main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I thought that when I saw the image of her face that was in one of the other recent articles. She's definitely looking much better again. :)

I'd say she looks much more like Leia again now than she did a few years ago.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually hope Leia is in a housecoat wielding a baseball bat towards intruders in the ST but that's just me.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Burglars of the Skyhouse, beware!

4. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Han: "Leia is that a baseball bat in you hands or am I just happy to see you again?"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    The most recent pictures of both Hamil and Fisher look like they've lost a fair bit of weight. Which isn't really surprising given the roles that they are expected to be filling in a few months. Still a ways to go for both though.

At least Ford is still in shape.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    What does that mean? Why do so many knock these people and the concept of age? What says they have to fit our personal concepts in order to do the job Disney wants them to?

Mange likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Given the precedent for wonky formal outfits, I'm not even concerned about Fisher's weight as much as her voice--there's not much to be done about that. Though I guess the life Leia's led in the EU isn't much more pleasant that what she's really been through.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Somebody has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, Flyboy...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope Leia regains her disappearing British accent from the opening act of ANH! I think Vader tortured it outta her.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If I remember correctly, that poorly executed British accent was Leia's "court voice," while her native American accent was her everyday "real" voice.

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. vadimk

vadimk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2009
    In fact, she really does look very similar to the aged Leia depictions we see these days.

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to know the credentials of this "source."

That said, I'd be fine if Luke's wife is a feisty redhead but I hope she isn't overpowered or set up as a pet. I don't want to listen to the other characters talk about how great she is.

And keep the sappy romance out of my Star Wars please. (No, Han and Leia were not sappy.)

krtmd, Revanfan1 and fett 4 like this.
  14. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

That sight sounds like a load of crap. Taking info from comment sections and then making up a name for a particular source. I think the people who run that site are just making up their own rumors.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    So if the rumor is true, they will change names of all main EU characters post-RotJ?

I don't like that, but it is possible. But I don't understand why they would change names of some planets, like for example this here: http://jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=15285

We saw Korriban on concept arts for bonus content, also Korriban was seen on the Polish trailer. Will Moriband be some different place, or they are also renaming the whole lore? If yes - WHY? What will happen with SWTOR - they will shut it down or call not-canon?

All recent rumors are just terrible for me, EU-fan. My favorite fictional universe is in danger and I don't know how I should react...

Revanfan1 and JediKnight75 like this.
  16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I feel the same way and I hope both rumors are false (well I think the Morriband one is probably true). I see no purpose in remaining the planet; it would almost be like they are doing it because the can. Which I don't like, I feel that it's a bad way to wrote within a universe like Star Wars. Retcons should only be done when necessary. And they can't say that this name is part of George Lucas's vision; it is way to close to Korriban. Atleast this one will be easy to reconcile with the rest of the EU. Korriban could easily have two names, but it wouldn't makes sense having them so similar.

About the taking characters' personalities, but changing their names: I think it's a terrible decision. If your going to take a character out of the EU, why change their name? A name is a lot less restrictive than a personality. It would be easier to name a character Mara, than make a character act like her. It's like they are retconing simply to prove a point, which is bad writing. If they want new characters then make completely new ones and let the EU ones remain safely off screen. If they want to use the EU then use the EU as it is. Don't do this in between stuff. Still, I have a feeling this rumor may he false

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I remember people saying that they should have renamed the twi-lek planet since they didn't use the EU deciption of Ryloth. This could be a case of them having a Sith planet but because it wouldn't be enough like Korriban for one reason or another (well, that one G-reason) they don't call it that.

Just a theory. Then again, Korriban and especially the Valley haven't been that consistently portrayed ever :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bleh, if they want to reboot, they should just reboot, and free themselves from the burden of any EU baggage at all. If they try and half-ass it, they'll just end up making both sides moan.

If it did turn out that was true (not that I'm convinced), then changing a name, but keeping the character, strikes me as another Kahn, with them just not wanting to reveal which character [Insert Actress] is playing, so are publishing false casting names.

I won't even be surprised if the first few scenes they film aren't even in the movie, and if they film more than one ending, purely to stop leaks giving it all away.

RC-1991 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  19. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    So, Rachel it is.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm honestly thinking any expectations of quality went out the window during the writer switch. I'm also fairly dubious about the EU stuff though -- it smells of super shadow-esque stuff.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Exactly. Exhibit A (one of many): Filoni's smug remarks about Barris Offee in TWC. Not to beat another dead horse, but there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Barris they way they did, other than shock value and "because we can." Even in the context of the show, the selection of that character didn't make any sense.

All I want to know is if we can get one last "final" EU book; a nice send-off if you will, to provide closure to that timeline of the series. Given the recent news regarding SOTJ, I doubt we will, which does sadden me.

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Wasn't that more like keeping the name but changing the character?

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It still mystifies me how everybody responded to that video. I was as annoyed about Barriss as anyone, but all he's doing in the video is acknowledging the uncomfortable situation--yet everyone was so used to hating him that they heard "**** you".

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This forum needs a "thanks Filoni" meme.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Incidentally, Zahn himself left a comment on CJ confirming that he never met with Abrams, as the "source" claims.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.