main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi 2.0 - Kyp Durron story index and discussion thread - Challenge #1 is up, with a prize!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kyp_Durron_Index, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Kyp_Durron_Index

Kyp_Durron_Index Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2014
    Great to see all these entries! And it's really cool to see so many Kyp fics on the boards again. Keep 'em coming! :D

Ceillean and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    Thank you so much for revitalizing this! I did not get into fan fiction until after the board move, and I cannot tell you how much time I have spent trying to piece together truncated Kyp stories using the wayback machine!!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I really hope I can get my newest piece up sooner rather than later. I have no net access at the moment, aside from my phone.

It's so tedious typing on this tiny itty bitty screen and don't get me started on auto correct. Instead of Kyp it keeps spelling out Kyoto.

So since this is a discussion thread, I'd like to hear/read your opinions and ideas.
    Remember Kyp during the Jedi Academy days? Quiet, timid, a gentle person. And then came the disaster called Vector Prime and suddenly we have jack ass Kyp.

Some will say that his character changed so much because initially he wasn't supposed to be in the book at all. But I recently read that Salvatore actually changed the character to make him fit Kyp's characteristics.

As a huge Kyp fan, this annoyed me. Why? Because the new Kyp had nothing to do with the Kyp we got to know in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

But since it's canon, here's my question:

What could have happened to him between Jedi Academy (and Darksaber) and Vector Prime for him to change so drastically?

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ceillean -- that is a good!!!! question. =D= =D= I could see him being that way: hard-edged and rather pushy about his opinion once the Vong War got started and he had to push back against the silliness in the Jedi Order and the complete inaction of the NR government. Before that, however, I would just assume it was his being defensive - I'll make a butt-hole of myself so that if you don't like me, there's a reason [face_thinking] So, it could be a reflection of his self-image and/or his expectations of others' reactions. (If you discount the OOC-ness that profic authors are flagrantly guilty of) :p :rolleyes:

Ceillean and Tarsier like this.
  5. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    Just signing in to say "hi!", I'm excited to see all the Kyp love, and once I'm done with the oh so lovely bar exam in a couple of weeks, I'm looking forward to spending some time discussing my EU favorite :)

6. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    *gasp* It's been over ten days and there have been no replies! :p Where is everyone?

I'm at Starbucks and I'm touching up the story for the challenge. :D This was sooooooooooooo much fun to write. :D It's definitely a multi post because I'm already up to 13 pages and the muse is quite chattery. :p

Has anyone else already finished their story?

I agree. I think after what happened with Carida, he feels like he doesn't deserve kindness so he starts acting up so people have more of a reason to hate him.
    Has anyone read the short story with him and Fennig Nabon? I think at one point, he basically asks her to kill him.

In my personal little fanfic world, it's Liz who saves him, so... :p

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Simple Tricks - I love that story! Seriously one of my favorite stories in all of SW. (I also love Fen.) Probably the primary story that I base my charcterization/understanding of Kyp on.

I have a bit of an idea for the challenge, but I don't really expect it to come together. It does, incidentally, involve Fen. I'm looking forward to reading the other stories though!

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I already posted mine LOL but I can always write more Kyp whether it's for the challenge or not. Tarsier or Ceillean - could you tell me more about this "Simple Tricks"? Who wrote it? Sounds like a riveting read. :)

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Guilt trip for Kyp. I honestly don't recall exactly what happens. Fen is looking for her friend Ghitsa, who's pretending to be a Jedi. Kyp is using an alias, Zeth Fost but Fen finds out who he really is and she's not happy about it. It was a great story for Kyp's character

10. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Nyota's Heart - Simple Tricks is in Tales from the New Republic and was written by Chris Cassidy and Tish Eggleston Pahl (I believe all they've written for SW is 3 short stories, including another story in Tales featuring Fen and Shada).

