main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Comic Book Draft XI: Now Featuring a Stan Lee Cameo: Winner is EmpireForever!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Superheroes in a Draft Game? Give me a break

[​IMG]

I am your host, DarthIntegral. And you, if you should be so bold, are the player. You will choose your champions. You will compete for the most elusive prize in all of the known universes. To be crowned ultimate champion of the Comic Book Draft!

The winner of the last draft was: Shadow_of_Durron(his second award!)! As a reward, Shirley got a week of colors and a title, and everyone hated him just that much more. The winner this time can expect the same, as well as enshrinement into the CBD HoF. Those most amazing and wonderful of GMs.

Speaking of which, here is that Hall of Fame:

Darth_Deception (Winner of 1st draft)
    SLAVE2 (Winner of 2nd draft)
    Shadow_of_Durron(Winner of 3rd & 9th draft)
    BartSimpson_SithLord (Winner of the 4th & 5th drafts)
    Zizz (Winner of 6th draft)
    MandaloreYak(Winner of 7th draft)
    The_Loyal_Imperial (Winner of 8th draft)
    Hokage_Kalar (Winner of the 10th Draft)

Bask in their awesome glow. Cower before their incredible strength of will. Envy their giant statues and monuments erected in their image. Do everything you must to join them!

For the historical archives of previous tournaments, behold the broken links of a forgotten past!

Previous draft threads:

New Game: THE COMIC BOOK CHARACTER DRAFT!
    The Comic Book Draft, Episode II: Attack of the Heroes!
    The Comic Book Draft Episode III: Revenge of the Villains
    The Comic Book Draft Episode IV: A New Mutant
    The Comic Book Draft Episode V: Excelsior!
    The Comic Book Draft Episode VI: Return of the Multiverse
    The Draft Classic: The Comic Book Draft All-Star Draft
    The Comic Book Character Draft Episode VIII: The Secret Draft
    The Comic Book Draft Episode IX: Remaking the Cosmos
    The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX

Now, some of you are familiar with these drafts games, and some of you may not be, having newly become a GM. Regardless, these games are fun to play, read, watch, judge, you name it! Let's take a look at how such a thing as a draft is played:

If you're new to this type of game, don't be put off by the length of this post explaining all the rules. It's as long as it is because I want to make sure that everything is clear to everyone before we get started. It's really not all that complicated when you break it all down. If you think you might be interested, go ahead and sign up, then come back and read up on the rules and procedures. Then, if you think it's all too much for you, (which I don't think it should be for anyone) you can always just say that you're not up to it and vacate your spot.

Okay, now for how the game works (A lot of you may be familiar with most of this, but I'm going to go into detail for anyone who may be new to the game):

THE POSITIONS

Okay, first off, there are three different positions in this draft:

The Commissioner: (That's me). I get the boring job of randomizing the draft order, posting matchups, and other stuff you don't need to know about, so don't ask. If you have any questions just ask me.

The Judges
    The judges choose who will win and who will lose. Do not argue with the judges, for they see all and know all. Unless you think your guy should maybe win, they I guess you should argue with them. The judges cast their votes for who they think will win. That's the basic idea. It's pretty basic. I'm going to stop explaining it now. If you are interested you may sign up below.

The GMs
    Hey, that's you(maybe)! Congratulations, you've decided to be a GM, and are going to participate. It's very simple, you will be in charge of drafting the characters you would like on your team, and sending in numbers when it's time to play the game. What are numbers? I'm so glad you asked. Allow me to explain...

The Game Process
    A draft takes place in two parts: part 1 is the actual draft, where you and the other GMs select characters from a list to be on your team(like a pick up game of backyard baseball), part 2 is the where we will pit these characters against one another in mortal kombat and ask the question "who would win if Professor X fought Y: The Last Man?". Allow me to take you through the process.

