main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

A few definitely implied that they were just falling in line for demographics' sake (EDIT: Yeah, the comment quoted just above this post)... and to that, I'm saying there can be more to it than that; first there were "I'm a girly-girl and I can't do anything on my own" characters, then there were "I'm so strong, strongy strong strong, I'm a girl wearing grey!" characters, and now we could use a few more "I'm a girly-girl and I'm strong, because why would that ever be in question?" characters. As you said, it's a non-issue as far as the color goes, but perhaps the characters themselves will still reflect that.

But you should probably know that I'll have a daughter about a month from now, so maybe that colors my feelings on the matter (no pun intended)...

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hey, dude, congratulations. That's awesome. :)

It is possible to be a girly-girl, strong, and not like or wear pink though. Long hair or montrals? Jewelry or other decorations? I actually think most of the women in Star Wars are pretty blatantly feminine. Padme in TPM and AOTC and at least some of TCW, Leia in the OT, the female Jedi...I wouldn't characterize any of them as masculine, but they are strong.

On a larger screen that armor does look more red.

3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Well my reasoning to doubt it's canon is that Asajj Ventress is still very much alive?

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The Inquisitor has a cool helmet. Also, Zeb looks freaking amazing. Hope he becomes the people’s favourite. Love the look of the female Mandalorian, too. Yep, I’m really looking forward to Rebels. Much more so than for TCW.

Contessa and Dra--- like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm female and I've never overly cared for pink. Nor do I buy that it's a feminine colour. If they use pink in Rebels good for them. It's simply a colour.

podjazd, Zabrak 3, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I have #0 and #1 but unfortunately my comic book shop stopped getting them! I need to order online because I love the series, this is my dream SW comic.

Contessa and Todd the Jedi like this.
  7. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Congrats!

EDIT:
    When was Ventress ever depicted as dead in either series???

8. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Dudes got a shield, some kind of mace thingy on his back, and the saber blades do indeed appear to spin around the handle.

Well, I think its kinda cool.

podjazd, Zabrak 3, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Point by point

still don't get the Inequisitor's lightsaber. he's got a cool helmet though

Zeb looks neat, I hope he talks

No Hera on that box, that's interesting

Female Mando looks cool, glad they're moving away from the bland Death Watch/Mauldalorian same colored armor for everyone

Ezra's lightsaber could be cool provided he uses it for other things besides a lightsaber, I don't like that he has a lightsaber at all, so we'll see

Lots of wait and see here. We gotta figure out how it's gonna work on screen before passing judgement really.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Mazel tov!

I get how it changes things. I have a two year old daughter, myself, who I am raising largely on my own (it's a whole new world of love!).

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Aw, c'mon. Here I thought we were getting somewhere, and then I saw this. I made light of something. You missed the fact that I was just having some fun. And rather than just admit to that and let it be the end of it, you tried to pass it on to me (talk about blaming others for your own shortcomings!).

Your posting history here demonstrates that you really need to get over yourself.

Oh, I almost forgot: [face_peace]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Awesome, it's an ultrachrome shield. Just like Kar Vastor's from Shatterpoint.
    [​IMG]
    Loving it, too. Either The Jedi Path or Book of Sith―I forget which at the moment―noted that Imperial Inquisitors often used ultrachrome shields during their Jedi hunts to block lightsaber blades. Rebels, man...TCW's antithesis when it comes to continuity.

Completely agreed.

Contessa, Zabrak 3, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What named Inquisitors have we seen that have used a ultrachrome shield?

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Wook says Jedi Path.

And yeah, it is great to see some better continuity with previous works. I thought Dave might be good for this with Rebels. It seems he did his best to get Lucas to go along with things like this in TCW when he could, but he had to recognize that George was the boss and understand when he was facing a losing proposition on those kind of things, too.

15. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Darth Desolous is also a Pau'un Sith who uses a shield.

16. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The leads? How exactly do you know who plays what role or how significant they are? Watched any episodes yet? No? Why not reserve judgement until then.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It almost seems like they're integrating EU ideas in ways that work within the pre-established universe, while also blending visual styles more reminiscent of the OT and early McQuarrie artwork.

So far, I'm liking it. Still need to see the design love and talk about the characters follow through into the show, and still don't like the heavy force user presence. So far though it looks good.

18. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Because the creators said who has what role and how significant they are on starwars.com.
    Because they're being upfront about how much it will suck.