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I couldn't find your story, Jade. Did you link it or am I just blind? :p

Oh, Never mind. Found it. And everyone else's too. I have much to read

13. Durroness

Sep 4, 2002
    So.... I just spent two awful days taking the bar exam. And now I'm seriously ready to plant myself in front of my computer writing and/or curled up with one of the books I've been wanting to read for at least a solid week. And I even have an little idea for the challenge, but I don't know if it'll be ready in time.

So. Ladies. (are we all ladies here?) I'm ready to talk Kyp!

I see an earlier discussion of fancasting, and I've had a few over the years. But Game of Thrones had been releasing season 4 promotional material (incidentally, anyone else a fan?) and the new Daario poster gave me major Kyp feels (And I feel really bad saying that, because, well... Daario. If you've read the books you probably know what I mean, but I digress.) I'm not certain how to link to an image on these new boards, but I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work you guys can teach me :)

[​IMG]

Perhaps not an exact headcannon, but Kyp was the first thing I thought of (once I was done drooling). Thoughts?

And btw, I'm Chelsea. Feel free to call me by name :)

Iverna likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi, Chelsea. I eagerly await your Kyp goody and I know you're glad to have that bear of a bar exam over with [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I like to imagine Kyp with a Derek Morgan kind of intensity (from Criminal Minds) =P~ though of course a different look but the kick-butt mentality. ;)

Ceillean likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_sigh]

Nope. *Plugs ears* Okay, you are now free to drool over Kyp.

Ceillean likes this.
  16. Durroness

Sep 4, 2002
    Haha, aww, Revanfan1 I didn't mean to exclude! [:D] Or give the impression that I'm only a fan because tend to drool over him a little. I'll keep my fangirling to a minimum [face_blush]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That's okay, I don't mind your fangirling. Just beware if you ever bring up Mirax or Tahiri. I'll give you a run for your money. ;)

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Rest assured, I'm sure we have enough drool buckets around. And a drool dumpster so...

Durroness and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. mulberry

Sep 20, 2009
    Is there any way to read Simple Tricks online? It is one thing I have wanted to read but it doesn't seem like it ever made it online anywhere.

20. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    mulberry I don't know of anywhere that Simple Tricks is online, and I'd be a bit surprised if it was online. However, Tales from the New Republic is still in print (at least, it's available on amazon) and I think it's worth spending a few bucks for Simple Tricks and some of the other stories.

21. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Hey guys - so, I've been having major internet problems lately, hence why I haven't been around. Sorry about that!

Because of that, though, and because of the awards and all, I'm going to extend the deadline for the challenge - you've got until March 15 to post your stories and be in with a chance of winning. Although you can of course still post them after that as well, of course. :)

I love that pic, by the way, Durroness! He's got a very Kyp-on-a-mission look to him there. :D

Ceillean, Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  22. Durroness

Sep 4, 2002
    Agreed about Tales of the New Republic, Tarsier. Admittedly it's been at least ten years since I read it, but I remember enjoying it quite well. IMO it's worth the $3-5 I see it going for used on Amazon if you really want to read Simple Tricks, mulberry.

I also see the publishing date as 1999. First off, I had this strange moment of thinking "has it only been like ten years since Bantam was still publishing?" Which then caught up with me and I realized it's 2014... yeah. But second... isn't it interesting that Tales came out the same year as Vector Prime, and yet the Kyps they portray are so drastically different? I know they're portraying him at different points in the timeline, and it was two different publishers, but still... seems so strange to me that those two came out the same year.

And agreed Iverna, he looks like a Kyp about to do something defiant and dangerous, which is, incidentally, my favorite kind of Kyp :D

23. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    As a matter of fact, a text of Tales of the New Republic is available online, through World Tracker [dot] org: do a bit of scrolling HERE and you'll find it.

It is a faulty text, though, as the transference from hard copy to digital content always seems to result in some interesting spellings. I've come across transposed paragraphs as well. But it is enough to give a reader an idea of the story, and saves one being tripped over in the aisles of Barnes and Noble whilst deciding whether or not to purchase.

mulberry likes this.
  24. mulberry

Sep 20, 2009
    Luminous, thank you so much! I was not aware of this resource.

I am totally not getting any more done today I can see. . . .

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006