main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    How about you get off your soapbox long enough to read the posts more carefully before spouting that kind of nonsense?

The question was asked what we thought of the article, and speaking for myself, I said that I saw nothing to be upset about. Why? Because there is nothing different about Hasbro's treatment of the Hera and Sabine figures than the way they have handled countless figures (of all sexes and races), in the past.

The figures in question are being produced. They were not unveiled at the same time as the rest. Between Toy Fair and the premier of Rebels, Hasbro will have many other events where they will be expected to showcase new product. As I said, Hasbro does this kind of thing all the time, with characters of both sexes, humans, aliens, franchise stars and background characters alike. It is 100% in keeping with their standard handling of the SW license. They spotlight some figures, tease others, and, as in this case, only hint at yet others that will be on their way. To put things bluntly, they cannot afford to blow their wad all at once.

I suspect that the idea of not wanting to lead with any female figures was not a consideration. Just for a recent example of their habits, Hasbro was under intense pressure from the fan base last summer after abandoning 2010-2012s wildly popular The Vintage Collection, a terrible bottlenecking of new figures at retail, and the later cancellation of an announced Droid Factory line. They were unveiling a brand new 3.75" line ("The Black Series"), a line which they could not afford to see miss. If female figures were seen as anathema by the company, this most surely would have been the time to eschew female characters in their vitally important first wave. But is this what occurred? Not at all. One of the first figures they unveiled in showcasing the line was a terrific Episode II version of Padme. This is only the latest example. Based upon what I read, I suspect that the author of the article in question was not aware of Hasbro's history and neglected to pursue due-diligence before penning the article.

Gender-equality issues are important. In this particular case, I read the basis of the argument presented within the article in question as unfounded. This is simply my opinion on the matter. The fact that you do not share my opinion is fine.

But that said, where you are mistaken is in your knee-jerk reaction and decision to group everyone with a differing view than your own together, and then attribute false motivations to "the guys," in defiance of all available evidence. I don't speak for anybody else, have never claimed to, and I certainly didn't "decide" that "the girls" (as you saw fit to put it) have "nothing to be upset about."

But then, I try not to carelessly lump people together like that (but that's clearly not a concern we share). Talk about "passing judgment." Give me a break.

2. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, when they first announced Rebels I immediately thought of the Onderon arc (one of my favorite arcs) and wondered would Rebels be anything like it.

Since most of the same people are working on Rebels I imagine we'll at least some elements from it. And Greg Weisman said that the "series is really about the founding of the Rebel Alliance."

Embomania likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Man I was weird. When I was a little girl and keeping in mind this was in the 90s. I never limited myself to the pink or yellow rangers. It wasn't either weren't ass kicking or cool role models. I related to Billy so I always pretended to be the blue ranger on the playground. Padme has never been one of my favorite characters. I don't hate her in the movies she's just kind of boring when compared to Leia. I do find her character to be pretty tragic however.

Anyways, action figures smaction figures, I don't care what order they come out in. I just care how they are going to grow beyond the safe cookie-cutter molds they seem to be. Now they don't have to break it very far to be good so long as they are written well and give me some ability to relate to them. Generally speaking that something Weisman is good at. Imagine if he wrote the Onderon arc? Oh wait...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    On the topic of action figures, let me say this. We may be getting Hera and Sabine later on, but at least we're getting them. The new TMNT cartoon has been on 2 years already and still there's no Karai figure. Now that is what pisses me off. Not this so much, especially since we are getting them.

Though let me say this, if Sabine's helmet isn't removable I'll be seriously peeved. If she has the helmet at all.

Contessa likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Au contraire - you can't state such things publicly and expect immunity from the opinion of others. I think it's extremely sad that someone would possibly think that Star Wars "sets female characters back centuries". Your clear inference is that it's sexist and ergo impacts on how women are perceived yes? Indeed, I think holding that kind of view is far more damaging than what is purported to be offensive/regressive about Star Was. Shame on those who trivialise such real life issues by soapboxing about Padme Amidala... a strong female character, in a film that clearly try's to portray strong female characters.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seerow : Leia was the first good female role model in popular media that my generation got. Lucas actually got flack for writing her the way he did; there was commentary that she should have been more gracious to her rescuers. I never thought so; even as a kid; I thought it was great that she called them on their lack of planning.

I found Luke boring as hell and I wanted Han to be my boyfriend so yeah...I wanted to be Leia. [face_laugh]

I didn't watch kids play on the playground post-TPM so I don't know if any girls played Padme, but she was a great, strong character in TPM and AOTC. She kicked ass and took names. I loved her for it. She was pretty boring in TCW, and ROTS wussified her so much that it's criminal.

I have watched plenty of TCW era kids play Star Wars on the playground. Kids play Ahsoka pretty regularly, although I've never seen anyone fight over who gets to play her the way we fought over who gets to play Leia. I've never seen any kid want to play Padme.

And my kids always want to play Sith Lords. :p

As far as action figures, agreed, who cares, I stopped buying them years ago anyway.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was a kid when most of the PT came out. I was the gal generation they were selling Padme to.

I hated Padme. She was alright in TPM, but she had the personality of a Vulcan. By AOTC she was just plain boring. So me and my sister had Zam Wessel actions figures, and Zam was actually a funny character in the comics and videogames so she had a real personality. We never had a Padme action figure because... she was a boring senator? I mean I dunno, what's interesting about Padme? She has no hobbies besides talking about her former BFs and sweet nothings with her current BF. Bleh.

And then she got choked by her husband. Whoopdefriggindo.

