main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never had an issue with references to other events in books... I actually find it helps immerse me in the narrative better.

Take that film... what was the name... ah yes, A New Hope. Luke's father fought in those there Clone Wars. What were they? Doesn't matter. That old Obi-Wan coot never bothered to explain it, dang him!

But that never detracted from the story for me. It improved it. It made it fill like a living, breathing galaxy, where you don't need to understand or know everything to enjoy the story -- just like nobody knows everything about most world history either, but you know a little, you've got a vague idea about India or China, enough to build up a little window into another place, instead of just some faces with no context or wider perspective at all.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm very late on the Pixar discussion, but I will say this: I was not nearly as in love with Wall-E as everyone else seems to be. However, the visuals in that movie are fantastic, and actually made me think of Star Wars several times.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    And become Devastator

Ulicus likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I still need to see that. The last Pixar film I saw in theaters was The Incredibles, and I didn't see TS2 and TS3 until like, last year :p I have seen Ratatouille and Brave, but both of those were rather late (though I guess there wasn't too long a gap with Brave).

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Made us want to explore all of the material that was out there didn't it?

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only real problem with Mercy Kill in my opinion is any of the post-NJO events it references are ridiculous and have alienated me, so I could never buy it for that, only for the flashbacks through the Yuuzhan Vong War that are of interest to me. Which is why even though I am an X-wing fan, I haven't even bothered to buy Mercy Kill yet, so the only reasons why I am going to buy it is to support the series and for the flashbacks through the Yuuzhan Vong War.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yeah Obi-wan left a few things out :p

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd recommend it. It was fairly enjoyable, even for someone who isn't big on Pixar films. If nothing else, Wall-E is way more interesting and expressive than R2-D2.

On that note, I think Pixar is the only avenue I would ever accept another R2-D2 and C-3P0 story.

Cynical_Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    pah, Disney would do it better. Pixar wouldn't have the courage to have Threepio sing The Little Lost Bantha Cub!

10. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Now THIS is a young reader's Star Wars book that I would actually buy.

Im surprised, given how its come up more than a few times in-universe, that no one at LFL has thought "oh why not" and just put out a version of it as one of those numerous kids books they do every year. Honestly, it would probably sell better than most just from EU fans picking it up for novelty.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Advocating a KJA reference? That's a paddlin'.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have always been curious about that story. It sounds cute. :)

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    50 shades of KJA ?!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Come now. KJA's books are perfectly written at the comprehension level of a small child.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004

[​IMG]

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I liked KJA's books. I also think if he's the one that created the in-universe story it'd be cool if someone actually wrote it and or put a ref in the ST for the kids.

Darth_Henning and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Okay, let me preface with it's the Internets and everybody makes up everything.

All that being said, I dig the general vibe of the article which is this bit:
    Episode seven takes place, in 30 ABY. Jacen, and Jaina will be to Ben what Han, and Leia were to Luke. Ben is around the same age as his cousins. Chewie will be alive, and this is an all new timeline from 4 ABY forward.
    Pablo Hidalgo, and Leland Chee have been consulting with Kathleen, and JJ, on EU elements, and characters from the database.

I don't think using the EU has Cold Hard Canon Historical Fact is a good idea to base the ST off but taking character names, story ideas, general history, species, planets, etc., is a really good usage of those 2 decades of Star Wars stuff. It acknowledges it without being constrained by it. That's a fabulous idea going forward. So we get, like, Thrawn showing up 30 years after ROTJ instead of 5, etc. Jania is Han & Leia's kid but she never learned to be a Jedi and has to figure it out, stuff like that. Mara Jade is Luke's love of his life who maybe wasn't The Emperor's Hand or something that specific but she came from a dark place, is very Force snazzy, is very sarcastic, and now is nice and loves Luke and they have a kid named Ben etc. Use the EU names and mine it for story potential but don't be beholden to it.

Like Marvel's cinematic Universe, it takes a hellova lot from the various comics history but it doesn't make it unbreakable foundation. Just a very, very deep story well. Which is what the previous EU can be. So it will be a part of the universe. Just not exactly exact canon fact exactly unbreakable. That's a win-win from my point of view.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not opposed to the general sentiment but it sounds faker than the Boba Fett rumor that was so controversial, at least in the way it's described.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, probably. I ain't saying it's right but I do dig the idea of "okay, we have all this stuff to draw from, let's draw from it." instead of "okay, we have all this stuff that is as canon as the movies, how can we make this work?"

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Beware, the guy who said that got blown up by Garrak about 5 minutes later and The Sisko was okay with it.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Didn't make him wrong! And Garak was nursing a bruised jaw for a good few days and Sisko was Not Happy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    BigAl6ft6 - you had me at "Force snazzy".

krtmd and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    It even says in the article that this was something posted in the COMMENTS section of another article.

I mean, how much more official could we ask for? That's OBVIOUSLY Lucas in disguise posting so we all know what's coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.