main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Episode 1 to 6, TCW, and Rebels, the ST, The spin offs, and whatever else comes with it, will all be on the same level, their is no more Hierarchy.
    G will be equal to T, T is equal to C, It will all be Story Group canon.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think you're looking for this:

[​IMG]

:p

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume people are seeing Leland's tweets saying everything pre-VII is of the same canonicity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Everyone's seen them, but that's not what they're saying.

5. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    CooperTFN likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What are the tweets and who is saying what and where am I?

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    It depends on what you're talking about. The only Marvel property (aside from Star Wars) that I'm currently interested in is MIRACLEMAN and that's been handled extremely well.

As for Star Wars, the main point of the Story Group is to eliminate the different levels of canon; so no more G, T, C, and S or whatever canon. There's only going to be one canon. So the Marvel Star Wars comics will be nice and streamlined and tight because they'll line up seamlessly behind the movies and TV shows.

EDIT:
    Yeah, what he said.

8. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You do understand that Twitter is on the internet, right?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

The first point is obviously the case. But at this point, there's precisely zero evidence whether the entire EU, part or it, or none of it will be changed at all. The mere fact that its taking them this long to make an announcement about what is and isn't and what the story group is doing (not to mention Leland saying they have no idea when they will be making such an announcement) suggests to me strongly that its more detailed than "everything is non-cannon". That would take about 30 seconds of work, not almost a year (so far).

This will really depend on how they handle this first transition. If the writers are forced to keep within "guideline x" set by the extant EU,be that the end of TTT, or DE, or Vision, or TUF, or Crucible, then in future that will be the guidepost that "you have to work with what's already there". But if they decide to wipe the entire EU away immediately, that sets a precedent for them to do that whenever they feel like in the future if they have a new idea.

^that.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I meant more for clarification. I'm on my phone so I don't know if these are new tweets or the story group stuff or what.

12. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I only ask they keep the Old Republic era EU & Kyle Katarn lol

13. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Is there a separate thread on the Story Group? I can't seem to find one...

14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  15. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I don't think we have a story group thread no. Though given how little we know about it so far, I doubt there would be much in it.

A good article newdawn, it sums up the options better than a lot that insist one or the other. But we still haven't the foggiest notion which is the actual stance they'll be taking.

Mange likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think it's safe to assume by now that, philosophically, they would like to make as much fit as they can. But that philosophy is secondary to whatever it's decided Episode VII that needs to be; they're holding up any declarations on the matter until they know how much is salvageable. The script still isn't locked, don't forget.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No wonder Leland is so bad at his job; he forgot that this is already the way canon is supposed to work.

What's an internet?

I think LFL's official policy toward addressing massive continuity changes like this is to procrastinate as long as possible and hope we forget about it in the mean time. TCW's been over for like a year, sure seems like they've had enough time to fix the timeline like they promised they would.

18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe, but that's really only how C ever worked since Lucas had so much say in G and T. It's not his fault that they had to so often retool C to fit the other two (or sometimes G to fit with itself).

son_of_skywalker03 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Hopefully the fact that the script is taking so long means that they're getting to have some impact on it, even if its as simple as saying "Han and Leia's daughter should be 25 and named Jaina, not 13 and named Sally"

Hopefully anyway.

Well to be fair, since TCW was cancelled they've had a lot of other things on their mind. And the ERC and Episode Guide do help to start lock things down in some of the media.

(Side note - need to finish my version of the timeline, I've almost got everything in a workable order based around those two. Obsession continues to be a problem)

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    All we know, is that hands are held when "group" is in session. Laughs shared. Tears shed. New beginnings discovered.

21. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    In layman's terms, can somebody explain to me what Leland Chee has put on Twitter about the story group.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That there is one?

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Place Obsession during the Ventress arc and have her run to Mother Talzin at the end of the battle of Boz Pity instead of after the battle of Sullust in TCW? I think L-canon decided that was best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEDGESMFG, Darth_Foo and CooperTFN like this.
  24. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  25. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Thats sort of where I had it, but that presents problems with the Clone's armor, and with Ali's death, and with where Alpha is during the earlier parts of TCW.

ITs a problem no matter where it goes right now. *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.