I wish I was the generation of the Rebels agegroup. These actually look like cool characters. None of this stuffy lovy-dovy senator BS.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Zam was the first AOTC action figure that I bought.

AOTC Padme redeemed herself for me by using her teeth to open her handcuffs and get "on top of things" on Geonosis, but I hear you. Thinking about it now, her other great scene in that movie actually got deleted, the one when she walks into the Senate chambers as Palpatine is announcing her death and gives the Senators a "what the hell is wrong with you?" type speech.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Because she was often in control. She showed she could fire a blaster/pistol as well as use her brains. She needed less physical 'help' than Anakin and Obi-Wan. She could be Queen of a planet, command respect in the senate, have a strong moral compass but still fall in love and be feminine I.e. she didn't have to act like a man. She's an atypical character in a genre that more often that not portrays women as victims or mere baubles of male characters.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Padme was an awful, awful, awful character IMO. And even when she is doing something, she does it in the most boring or passive way - TPM excluded.

But with TPM, I am in 100% agreement with @Barriss_Coffee's assessment of her Vulcan personality.

I'm mixed on feelings about the Delegation of 2000 scenes from ROTS, because while they are key to establishing that there is quite a bit of opposition to Palpatine within the senate. It's also not hard to imagine that Palpatine could become dictator when his biggest opposition is a petition saying "why u make us sad? Please stop. :("

She should have grabbed the bull by the horns and been given her "what the hell is wrong with all of you?!" speeches in regards to continuing to give Palpatine powers. She should have been the person unafraid to speak her mind and oppose Palpatine. Not "well... gee.. here's a petition... can you please stop what you're doing?"

And the idea never occurred to me until @anakinfansince1983's post about Padme kicking Anakin in the balls on Mustafar. But I could have even appreciated a scene in which she comes off her ship, concealing a blaster, not wanting to believe that Anakin is capable of what Obi-Wan told her he had done, but that when he pretty much confirms it and starts talking about setting himself up as dictator, she pulls out her blaster and tries to shoot him, provoking him to choke her and then the comment to Obi-Wan about how he had turned her against him.

She could have done it with tears in her eyes, or done the cliched "I'm sorry..." before pulling it out and trying to shoot him, but it would have redeemed her in my eyes, in that she put no man before the ideals that she lived for. And that he was no longer the man that she fell in love with.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    =D=

Well said.

I thought about mentioning the Delegation of 2000 scenes as an addition that would improve her ROTS character and I realized that, no, they wouldn't, because the Senators were doing as you said. "Now now Palpatine, you've turned our smiles upside down." LOL wut?

And TPM Padme would have done as you said. And it would have been awesome. That Padme knew how and when to wield a blaster. If ROTS Padme had been in TPM, she would have gone into ugly snot-producing sobs and told Gunray he was breaking her heart.

12. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Padme was merely a story element put in to have Anakin's kids. That's why everything else about her seemed forced because the only pre 1994 development she had was that she married Anakin Skywalker and she had twins.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Control? You call that control? 90% of the time she doesn't have the slightest clue what is going on.

Example ROTS. Just because the senators applaud they're all allies of the Emperor and enemies of democracy? Doesn't this girl know the slightest thing about politics? Hint: politicians lie.

And that's only one example.

Another would be using Jar-Jar as replacement.

The girl is as dumb as a brick and still put into position of power solely because of ... what? Her purity? Because she sure as hell doesn't have any brains. Padmé Amidala, dumbest character in SW.

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Jar Jar was a failed attempt at trying to provide comic relief in Ep. I. They couldn't just act like he never existed though so they had to find someplace for him. And a place he could be used where he wouldn't see much screen time was where they put him.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She was certainly nothing but a womb on legs in ROTS, and maybe that's all Lucas ever intended the character to be.

But that's pathetic characterization, especially in a post-1955 world. And I had higher hopes for her after TPM.

TaradosGon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That's a very odd way of looking at things... Do you think the male characters were more clued up? Perhaps you'd prefer it if Padme had been a waitress or topless dancer as opposed to a politician? Don't worry, I'm sure JJ will resurrect the nubile damsel in distress type caricature of a female we saw in Star Trek... the type that's either nagging at the men or getting their clothes off for the men. That should keep people happy hey...

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

After seeing she was a 14 year old elected queen I didn't have any high hopes for her whatsoever.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, as a senator, the perfect place for him. Omigosh.

Darth PJ

You're right that pretty much everyone was an idiot safe some bad guys, but at least the male protagonists occasionally had moments of clarity. Padmé ... not so much.

Your strawman I don't care about.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    darkchrono : LOL, I did think that was stupid but I blamed the people of Naboo for it rather than Padme.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's how Padmé could have been (minus the age):

[​IMG]

But noooo...

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Unlike Star Trek, Star Wars does have a poor record of strong female protagonists and depicting them as damsels in distress.

Darthmaul208 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I think it was just a sign of how forced Padme was into the story because Lucas needed someone to have Anakin's kid. Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine (which are the other four most important characters in the PT) had all been around since the late 70's/early '80's so Lucas had plenty of time to think about how to fit them into the story. Padme most likely didn't receive any significant development at all until the mid '90's when Lucas sat down to write the PT. And a long with Padme's character that needed development a hundred other things needed development as well during that short few year period.

23. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It's was said that Erza discovers the Holocron, which is apparently wanted by the Inquisitor. No idea why, but I'm assuming into contains ancient Jedi knowledge or something.

25. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @DanielUK when? have I missed something!
    funny enough I actually met someone called Ezra at my school yesterday! I thought it was a made up name.