main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013

The person knew too much to early to be false, and it matches what Randy Stradley has said

2. BenKenobi1138

BenKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2013
    newdawn12 In my opinion he knew too much too early to be true. I think he is just making that up, because it doesn't exactly align with what Leland Chee is saying. It seems like an illogical way to handle the situation.

3. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Leland Chee has said that the Story Group controls the new canon, and continuity.

Pablo Hidalgo has said that canon is episodes 1 to 6, TCW and Rebels, and everything going forward.

4. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Actually, I'm choosing to see the positive side to this. For instance, the comic stories dealing with how vader learned the existence of Luke Skywalker are mediocre at best. A reboot would enable a truly gifted writer to come up with an amazing novel. The Thrawn Trilogy could be saved with a few minor tweaks (perhaps a special edition trilogy) and i think it would be great to read about Luke and co in their prime again before they got old and the kids took over.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I prefer to look at this in a positive light as well, parts of the EU are really muddled. A fresh launching point with some fresh ideas and perspectives could do wonders. It's not like the EU has been particularly pleasing to many people lately, some things are working while others are not. This gives Disney are really good opportunity to potentially start off with a clean slate.

Also, agreed about hopefully seeing Luke at a time where he was young again. Besides, I don't like his or his sister's kids, they annoy me.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Agree that a fresh start could do wonders but I regret that some of the characters I came to truly like and care for in EU likely won't ever exist now. I hope Disney treats SW carefully. I haven't liked the tone of EU for years. I used to like Jacen in the beginning (started with the YJK series) but haven't liked the kids or relationships in the EU for awhile. I'm almost burned out on SW altogether.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This is why Disney are planning to release spin-offs movies (for TV) every year or two. Clearly, they are establishing a new cannon. I always thought the entire post-RoTJ universe would be ditched, but everything could be ditched now.

Rebels is establishing the birth of the Rebel Alliance and this will probably mean TFU is the first to suffer.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was still referenced in the Star Wars Fact File reboot (timeline), that began coming out earlier this year- but that might be because the timeline was written before the Disney announcement, even if the magazine was published very recently.

9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    So here are my options:
    a) Come up with a complicated recto not keep old stories I like but implement the new ones somehow.
    b) Completely disregard new EU rest cons, but will eventually run out of content.
    c) Disregard old EU and have the new stuff instead.

I'll probably go with the second option, maybe the first, and I doubt the third will have enough content anyway to work.

10. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I'm thinking of just taking a page out of star trek and treating them as alternate universes. I think I can live with that.

VanishingReality likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Korriban is now Morriband.

So, answer to the title of this thread is yes.

VanishingReality likes this.
  12. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I believe something that has been overlooked in all this is, we have no definitive info to go on. Leland Chee's comment about doing away with the multi tiered canon system is ambiguous. What does that mean? He doesn't clarify. Secondly, since Lucas himself and Disney are thoroughly ignorant of the EU (though making use of it when they get lazy) enough so that some of it will most likely escape their notice and be salvageable. However, when eps 7, 8 and 9 come out; I think we will be seeing a civil war among star wars fans that will dwarf the one that started in 1999. There will be those who grew up with the post episode VI novels that will simply regard the ST as non-canon. Since they didn't grow up with it, but did grow up with novels. Similar to the division the PT caused. Post episode IX spin-off movies, I would be weary of these. Though Eps 7,8 and 9 damage to continuity might be localized, the spin-offs on the other will hand will jump all over the timeline wrecking the most havoc, as they will follow no continuity. I think these should be seen for what they represent; a cheap grab at $50 mill a pop, lacking in any creativity, artistry and more importantly continuity.

13. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    What someone who has a twitter account needs to do is ask Leland Chee specifically, are there any Star Wars books or video games that are not canon? :rolleyes:

14. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    To me the EU is canon even though 'technically' its not. Ultimately if they decide to do away with, remake, or only use parts of EU I'm going to chose to treat them as two separate entities.

15. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Hopefully, Disney won't take old EU materials such as the Clone Wars multimedia project novels and comics out of print. As long as old EU materials are still available, we can ignore changes to official canon that conflict with our personal canon.

16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    With DH losing the comics license their's a good chance those comics will go out of print, for a long time.

17. Bo916

Bo916 Jedi Knight

Jan 19, 2006
    I own 115 of the Star Wars novels, including compendiums and essential guides. I own numerous games and have probably put nearly $3000 into this "Universe". Mostly because, despite some conflicts, it is mostly cohesive, and it is expansive enough to spawn all these works. Unlike say Star Trek where all books are completely non-canon, and do nothing to truly continue the story of the characters.

Even in the EU, when conflict arose out of discrepencies between the trilogies, the Darth Bane books were created to retcon and explain these (and were arguably some of the best works. Plagueis too helps to make sense of Episode 1 and tie past present and future all together). If we're just gonna throw this all away and say "it doesn't count" well then i've got a giant bookshelf filled with 15 years of my life which "didn't count".

My bias though prevented me from watching Clone Wars initially, because canon. Once I got past that though, I found it was the best star wars there was. Luckily it didn't damage the EU too heavily. The Mandalore stuff sorted itself out in the end.

So abandoning the EU means I get to enjoy new star wars, but it also means i can't go back and enjoy old star wars (which i have been such a part of the fandom) . I can't tell my child about Jacen, the hero of the Vong war.

My hope is that if we get an entirely new timeline, that an EU story may be created which serves as a retcon and bridge between universes. Basically change the EU to the AU. Have someone or something do something that changes the past, at the end of ROTJ that spawns an entirely new timeline, without making the existing one irrelevant.

Caedus with his tampering of time would have been the best candidate for this, but the story has progressed beyond him as well now

18. Renasko

Renasko Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2007
    I think it is more to do with user discretion. While certain events may no longer be regarded canon, I will still consider them part of the rich tapestry that is the SW universe. 'EU' or not, or whatever they're now going to call it.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I know how that feels - though I haven't been collecting seriously as long - I've collected a lot.

20. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm not very familiar with the EU, I've only read articles in Wookiepedia, played the TFU games and a few others, and read a few comics, so it doesn't affect me (though I wished for TFU to remain canon...). It's actually a plus for me, since I want to know the full story of a franchise, and I'd never manage to read all the Star Wars books & comics. But I can see why the EU fans would be angry.

TFU takes place 2 years before Ep. IV, and the symbol of the rebel alliance was decided then (which was the symbol of Galen Marek's/Starkiller's family). Rebels takes place 5 years before Ep. IV (aka 3 years before TFU), and the rebel alliance symbol is already around. And since Rebels is going to show us how the rebel alliance was formed, which is also what TFU showed us, it's safe to assume that it's non-canon.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One approach is to decanonize only the specifically contradicted bits. Like the Alliance symbol.

22. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    That's at least how things are for now. I would say that it's very likely though that we will see more contradictions when it begins, since Rebels is 3 years before TFU, and both of them show the origins of the alliance. But who knows, maybe they will retcon some things and fit them both together. But maybe not...

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I hope not. TFU story is mediocre at best as it is full of inconsistencies that don't make much sense.

TFU is fun game in first hour, but then gets boring.

24. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    The EU: what are your feelings about its current state (in regards to retcon), and the lengths that it should be preserved to. For instance, I feel that the current EU (defined as all video games, books, etc.) is perfectly fine, and should not be retconned by Episode VII. Also, feel free to discuss any canon issues within this thread. "Let the 12419th Canon Games begin".

BARDAN EDIT: merged with previous EU/Disney/Canon discussion

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    MOD Note: Moved to EU Community from SWC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.