main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Havac needs to be empowered to do something about all these rumors. The novelty and amusement of people talking them seriously has worn off.

Havac likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    People claiming to know insiders are the last people you ought to trust, seeing as actual insiders would get in trouble for leaking these things.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    GUYS A YOUTUBE COMMENTER SAID THAT HIS UNCLE'S MISTRESS'S COUSIN'S COKE DEALER KNOWS STEVE SANSWEET'S BUTLER'S GODSON'S BOWLING LEAGUE TEAMMATE, AND IT TURNS OUT CHEWBACCA IS ALIVE AND HE'S GAY PARTNERS WITH JAR JAR BINKS AND THEY'RE ROLLING HAN AND LEIA'S CHILDREN ALL INTO ONE ROLE NAMED "ZEKK SOLO" WHO IS A ROGUE SQUADRON PILOT WHO DIES IN A WAR EXCEPT NOT AGAINST THE YUUZHAN VONG BUT THEY'RE FIGHTING THE SKRULLS WHO ARE LED BY A KRATH LORD NAMED CORRAN HORN AND HE'S PLAYED BY ANJELICA HUSTON IN A RODIAN SUIT BUT ANYWAY, THIS ZEKK GUY, HE COMES BACK AND TURNS TO THE DARK SIDE AND THEN KILLS HIMSELF AND HE'S GOING TO BE PLAYED BY LOUIS CK.

THIS SOUNDS REALLY CREDIBLE.

I THINK IT'S TIME TO PANIC GUYS.

4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    You had me at coke dealer. They know everything.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And krt reveals a little more about herself than she was planning.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm panicking.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I'd personally much rather use the character names and general character arcs as inspiration as a shout-out to the EU history. It would be a nod but not be completely beholden to the entire decades of novel character development baggage. but if they want to name Luke's wife Mara Jade and have the same shape of her history (worked as a Imp, now good, uses the Force, fiesty, red hair, etc.) that is something I would really dig. I think the EU should be used as inspiration like Marvel comics are to the movies, not unbreakable canon doctrine.

Revanfan1 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Where have you been? Coke dealers haven't been on the up-and-up since the mid 80s. You have to go to the meth dealers now.

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, I'm old. ;-p

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    There's a whole new world of hardcore drugs out there, just waiting to be discovered. It's full of fun and adventure, and also death. Don't be shy.

I like to think no one actually takes them seriously; it can just be occasionally fun to talk about why whatever super-credible-no-this-time-I'm-serious piece of info would be a really, really bad idea. Besides, if we've gone through all the terrible possibilities, that leaves only good possibilities, right? RIGHT??

Well, I'm no meme artist, but I can get us started...

[​IMG]

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'll talk about rumors and whether I like them or not, but it seemed to me like people are taking every single rumor seriously and immediately panicking over them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You've just described the Episode 7 forum in a nutshell.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, well I don't go to the Episode VII forum. What I don't know, hopefully, can't hurt me. Though when I do happen to look in that direction, I get this throbbing feeling in my head...

Zorrixor and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I never take the rumors seriously because none of them have evidence behind them, I just discuss them in a "would this be a good or bad thing, if true" manner. Because some of the rumors have been too good to be true, and some have been truly awful. And almost certainly, none of them true.

Gamiel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will admit I give way more credence to official trades like Hollywood Reporter (ie. Heat Vision) and Variety and such way, way, way more than Starwars7 and Latino Review. (I'm also fairly okay with stuff HitFix but McWeeney/Morarity has been in the Star Wars game for a long time now)

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not too crazy about Hollywood Reporter either.

17. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

The only real Star Wars news people should pay much attention to is news coming from official lucasfilm sites and official disney sites. All those fan sites are nothing more than star wars fan joe and star wars fan jane taking the time to put up their own little personal star wars site. A lot of them I would bet just make the rumors up themselves and conveniently say that it comes from someone from lucasfilm just so it sounds a little more official. Or they just snag rumors that they got from other fan sites (where somewhere down the line was likely still made up by a fellow fan site webmaster).

Also I would bet that there is a very good chance that many of those people who run those fan sites post here on this forum.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Give it a year, and the rumors will all be damn funny.

Cynical_Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If I remember correctly, when the prequels came out we heard a gazillion rumors, and many seemed to be based on something factual (Boba Fett as a kid, arena monsters, two new Sith dudes), but almost every single one was a massive embellishment of what actually happened.

I don't know if that was a flaw inherent in the prequels' overall story, or something that might happen again. On the one hand, yeah, nothing majorly unexpected happened in the prequels, but they had a ton of ideas that could have gone somewhere if explored in more depth (e.g. the new villains, the Separatist crisis, the Jedi Order's role in the galaxy, etc). Some of that was explored in the EU, but I think the lack of depth and rush to make Anakin turn Sith, something we all knew would happen already, disappointed a lot of fans who had far more elaborate expectations. (and I'll admit I was totally one of them)

So I'm thinking that this time around, that may happen again. We'll get a ton of crazy rumors, and it might be the truth is actually hidden there somewhere, but just a fraction as zany as the embellishment surrounding it.

...or this being a JJ Abrams film, we get the mind-bending Jesus Tribble blood spoiler at the 11th hour.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As a man who like hats I don't see how Filoni's is stupid, I find it rather nice actually

Grey1, Cynical_Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Filoni's hat would be better if he folded the front brim up Corporal Agarn-style.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's not how I remember it--I remember "Gabriel Byrne plays a Jedi", "Kitster becomes Boba Fett", and "Naboo becomes Dagobah".

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Filoni always looks to me like an off-brand Robert Rodriguez.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd like to preface this by saying that everything I've seen has indicated that Dave Filoni is in all likelihood a very cool, nice guy who cares about Star Wars (if not in the way that many fans would like him to).

The hat is still stupid.

RC-1991 and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That hat is cool. It's when he's wearing a beanie that it's stupid. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.