main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Apparently neither one actually has debate skills. They have presentation skills but not debate so you may see more of a presentation of their ideas and less of debate. Personally I believe in Intelligent design. You can't argue with the science that evolutionists use. At the same time you can't argue against evolution since we don't know what the act of creation entails and what god's role in it was. Personally I believe all the science evidence of the age of the earth and the dinosaurs.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    http://thesleeperawakened.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-im-glad-its-bill-nye.html

Read.

[​IMG]

Also just for fun, here's a letter to Bill Nye from the good people of Australia.

http://secoa.org/media/bill-nye-open-letter/

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I believe in Creationism at it's most basic level. I believe that God is responsible for the creation of the universe, but that He used the methods we have discovered through science. We may not know everything yet, but the science we have is correct, I think. I certainly don't have the slightest reason to suggest otherwise.

It's a shame "creationism" is such a dirty word. I have to explain to people that it's a totally different thing from "Young-Earth Creationism" or "Intelligent Design" or "Bat**** Loony Tunes Psuedoscience."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And what form does this God take? What is it?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's kinda similar to my belief that God or some such set things in motion.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Did someone seriously publish an entire article about T^1 with a gravity function?

Man, I just don't even...

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's fun to read.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not when you've been doing differential geometry on toroids all day. [​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    The fact that human beings are essentially pewp factories implies not only intelligent design but heartbreaking genius that could only be divine.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Once when I was bored in college I decided to reformulate classical mechanics with 3 time variables (tx, ty, tz) and one space variable that acted like time currently does. Gave everyone a headache.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    YEah . . . I . . . also hate it when I have to do diffrential geometry . . . on toriods all day . . . it's . . . uh, the worst, yeah, that's it. The worst. God, I hate it.

Saintheart likes this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You don't sound very convinced. Maybe we should go into detail.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Looks like an angry monkey spank, Ramza. Just saying.

beezel26 can you please explain what facets of evolution leave you sufficiently in doubt of their accuracy, and into the arms of intelligent design?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I appreciate Nye's effort in that debate, but all he really did was provide free advertising for that museum.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think the museum's existence was fairly well established, but my hope is that he may have shown that this particular thing conflicts with science, but not that religion as a whole does. He was very particular about that.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    You're getting your concepts mixed up. Creationism is aimed solely at suggesting Genesis is accurate about how the earth was formed and how living things came to assume the shapes they did. Evolution contradicts largely the latter because the evidence is very strongly in favour of homo Kardashian's rise being due to chance rather than design; mutation rather than God favouring a pile of dirt with halitosis and then making Eve out of a spare rib left over from a night out at Bob's Country Bunker (although I'm partial to Ben Elton's exegesis that the penis was that small, nasty bit of something always left over in a box of KFC which God then whacked onto Adam.)

Saying you can't argue evolution because we don't know what creation entails is akin to the God of the Gaps argument. You can't hide the deity back down there behind Planck's wall. More to the point, putting God in front of the Big Bang is speculating on abiogenesis, not creationism as such.

18. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Non-commutative geometry belongs in Bill's 'non-sexual things that turn you on' thread but I don't want to double post because I'm a Good Internet User.

19. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

[​IMG]

Sent from my ridiculously annoying Android device.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

I had actually debated whether to put the word in quotes. In the end, it may be a museum of ignorance, but it's still a museum.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Kinda line beezel's post history is a "museum."

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We should just design a starship that runs on poop. Hell we should have everything run on fecal matter.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    It's worked for Congress for years.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    "Worked"

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah I'm talking our own human ****, they're all running on bull****.