main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2014 Index updated winner of 2013 announced

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Quick clarification question. Can we add a prologue and/or epilogue from a "character" not the main if it fits into the overall journal? Such as someone recording one final entry about a character's death (since a character can't really journal after they die)?

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I'm not sure on that one, considering most don't kill off their main character that question hasn't come up since I took over the Dear Diary challenge.

Ceillean

I'm thinking yes if it's done as an epilogue form where the person who is writing the entry in, introduces themselves and the reason why they're filling in the entry. So it doesn't become confusing. What do you think Ceillean?

3. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I've seen JediMara77 do it for her Mara Jade journal a couple of years back. It fit in really well with the context of her story as well.

4. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    They did I am Legend in a diary type format now I'm thinking about it. The main character sacraficed his life so the girl could get away with the cure saving the rest of humanity. I'm thinking it's okay as long as you make it known that the main character was killed and why the other character is filling in the last entry for them. Reason of death, the events that led up to the death, the name of the character that is filling in the entry along those lines. It should be okay.

Does that sound okay with you Volund?
    Volund Starfire

5. Volund Starfire

Sep 5, 2012
    Yup. Though it was just one example. I probably should have explained it a little better...

I'm looking at doing a relaunch of my Spartan journal from last year, but opening it with Dr. Halsey's interview for the first half of the first post and the "acquisition team leader" report for the second half of the first post. Then the main character for the remainder of the posts. Though, the last post will be an official report of competency of the main character entered into his personnel file (which also contains all of his journal entries) written by Chief Petty Officer Mendez (the instructor of the Spartans).

6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    my mind just said huh and I had to reread this a couple of times over to understand what you're trying to say

As the first post, make sure they're two separate entries making sure the reader knows who is speaking so it doesn't become too confusing

Same goes for the first post of the main character and the final entry otherwise it will be very confusing. As long as it all goes into the same journal and everyone can read the other's comments then it's fine.

7. Volund Starfire

Sep 5, 2012
    Okay, here's a bit of the description.

Dr. Halsey is the one who interviewed and ultimately authorized the kidnapping of all of the children for the project. The first entry is hers about her interview with the main character before he was kidnapped. The second part is the report of the soldier that actually did the kidnapping. They are both part of the record that his journal is being made for.

The rest of the journal is from the character who is actually keeping the journal.

The last entry is from another person, who explains why the journal is being classified and locked into the ONI vaults. Since the main character wouldn't do that, it is the analysis of the character who is doing it.

8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
  9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
  10. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    The last chapter from another person and why sounds fine. I think it's best to try and keep this from one perspective with the last chapter at the end. My questions about this is how did the main character get the diary from the person who authorized the kidnapping and the one who performed the kidnapping. The ones involved with the kidnapping would never hand over the diary so readily. I'm a little confused by how you plan to write the first two chapters.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I find myself making multiple entries in my diary (four so far, and it's only the 12th), but unfortunately no one is posting responses in the thread itself. So I've got three entries in a row as of right now, and a couple of folks who are interested in seeing updates. (I've PMed the Diary sock but it hasn't read it).

So should I tag people in my posts if they are interested, or use PMs?

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...dear-diary-2014-udated-january-12th.50017416/

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I used to pm users interested but now I just tag them

as for the sock, do you know what the meaning of a sock is? Just curious....

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yeah I know what a sock is. But thanks; I'll start tagging people.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For anything -- not just my diary only, I tag a. those who specifically ask for one and/or b. those who reply to the thread - if a reader doesn't reply and hasn't asked for a tag, I hold off until they start reading again, so the alerts work properly. :)

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    My resurrected diary: Dear Diary

Yup, it's unimaginative, but I can't think of anything better.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Before the move I did PMs when I was writing Star Wars fanfic. Now a tag seems easier and allows the reader to go directly to the story instead of having to open a PM and then have to go and look for the story on the boards.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just FYI regarding tagging people: Just like in the past with PMs (and it does still apply to PMs) please don't tag someone solely for a story update unless they've asked for it.

I personally still prefer PMs because I get so many tags, I'll probably lose the tag (or more likely forget) before I get around to reading. With a PM/Convo I can hold onto it until I get the chance to read... but that's just a personal preference.

Ack! Only 2 more days to see if I can get enough written on the Diary I was thinking about. (I want to get at least 6 months written prior to starting so I'm less likley to get blocked and give up. ;) )

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree with mavjade on this. There's also the fact that tags expire after a while, or at least the notifications do. With a PM it stays unread until you read it, which is really useful. What's great about these new boards is that it's now conversations, so you give the conversation something like 'Diary 2014 Updated' and you look for the conversations with that when you update. It's not like the old boards where you have to send a new PM every time. In a lot of ways it's so much better, for both the writer and the receiver.

Edit: oh, and including a link in update PMs is useful too.

mavjade and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I would advise not using tags too much. There comes a point when things like that become spam, even if the tagger is well meaning. People can watch threads and have updates sent to their e-mail automatically, so I would advise readers to do that with stories that they are interested in. It is a forum, after all, and not a social networking site and I'm not sure that I like the features which make the boards like one.

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And for the first time (since the beginning of this challenge!) I just couldn't think of a bunny I thought would inspire me the whole year, despite trying out a few ideas. But I'm excited to read the diaries that are being posted!

21. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I always added a link to the latest update in the pm. Did away with the searching. :)
    Right here and right now, I don't do anything but post. Since I do that about everyday, I think the diary will be easy enough to follow.

22. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    When are we going to get an update on the challenge (mini challenges and such). I thought that were were going to get an update around the 14th but there hasn't been one and it is now the 19th.

23. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007

[face_waiting] I have a life outside this board you know.

Apologies to everyone I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I took the time to update the index before going to work. Work has become super crazy and will be even more insane by the 20th and won't slow down until April. Yeah it's all preplanned to drive me up a tree :p

If I missed anything please let me know.

I have decided Sick day will be the first mini challenge

We do have a winner from last years diary challenge and I thought the way the votes were coming in I thought I was going to have to break it. Luckily I don't have too. [face_relieved]

Leela "One vote can make a difference" Futurama

The winner is

Artoo's Frazzled Circuits by Hazel =D=

Congrats Hazel :)

Random Comments and Jedi_Lover like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.