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Dark Lord Tarkas

I recently read an article (published yesterday) conjecturing about the similarities between The Star Wars and what we know thus far of Rebels. Both are based on McQuarrie artwork and at least for the former, borrow heavily from Lucas' initial drafts of Star Wars.

For instance, check out this picture:
    [​IMG]

Kanan could easily be a stand-in for Kane Starkiller, while Ezra could be the stand-in for Kane's son Annikin. Furthermore, it's interesting to note that Kane has one cyborg arm, and based on the pictures I have to wonder whether Kanan's right arm is cybernetic...what if he lost his real arm during his ordeal escaping Order 66? You also have the McQuarrie Chewbacca (who will likely be Zeb) and the two droids, the initial versions of Threepio and Artoo. Chopper is apparently based off R2's old design, and I am certain there will be a protocol droid as well.

What's more, the Sith Knight from The Star Wars is likely what the Inquisitor is based off of. I am certain that once we know more of the other characters we can find more parallels between Rebels and Lucas' older treatments for ANH.

20. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Bahaha... Considering the context, I feel like that peace sign is meant to be facing the other direction... :p

Seriously, I only meant to clarify that I wasn't making a big deal out of it either, and I think you misunderstood me the same as I misunderstood you. It was kind of just a "come on now, don't give people ideas, they'll believe them" thing, and I apologize if it was muddled by the fact that I was trying to approximate an appropriate reply that would make sense whether you were joking or not.

But fair enough, I know where you're coming from... though I really am in a better place than I once was (I'll just say, this baby is our first, but not our first attempt... if that lends any insight to where I was emotionally those months ago). So while this was probably just a miscommunication, I do apologize for my former militant anti-complaint dogma. I'd humbly ask that we can move forward... :)

(and thanks for the well-wishes, everybody!)

21. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    No connection at all? Yeah you could say that, except for that lightsaber he's holding.

Look, we all know the character tropes for this kind of show; Kanan will begin his Jedi ways again and take on Ezra as a padawan. Ezra will learn the ways of the force from what Kanan knows. They'll both help each other grow and learn the Jedi ways. Don't kid yourselves into thinking anything differently.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    They probably will try to become Jedi. Still, their personalities are much different from the PT Jedi. And they're not starting off super powerful. That's an interesting difference.

Still, even the creators have pretty much stated that they'll be learning how to become Jedi over time.

One of my biggest questions is: will Luke Skywalker complete their training if they survive Rebels? I doubt they ever become real Jedi without him, Yoda, or Obi-Wan stepping in.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    If they survive, they will likely join Luke after Jedi, and he will finish their training.
    They know Luke will need other Jedi for the ST, and the time between six, and seven, and this gives them two characters they can use.
    Remember Simon Kinberg, and Pablo Hidalgo are also consulting on the ST, added to that Simon Kinberg
    is also writing one of the spin offs, as well as the Rebels pilot.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Your argument is not logical. First of all, this is not a time period where all of the Jedi have been purged. It is a time period where the remaining Jedi are being purged. So it makes complete sense that there would be stragglers left behind.

Second, if you're going to use the OT statements about Luke, Obi-wan and Yoda being the last of the Jedi as explicit and word-for-word truths, then neither Ezra nor Kanan would contradict that. If you're taking these statements as word-for-word, then you have to concede that the definition of a "Jedi" is beyond the scope of who Ezra and Kanan are. Kanan never reached knighthood. Based on Padme's statement in AOTC, that means that, even as a Padawan, Kanan is "not a Jedi yet." Ezra has never even had any connection to the Jedi Order so he is definitely not a Jedi. The fact that these characters are force-sensitives and use lightsabers does not make them Jedi any more than Asajj Ventress was a Jedi in the Ahsoka arc.

If we take things from a more vague, marketing, general public perspective, then yes, they are Jedi. But then you can't use the absolutist view of Luke as "The Last of the Jedi" as an argument. Because, from a vague, marketing, general public perspective, such a statement can not be taken "word-for-word." The general public just doesn't adhere to quotes so strictly.

So if you're going to adhere to that quote in such a strict manner, then you have to also treat the in-universe treatment of Jedi during that time period (as depicted in the EU) as factual as well. You can't pick and choose what you want to be "defined" and what you don't.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I just skimmed through some of the posts, so forgive me if it was pointed out by someone else.

But the big guy holding the rifle (I don't know if that's supposed to be Chewie or a different character from an earlier draft) actually very much looks to me like one of the characters in one of the Rebels lego sets (don't remember his name). Maybe not a 100% carbon copy, but some of the features such as the face look very similar to me.

EDIT: Zeb

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.