main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    From "Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance:"

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Gross :(

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    It does look a bit like a public toilet, doesn't it.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think she's my favourite of the characters they've revealed.

And I am super impressed/surprised they managed to resist casting Jennifer Hale. :p

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Fair enough. My main point was, in the movies and TV shows to this point, Hera is the first twi'lek female we've seen in a major role who isn't dressed like a skank for no reason. And I suppose my point about Mission being too young to objectify is invalid considering Ashoka's wardobe.

JediMatteus and Starkeiller like this.
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Anyone else get a WEG player character feel from the Ghost crew? We've got:
    • Twi'lek pilot
    • Repressed Jedi
    • Streetsmart Mandalorian
    • Alien tough
    • Kid
    • Surly astromech
    All characters that would be at home in the Rebellion-era EU, circa 1995. Which is not a bad thing, and hopefully intentional (Pablo, I'm looking at you).

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    No, Jennifer Hale will be the female Imperial antagonist a season or so down the line. Or else.

RF - you're right; the whole thing feels like it could be a prequel to Rookies.

Contessa likes this.
  8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Can we not? Just for once? Can we not fall back to outdated moral determinations on female characters and women in general based purely upon their clothing and how much or how little skin they're showing?

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I do think there's reasonable common ground that exists between not making a moral judgment about it and being annoyed that it's become the cliché that it has. I'm all for revealing outfits, but they could stand to be spread out a bit more.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE.

Forget it. Obviously I'm ill-equipped to make any sort of complement on the design of a female character as to how she's dressed. I'd prefer if female character aren't dressed to the preference of a male audience, but that's just me and my stupid opinion. I'll just go back to my corner.

VanishingReality and Sir Chem like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think the difference is between saying "I'm glad they're not pandering/using fanservice" and "I'm going to use morally condemnatory language about this person, particularly by using gendered terms of abuse."

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think your perspective came across how you intended, but in my experience, words like "prostitute" and "skank" don't really lend themselves to reasoned discourse. :p

TheRedBlade likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also to be fair Ben, I used to do stuff like that too (and wholly not intending to sound sexist) but I got a stern talking to by some folks and I know better now. :p

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    plus Aayla, Dia, Daeshara'cor, and Mission Vao all come to mind, just off the top of my head, as female twi'leks who dress "modestly". so, it is not really that unusual.

Point Given and TheRedBlade like this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If it is WEG inspired, we need Herglics!

Valin__Kenobi, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  16. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Speaking of Twi'leks, were Bib Fortuna and Oola intended to be the same species in 1983?

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    so after having actually watched all the videos and also being more awake and coherent I think that if you ignore the obnoxious way they're pitching it it doesn't look bad necessarily and it definitely has a WEG/nineties vibe, which is kinda cool. It's just a shame they have to introduce it to us in so irritating a fashion. "meet the super cool spunky feisty sassy tomboy who is not lame and prissy like some kind of girl" lol go away

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Remember when we all noted how much Kanan looked like Kyle Katarn when he was first revealed? Well, I whitened him with an app on my phone. Check this.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

It's Disney XD, damn it! It's like HD, but X-TREME!!

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some of us liked that French accent so I am disappointed by that

Bitter? No, not at all, just disappointed that the Empires most steadfast supporter don't share his knowledge of the imperial fashion

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Remember when I said that about Arya Stark and you got upset at me? :p

Ulicus and CooperTFN like this.
  23. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    I think what they were going for with the spunky/feisty stuff was [​IMG] rather than '90s "badittude", but yeah, those intros could have been better.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I assumed they were going for.

Maybe Ezra starts out as Bart Simpson and becomes more sensible-sarcastic rather than badass-show off after getting his ass handed to him a few times?

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

They both had a pair of big fleshy head-tails sticking out of the backs of their skulls, so I think it was pretty clear.

Revanfan1 and windu4 like this.