Step 1: Sign-Ups & The Draft Order
    To begin, I will post a sign-up list(see below), once that list is full, it will look something like this:

1.Darth_Deception
    2.SLAVE2
    3.Maxle
    4.Bassil
    5.Zizz
    6.Yak
    7.TLI
    8.Shirley

Once the roster of participants is full, I will randomize the order(it doesn't matter when you sign up, so don't worry if you're the last one), and the new order will look something like this:

1.Yak
    2.Zizz
    3.TLI
    4.Darth_Deception
    5.Bassil
    6.Shirley
    7.SLAVE2
    8.Maxle

That done, the player in first position will be on the clock, and the draft will begin. The order flips, or snakes, every round, so the player choosing first in round 1 will pick last in round 2. Example:

Round 1:

1. Yak
    2. Zizz
    3. TLI
    4. Darth_Deception
    5. Bassil
    6. Shirley
    7. SLAVE2
    8. Maxle

Round 2:

1. Maxle
    2. SLAVE2
    3. Shirley
    4. Bassil
    5. Darth_Deception
    6. TLI
    7. Zizz
    8. Yak

Step 2: The List, Picking, and The Clock
    Once the game begins, each player will have 24 hours on the clock to make their selection. If they don't make a selection within that time frame, the player will be "bumped", and it will become the next player's turn. The player who is bumped will at that point be able to select a character at their next earliest convenience. However, the draft will continue with the next player being able to pick, and, if the next player does pick, the player after that player will be able to and so on, until the bumped party makes their missed pick. Basically, you lose your dibs.

Picks are made from the list provided. If you do not see a name on the list, that character is unavailable to draft. Picks are made one at a time, unless they are a team pick.

The list is made up of 2 parts: the regular list and team lists. You make take 1 selection at a time from the regular list, or, if you choose, 2 selections from a certain team list(that is to say, no mixing of the team lists; if a character is on the Teen Titans team list, she cannot be paired with a character from the X-Men list). Taking 2 characters from a team list is the same as 1 character from the regular list. Some characters are already paired together on the regular list; they will look like this: Spider-Man/Black Cat--the slash indicates that these 2 characters are taken as a pair at the cost of 1 pick.

Step 3: Matchups, Preps, and Trumps
    Once the draft portion of the game is completed(10 rounds), we will move into matchups. Players will send their teams in on a set of numbers from 1-8, leaving 2 of their characters out of play for each matchup(who you decide not to play is up to you, but you must choose 2 of your selections to sideline). I will call out the numbers 1-8 in random order, so that you won't know which number is coming next.

Once you've decided which 8 you want to play, you have the additional choices of up to 2 preps, and trumping(no more than 4 trumps are allowed).

Preps:
    You don't have to use preps, but they can be very useful for certain characters. Prepping a character gives them 24 hours of advanced knowledge of who they are fighting, and allows them to create plans, prepare their arsenal, or anything else you think they might be able to do in that 24 hours. Prepped characters are given a tablet like supercomputer, on which will be found information about their opponent, such as known weaknesses and personal history, they will also be provided with DNA samples of their opponents, and a small, insignificant sample of anything their opponent may be vulnerable to(such as kryptonite in the case of a kryptonian) so that they might analyze it. The prepped character will be considered to be in their base of operations for that 24 hour period, and will not be able to enlist the aid of others(unless they happened to be trumped with another character).

Trumps:
    Trumping characters together allows you to play 2 or 3 characters on 1 number. This is accomplished by forfeiting the other numbers. You will play the characters to be trumped on a number as usual, but you will write that they are trumped with another character. On the other character's number, you will put that they are trumped with the initial character(see the example below). Depending on which number I call first will determine which number you forfeit. If you decide to prep your trump, you will consume both of your preps, so that you cannot prep any other characters. You do not have to trump. Trumps, like preps, are an optional strategy. If two forfeits meet, we'll call it a draw.

Locations:
    Each matchup will take place in a different location: every time you switch opponents, the location will change. What this has to do with how you play your numbers is up to you as well. Locations are generally neutral, although they may contain an element that a certain character may struggle with(like Namor in the desert).

After you've decided all that, your team and numbers should look something like this:

Blessings From The Hand of Cleveland (creating your own team name is encouraged)
    Fairchild
    Supergirl
    Atom Eve
    Marvel Girl
    Cassandra Cain/Stephanie Brown
    She Hulk
    Freefall
    M(Monet)
    Spider-Woman
    Dazzler/Jubilee

When you send in your numbers to me, however, they should look something like this:

1. Fairchild trumped with Freefall
    2. Marvel Girl
    3. M (Monet)
    4. Supergirl
    5. Freefall trumped with Fairchild
    6. Dazzler/Jubilee (prepared)
    7. Atom Eve (prepared)
    8. She Hulk

Bench:
    Cassandra Cain/Stephanie Brown
    Spider-Woman

I have chosen to trump Freefall and Fairchild. This means that if I call #1 first, I forfeit #5, and the other team gets the win on that number.

