be a good idea to catch up on my rest before I saw Ana.

I fell asleep quickly, and I dreamed of Ana.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Glad Reggs seems a decent straigh-up guy :) & that takeoff went without a hitch. :D

Falcon and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    One entry each day WOW and again a nice one

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Awesome entry

make sure you have enough story for the entire year, I would hate to see the story burn out quickly.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I totally second that. @};- [:D]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I will! After tomorrow's entry I will probably have a gap until later in January (you'll see why).

Everyone, thanks for the comments! [:D]

17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice diary! Two posts in two days. You're like me and my last year's diary. I had to force myself to post no more than ten times a month. The story ended up just under 125,000 words...and I am continuing the diary this year. Once you develop an OC you like it is hard to let go. Of course I am assuming Mark is an OC. He may be from a video game or a book I haven't read.

Keep up the good work.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, Mark is an OC.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Cool! Can you tag me when you update. I have started reading so many diaries that I know I'll need a heads up.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Jedi_Lover

January 3rd, 21 ABY

Coruscant Orbit

We came out of hyperspace early on the next morning. I dressed quickly, went to the refresher, relieved myself, combed my hair, and washed my face. Then I went to the galley, where Reggs had heated up some pre-packed meals for breakfast.

“Have any plans for when you get back to Coruscant?” Reggs asked conversationally.

“Yeah, I’m going to meet my girlfriend for lunch. So the sooner we get docked, the better.”

Reggs nodded. “That’s cool.”

There was relative silence for a few moments. Reggs stood, dumped his trash, and poured himself a cup of caf. He held up the pot in my direction.

“Want some?”

“Sure,” I replied.

He was about to pour my cup when there was a beep from the cockpit. Reggs put the pot down and walked up front. I stood, poured my own cup, and downed the caf before joining him.

“We’re clear to land,” he told me.

“Great,” I replied brightly.

It was another fifteen minutes before we finally got docked and put the ramp down. I gave Reggs a farewell salute and walked out of the docking bay. I took a taxi speeder back to my apartment, unpacked my things, and changed into street clothes.

Pulling out my comlink, I dialed Ana’s number. It took a moment for her to respond.

“Mark!” she said happily. “Are you back?”

“I’m back, baby,” I replied. “You up for lunch?”

“You bet. Where?”

“Up to you.”

She paused, considering. “How about the Vesari fry-house?”

I grinned even though she couldn’t see me. “Thank you for picking an establishment I can afford. Yes, I’ll be there. An hour?”

“An hour,” she confirmed.

I whistled as I walked briskly down the slidewalk toward the Vesari fry-house. Located in Coruscant’s entertainment district, the fry-house was famous for its excellent slider sandwiches. A great sandwich, a chance to see my girl again, and a fairly uptown restaurant. All in all, I decided, it was shaping up to be a great day.

I saw the fry-house ahead and checked my chrono. I was ten minutes ahead of time, so I decided to do a quick sweep of the area, just out of habit. I doubted that there was anyone following me, but nonetheless my training was hard to kick.

I circled the block twice but could see no one that seemed to be following me, so I went into the fry-house. A waitress walked up to me.

“How many?” she asked.

“Two,” I replied. “My girlfriend will be joining me.”

“Right this way, hon.”

I followed her to a table that was pleasantly clean of grease or other unpleasant stains. I sat, making sure to take the booth where I could face the door–out of habit–and settled in to wait. Ana was generally late for pretty much everything, so I was expecting this. She tried, but no matter how hard, she always ended up late, even for her modeling gigs. It was said that she’d been late for her own birth, and she’d be late for her own funeral.

I ordered a fizzade for me and a sparkling water for Ana–I know what she likes–and a moment later, she entered. As always, I was stunned by her beauty. Tall, but not quite my height, she had fair skin, eyes the color of liquid mercury, and teal hair. It was speculated by some that she dyed her hair and eyes both, and by some that she was not completely human. I knew for a fact that her hair and eyes weren’t dyed, but I wasn’t sure of her species; I’d never asked. I loved her for who she was.

“Hey, babe,” I said.

I stood, kissed her on the cheek, and sat down with her. She was wearing a blue skirt and white top with a jacket matching her skirt, and she had her hair flowing out.

“How was the trip?” Ana asked.

“Productive,” I responded. “And how were you while I was gone? Business going well?”

She nodded eagerly. “I’ve got a modeling gig for a new line of Senatorial gowns tomorrow afternoon. I’ve seen the things; they’re beautiful. Classic Republicana style.”

“Wonderful,” I replied. “I’d love to come and watch. No promises, though; the Director might want to debrief me.”

“I understand.”

I reached into my pocket. “I got you something while I was on Taris.”

She grinned. “You did? What?”

I pulled a small box out of my pocket and opened it. Her eyes widened and sparkled, and she beamed. In the box was a ring with a beautiful Gerinian star-stone in the center. The stone glimmered in the fry-house’s lights.

“Will you marry me, Ana?” I asked.

“Of course I will!” she exclaimed.

I beamed. Yep. Everything was going great.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Well, now you can get my patented SQUEEEEE! Oh yum! That was delightful! How romantic. And Ana is so exotic looking. She and Mark seem so happy. :) :)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update! :D

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A beautiful romantic update. I hope he will stay happy with her

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yes! Please! Don't try to be like a profic author and have her tragically killed by some genetically mutated monster, murdered by a relative that went Sith or have some ruthless and psychotic gangster threaten to put a cigarra out in her beautiful silver eyes. [face_worried]

I like happy, romantic with a touch of sappy. :D Keep up the good work.

Gemma, Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    If I could double triple like JL's comment, I would. [face_laugh] ;)

Revanfan1 and Jedi_Lover like this.