main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Aww, I was just about to make that joke. :p

_Catherine_ likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's an energy field that binds all living things.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Adi survives Obsession and I'm pretty sure we're on late armour by the Ventress arc?

And Alpha is where he said - on Kamino after his arc ends and Fordo and then Rex is assigned to Anakin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I find it hard to believe that from now on there will be only one canon level. What if Disney decides to make a new movie or TV special, say in 2020, but its storyline contradicts a comic published in 2016? Will the story group tell their bosses at Disney "see, you can't do this, because there's this comic!"

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think that if they made a mistake (which, come on, we know they will, despite their best attempts) they'll either: I. decide on a retcon II. decide the later in time is correct III. rarely, decide the original is correct. Not too dissimilar from what we already do, just without the hierarchy.

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I am cautiously optimistic about this, actually. If they specifically call out stuff like Death Troopers, I think they may actually have their heads on straight and will try to mold the EU reasonably.

Of course, as soon as they touch something like Courtship or the X-Wing series, the gloves are coming off.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This article was on the front page of Yahoo! news. Of interest, I noted the following paragraph:

Really, the entire article is interesting, if not quite lol worthy, simply because the author has only the barest knowledge of the EU, and if might give some people around here an idea about how Average Joe Critic might view how things have been run up until now.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    What if this is like the Matrix and in reality the EU was always elaborate fan fiction?!

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    RebelForce Radio

Man, over the past few days, I don't believe I've ever seen a bigger surge of Star Wars misinformation happening. For starters, the Darth Maul comic coming from Dark Horse Comics, while based on a script from Lucasfilm Animation, IS NOT, and was never the intended finale for the series...The Star Wars canon stuff is totally being reported inaccurately across the web - The statement that all Star Wars stories will fall under one canon DOES NOT MEAN that all previous EU stories will be included. They can be used, yes, MOVING FORWARD. So essentially, it's business as usual in that dept...AND...During a AMC Movie Talk marathon, Jon Schnepp, a director on Metalocalypse, NEVER said the Boba Fett film would be the "FIRST" spinoff. He just said he heard it was ONE of the spinoffs coming, not necessarily the "FIRST". The internet echo chamber is once again working it's magic. What's next? Someone will report they actually found new Hasbro Star Wars Action Figures available at retail? -

10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Also the barest knowledge of pluralization.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I don't think it would be that difficult to maintain a consistent canon amongst everything you see onscreen (all the movies and tv shows). However I think it would get real difficult to maintain a consistent canon if you started to try to include all the books and comics into that. The only way I think they could is if they severely limited how many books and comics got put out into the publics hands.

If they only have a book or two published a year then it would be possible but if the EU gets as crowded as it is now then no way can they keep track of everything.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If it's still in its original wrapper... that could happen. From a certain point of view, and all that.

:p

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahahha, we should totally start one with mugshots and bios for each member like trading cards / prison records and endlessly debate their worthiness of being appointed.

14. Jedi Master Cheve

Jedi Master Cheve Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    High five for Jaxxon pic.^:)^

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Having read both articles, I don't see anything to indicate that the EU will survive. Rather, that FUTURE Expanded Universe comics & novels will be tied to a single canon in line with the Prequels, Originals, and Sequels.

So, starting in 2015, anything Star Wars will be under one canon that Pablo & Leeland coordinate. That is a good thing, in that there is a very good chance that they will salvage the best parts of the old EU and incorporate it into the new canon.

But come on guys, so you really think that the majority of the post-ROTJ EU is safe? The NJO and Legacy, while two of the pinnacles of the modern EU, aren't exactly easy to explain (or avoid contradicting) in the new Sequel Trilogy.

Granted, everyone will read these articles with an eye toward what they want to hear (myself included), so we will just have to wait and see.

--Adm. Nick

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    At first I was like don't care, but then I keep staring at the text until it made me angry...

I'm ashamed to have a Yahoo mail account! :p

18. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars...."

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Visions of Luke Skywalker. [face_plain]

And there are new Hasbro action figures available for the new Episode VII characters named Tom and Rachel. I saw them at Target but they are limited time only, so I want to see you people at your nearest store PANICKING like you just saw a snowflake in eastern North Carolina.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    About Leland's tweet that led to all these articles, what's the difference between "classification" and "setting hierarchy"?

21. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I see it in that this development will go one of two ways:

a) everything post-ROTJ and anything else Disney wants erased will be deleted, and everything covering that starts fresh.

b) the current timeline is picked through, keeping some things canon and disposing of others, perhaps "clearing the way" so to speak for Episode VII and related material. As new books, comics, video games or even movies are made and released that contradict with canon that was originally kept, the new content will supplant the existing canon, forcing the old canon into "alternate" canon.

22. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Everything that he's tweeted regarding this has been kind of cryptic and vague, hasn't it. I can't imagine that's by accident because he doesn't normally tweet that way.

Anyway, I would imagine "classification" is whether something is or isn't canon; whether this story proposal or that video game idea contradicts canon or not. And "hierarchy" is obviously different levels of canon, which is being eliminated.

23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I am currently fighting against the urge to even read it. It's yahoo, so that article itself is likely to be crap. And then there's the comment section.... Nope. Not masochistic enough.

24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    It will acquire a whole new meaning after the new canon dance-off between Obi-Wan and Bail to feature in SW Kinect 2.

WMIRTUTSF and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Classification, could be for marketing, and licensing products, On the Forcecast, he talked about if someone wanted to make
    Star Wars toilet Paper, they'd go to G, or T Canon for movie characters, and vehicles, which would sell better than C.
    As for the future, they just won't approve anything that doesn't fit, into the main story.

Non canon stuff will be things like Kids books, behind the scenes books, , coloring books, Lego specials.
    and Disney/Marvel/Pixar crossovers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.