How you decide who to put on what number, to prep, or to trump, is totally up to you.

Ties & Team Battles
    Since there are an even amount of numbers to be called, it means that the possibility of a tie exists. If that happens, we will move into a team battle. This is simply all of your characters, to include the benched characters, vs. all of your opponent's characters fighting all at the same time. Teams are considered prepped, and will be able to work together prior to the fight in whatever capacity they are capable of. At this point things like character personalities and general cohesion may be taken into account, so you may want to watch just who it is you're throwing together on the same team(or maybe you don't--that's up to you).

And that's it. That's all you, as a GM, need to do. Draft your team and choose how to deploy them. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'm sure the judges have an open PM box as well.

The Schedule and Playoffs
    The schedule is round robin, meaning you will face each of your fellow GMs one time, for a total of 7-9 matchups. After that, the top 4 teams with the best record will advance to the playoffs.
    The playoffs will be single elimination, and will begin with the #1 seed vs the #4 seed and the #2 seed vs the #3 seed, and so on until the champion is crowned, with a 3rd place bracket for the losers of the first round.

Tiebreaker Order
    Individual character win-loss
    Head to Head

And now, my friends, we may begin.

Sign-Ups
    9.?
    10.?

Judges
    1. Yak?
    2. Trimaj?
    3. Me

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Sign-Ups
    4. Fever
    9.?
    10.?

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    The Yak has arrived. Judgment is at hand.

Darth Punk likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yak, meet the thorn in your side.

Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    4. Fever
    9.?
    10.?

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    4. Fever
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Now we're cooking with crisco.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    3. Minch
    4. Fever
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?

8. Dom_Perignon

Dom_Perignon Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    2. Dom
    3. Minch
    4. Fever
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?​

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm in, though I'll probably fare pretty poorly

Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    2. Dom
    3. Minch
    4. Fever
    5. DarkEagle
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Wow. Durron won even without playing. What a beast.

Mikaboshi and DarkEagle like this.
  11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I'll give this a whirl! Though I will certainly need to brush up on my characters seeing as I haven't bought a comic in about 20 years lol. Will the official list of available characters be posted soon?

Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    2. Dom
    3. Minch
    4. Fever
    5. DarkEagle
    7. DarkLord
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?

Mikaboshi likes this.
  12. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Welcome DLotE. :)

A list will probably be up soon, I think it was also in the discussion thread as well but I would have to look.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    This should be good :)

Sign-Ups
    1. Heels
    2. Dom
    3. Minch
    4. Fever
    5. DarkEagle
    6. Jordan1Kenobi
    7. DarkLord
    8. Mikaboshi
    9.?
    10.?

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, I threw up a Facebook invite and linked in the wrestling forum but I think all the bites (Dom) are done. I'll send some texts tho.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    We can go with 8 if need be. I'll give it until Saturday.

16. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    I will play but before we start can we spend 1 week on the list? Talk about what's peak etc... Also, I can get a few other people in the draft if we can hold the start off by 2 weeks.

Also I can't believe Durron beat me last draft...

17. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    He owned you son. It was hard to watch.

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    As long as Deathstroke's on the list, I'll be happy. Just imagine him with prep time.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  19. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    :)

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    don't think his peak is really... useful compared to the kind of people he'd be up against? unless we've depowered the list somewhat.

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not even entertaining a thought, let alone a discussion, on the draft list. That was debated in the discussion thread, and I made my opinion - and the result of me being commish - known.

I also don't want to try to hash out what peak means. My plan is to post some general guiding directions to the judges, and letting them use their decision making process. I am not a fan of a black and white rule - x months or y issues - and so I will not make a black and white rule.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This from Chim: "I'm having login account issues and they are getting sorted out in the meantime if they fill up and need a GM spot for someone else that's fine too."

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Peak should be defined like probable cause: a reasonable amount of [evidence], supported by circumstances sufficiently strong enough to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    When the list goes up, I'll probably suggest a means based on who's on the list. And also I want to go back (I mean I guess I should just do it today) and get that thing we had from one of the Animated drafts that detailed how matches started and so on.

Just in regard to things like extra Iron Man armors and stuff like that, unless the commish overrules me I'm not considering anything like that. It just ruins the point of even doing this to have your own private army in my opinion.

And I can only be overruled by the Commish of the More Taste League.

However if another judge has a system they like and declares it I'll probably follow it just for consistency's sake unless I really hate it.

Trimaj and heels1785 like this.