main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    According to this article, that's what's going to happen. :mad:

Jerks. I hope they'll at least allow new SW books. I want to see them find Mortis and the Ones. Dammit! And maybe discover Mara's backstory, like how she came to Palpatine in the first place, why she was taken from her parents? I hate Disney.

Bardan Edit: Belated thread title change.

GnastyGnas, wsk, BultarSwan and 5 others like this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Their new SW books will have nothing to do with what we know, I'm sure.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya i was hoping to finish off the mortis/Abeloth story, But i doubt we will see it finished which sucks. I still think Mortis will have a part somehow though, Luke will be the "One" Maybe

Khalia Octa likes this.
  4. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    That article was very disrespectful to the EU novels. The information contained went down a little harder due to the poisonous tone it took.
    It did say there was no real hard evidence what would be canon and what wouldn't be. It speculated that books set after ROTJ will be non canon, but even that it couldn't say for sure.
    The article is largely opinion and speculation, educated guesswork.
    I think it's very possible that we'll get some tie ins with the EU, with characters like Thrawn and Mara Jade surviving in the new novels even if most of their older stories will be out of continuity. I'd expect for the next two or three years at least that the novels will be prequels and in-between novels set before ROTJ so as not to contradict the new movies. I imagine this will confuse casual reader for a long time, who'll pick up second hand copies of EU novels and be confused as to why they're so different from Star Wars VII and onwards.

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    It's a crime! What is wrong with the characters, the plot of the books?! OK some of the books could be burned, but generally, the plots aren't too bad, I mean really!? Has anyone ever really looked at the plot of ANH!? It's not that solid! :p

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I wouldn't put too much stock in this article–yes, the majority of EU will probably be retconned away by the new movies, but that author was clearly biased, and he's quite a jerk about it to top it off. So take that with a massive grain of salt.

Joanne2108, Mitth_Fisto, zark and 4 others like this.
  7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thats good to hear Revanfan as I love many of the EU characters and hope to see a few of them in the new movie.

Revanfan1 and RevanRage like this.
  8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I don't think I can believe this, because it's an op-ed with a rather venomous tone towards the EU, as well as the fact that I saw recently somewhere that Leland Chee is doing away with the multi-tiered canon system, placing the EU on the same level as the Movies.

Mitth_Fisto, zark and RevanRage like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Doing away with "multi-tiered canon" yes.

Problem is- it may be a case of "canon" and "not-canon"

With the movies, TCW, and Rebels being "canon" and on the same tier rather than split into G-canon and T-canon, and everything else being "not-canon-at-all"

We'll have to wait and see, though.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The article is indeed, shall we say, mean. But nothing in the official statements says there is no more EU. All it indicates is that they will take it as needed or throw it out as the story goes or else they are just slaves to it and won't have the room to write stories.

This does of course mean that given the ages of the main characetrs from the OT that their stories will have a few decades of time between episodes 6 and 7 and certainly might not follow what the EU has done.

11. RevanRage

RevanRage Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2013
    If they cut the Old Republic chronology out I'm going to die inside...

Darkslayer and Odolwa like this.
  12. RevanRage

RevanRage Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2013
    If they cut the Old Republic chronology out I'm going to die inside...

Lanoree, Darkslayer and Amon_Amarth like this.
  13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe they should get a person who can actually report and not say his opinions. I hardly got anything out of that article, besides the fact that he dislikes the EU and isn't a good reporter.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with Drenn. This is merely poisoning the well more and heightening fears. It tells us very little of merit.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't know, I thought the article was reasonably accurate:

"Ironically, nuking all post-RotJ material would remove Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which Lucasfilm authorized and provided limited collaboration on. Zahn's three books are easily the best of the often-literally-vomit-inducing tie-in novels, but they also are set shortly after the events of RotJ and deal specifically with the aftermath of the fall of the Empire. Losing them would mean losing some of the best content the EU has to offer; it would also, however, mean considerably more latitude in following up Episodes IV-VI."

110% agreed.

17. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    I don't get the hate for the EU novels. Sure, some might not be exactly Star Wars other than certain names applied, but they're often better reads than most other books on the shelves near them (though that'd be the Star Wars fan here talking), not to mention being better than some of the ultimate Lucas canon.

They'll be throwing out some EU -- that's what Chee seems to imply, right? Setting up a committee with others, and they get to decide what's canon and what's not, most likely based on the new movies. I'm guessing all of the Clone Wars and Old Republic stuff will still be canon, for example.

Chromide, Darkslayer and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    While not all EU is good, it has some brilliant moments, as exemplified by the Thrawn Trilogy, KotOR comics etc. Heck, I even enjoyed NJO. But no matter which parts of EU are more liked than the others, it was the EU Lit that has kept fandom and the franchise going in those dark years between the trilogies and especially after 2005. Shouldn't be just forgotten.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that some of the Clone Wars stuff has already been contradicted (at least in timeline specifics, and occasionally in Character Deaths, such as Adi Gallia's) in TCW, it's very hard to make it all canon.

Though books like The Essential Atlas have tried to put together a coherent timeline for the Clone Wars era. I think they went with keeping events (Anakin repels Separatist attack on Praesitlyn late in Year 2 of the war: Jedi Trial) but removing plot points like "After the battle Anakin was promoted to Jedi Knight" since according to TCW he was a Jedi Knight only a few weeks after AoTC.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Is there an official canon for the Clone Wars era now? I was under the impression that TCW cartoons had its own canon...
    There used to have been clashes between the original Clone Wars series by Tartakovsky and the comics (Republic), but true, some of it was dealt with in The Essential series.

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    TCW, is now Movie level Canon, Rebels will be too, and anything directly tied to them, anything not approved by the Story Group will not be canon.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's the TCW novelization, and several novels "tied" to the TCW series.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The levelling off of canon isn't the same as making it all non-canon, though. The rumourmongering is making a mess of things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with Sinre. I think everyone's prematurely jumping at shadows. Isn't it wiser to wait for a credible statement to clarify things?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Rather than different levels of canon, doesn't this mean they are trying to make it all one universal level of canon? At least from this point forward across the different formats. I am sure we will find out more down the track.

Besides, no one is taking away or saying that you cannot enjoy what had already came before. You can hold that close while you enjoy the new content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.