main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ~~** OFFICIAL **~~ WOCKY NEWS DEPOSITORY THREAD. TOS MINDED. MOD APPROVED. PROBABLY

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Refuses to discuss the waters of his homeworld.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This is true; for though we know the year of his birth other details of his home world are a mystery to us.

I hear he loves cheese. Especially fruit and cheese.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Wait wait wait. He tries to play matchmaker for you, too?:oops:

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    - Had a 17 month long romantic relationship with then United States Attorney General Janet Reno from 1994-1995.

- College roommate was Gene Roddenberry. He took notes whenever Wocky would talk in his sleep and those notes became the basis for "Star Trek".

- His long time hobby of falconry was instrumental in finding a lost horde of Nazi gold.

- Refuses to speak of or even be in the same room as Bette Midler.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    -- Has more than one thread dedicated to gleaning facts about him

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The hell, Jello?

One thread was dead, and of a different purpose. But that's cool, you just meander in here possessed of honey glazed ham fists and MODERATE THE PLACE UP.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incorrect -- the original thread title was "ITT we list facts gleaned about Jabba-wocky," which is the exact same premise as your thread. jp later requested the thread title be edited to be a parody of the wacky news thread.

So cry more plz.

jp-30 likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Honey glazed ham flavored Jello? Interesting.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not crying, I'm pleased to see an act of clumsy and unnecessary moderation performed for no other reason than arguably you were bored and/or in the mood to kill a thread. It makes me nostalgic because that's basically the TwilekJedi school of moderating right there.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Jabba-wocky Please explain yourself.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What is there to explain? Apollonia was a much better human being, they conducted a more fitting courtship, and both families were more involved and integrated. Kay destroyed everyone's whole life.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender, it's not the end of the world just because the thread doesn't have your name plastered on the front of it or that people have realized your idea wasn't very original.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Her courtship with Michael is the weakest part of the film, and represents the worst of old time, small minded folk. So this random American-Italian gangster shows up, and within days he gets to marry her? The hell? At least the courtship of Kay was more sensible, despite all of her ills. Kay may have been part crazy & part naive, but at least she wasn't a complete country bumpkin.

15. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    How can you say their families were more involved when there's no evidence anyone else in Michael's family even met Apollonia? As it is I don't think her character can really be commented on either as all we know is she loved Michael and was trying to learn the days of the week that one time. She's a completely flat character. At least Kay did something.

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How dare you say that, Tunick? Let's review the actual facts of what happened. First, he was extensively interviewed by her parents before he was even allowed to meet the girl. Then, extensive inquiries made into his background to ensure that he was a nice person. From there, they had a wonderful, meaningful, interaction. Michael had a chance to meet and talk to the girl in a number of neutral, idyllic settings where they could focus on building relationship fundamentals instead of getting distracted with unimportant, superficial elements. Just as importantly, Michael was at the same time being introduced to her brothers, cousins, parents, aunts and uncles. When the two approved of each other, they went ahead with a ceremony. Is there anything more ideal?*

EDIT: Really, MrZap? I think we can conclude quite a few things about her. She very much loves her husband. She feels that family is deeply important. In both her enthusiasm for driving and English, she shows real curiosity and a lively intellect. Finally, in that her attitude doesn't much change from when she is living happily in the countryside or married to one of the most powerful men in America, we also know that she is not a person to be greatly affected by wealth or changed by poverty. She is a stable, honest person. Unfortunately, none of these things can be said about Kay. I should think that pretty well finishes this debate, no?

*I mean, obviously, one thing. But I like to imagine he asked her during one of the conversations we couldn't hear, because they were just playing music over it.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm basing this of the film of course... perhaps things were a bit different in the novel.

All we see his her father... at least it's the only family member of hers that got a speaking role. We can't assume that her mother was involved, or even if she was alive. Let's say she was alive: given the father's inclination to let his daughter (basically) instantly marry a strange man, and Apollonia's acceptance of it all of that shows to me a woman who is willing to be pushed around, one who grew up in an environment in which the patriarchy ruled the day... thus, rendering her mother will little to no power. And you knew, even without her demise, that Michael wasn't really going to stay in Italy with Apollonia... eventually, they would have headed back to New York.

That hadn't happened yet... all that occurs when he returns from Italy. :p

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well this is exciting

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Fine, I will happily amend to say it was only her father. But you are projecting, Tunick. You even admitted yourself that she was very happy with him. Why are you acting like her choice can't be a valid one? Just because it's not the choice you would have made doesn't mean it wasn't hers. Nor does it mean anyone forced her to do anything. Why don't you have respect for the fact that she can make her own life choices?

Also, for all your barking about her marrying a criminal, can I point something out?

Crimes Committed While In A Relationship with Apollonia: 0
    Crimes Committed While In A Relationship with Kay: Every single one in the entire trilogy

I'm just saying.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Apollonia looks like a Margaery, if you know what I mean. Well versed in the art of... penis.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, Michael is in Sicily for two years. The courtship is almost certainly over the course of months. Kay, on the other hand, Michael drops cold in the middle of their courtship, ignores for three years, including a year in which he's in the country, and then shows up to out of nowhere and basically demands a family from. Michael's marriage to Apollonia may be old-fashioned, but it's healthier than his marriage to Kay, about which nothing was right. Not that anything Wocky says actually makes sense there (Michael destroyed everyone's lives, not Kay, that's the point of the damn movies), but Michael's relationship with Kay, after he went into exile, was deeply unhealthy.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That's a Game of Thrones reference isn't it?

Havac I had forgotten about the timeline... still, we aren't quite sure how long the courtship lasted; I'm never going to like that part of the film. Why is an old fashioned courtship/wedding better anyway? :p

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not saying it's better than a more modern marriage -- that's just Wocky being Wocky. In fact, Michael and Kay's initial romance, from what we see of it, appears to be perfectly normal and healthy. What the Sicilian marriage compares favorably to is Michael's cold, domineering approach to Kay -- you can't really call it romance or courtship -- and marriage after his return. In Sicily, Michael may initiate the relationship by asking permission of her father and family, but at least there's actual courtship, as he talks with her and woos her under their supervision, and she does have the chance to say no to him if she doesn't like him, so the end result is a marriage of two people who like each other and appear happy together. Which is more than you can say for Michael's controlling, selfish, loveless relationship with Kay.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah like -- he shows her his good side, treats her well, etc. it's an idyll, a fantasy, but that short pastoral bliss looked to be happy. When he returns, there's none of that. I don't know what he would've done had she lived -- I don't think he'd have stayed, but would he have brought her with him?

Of course, this doesn't really show that Apollonia is better -- just that their brief marriage was healthier than the way he'd treat Kay once he got into the business.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I win again, Ender.

LostOnHoth likes this.