main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This thread is for the purposes of discussing diversity-related issues. The recent blow-up in the Sabine thread was quite problematic and I found @anakinfansince1983's suggestion of a diversity thread practical. While this thread is, again, for the purposes of diversity, bear in mind that this thread will be very closely patrolled. Here at our former LACWAC we have a diverse posting body and any post deemed deragatory will be dealt with as such. Here's to a thoughtful, productive conversation on an important issue. with a drink or two if you are legal.

[​IMG]

2. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Who's everybody's favourite Diversity member? Mine's Ashley.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been legal since before some of you were born and I'll be doing my share. *clinks glass*

OK, maybe not this early... :p

Anyway, thanks for starting this. I'm glad to see that Rebels seems to have a diverse cast both regarding POCs and non-human species. I wonder if Imperial prejudice against non-humans will come into play with a crew that is manned by a Twi'lek and features a Lasat.

4. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Figured this conversation could be continued here as well.

To be fair, there is one other thing to consider here: Besides the issue of offering a strong, diverse female character base for young girls to identify with, there's another factor that could be at work, and that's the crew allowing the marketing department to target boys just like they always do, and once they're hooked, offering up the male characters as role models who are respectful of the women around them. Yes, the marketing strategy is regrettable, but thankfully the demographic for whom it matters most (that is, young kids) probably don't pay quite as much attention to what order the videos or figures come out in and are mostly just interested in seeing the show.

Disney marketing is a nightmare in this area---see the whole Merida princess doll debacle---but it's still possible for socially-conscious showrunners to undermine that marketing stuff with bait and switch tactics like this.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought about bringing the action figure discussion into my post.

I can spot sexism pretty quickly but for me to call Disney "sexist," it's going to take a lot more than the order that videos or action figures are introduced.

Quite frankly, in the realm of women's equality and fair depiction in the media, we have bigger fish to fry.

Disney should make sure that the women in Star Wars are strong, independent, self-sufficient, and respected by the men around them, rather than ensuring that they sell a lot of action figures. With the disgustingly notable exception of Padme in ROTS, Star Wars has always depicted women this way.

If Disney backslides by depicting female characters who behave like Willie Scott in Temple of Doom, or any of the princesses in its "classic" movies, I'll be the first to call sexism.

But even recent Disney Princess heroines have been strong and independent. I'm not worried.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So. Proud. Right now.

podjazd, Gamiel, Contessa and 9 others like this.
  7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I really think this is a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" scenario with the marketing people. I mean, they made up Merida and put her in the dress that she specifically reviled in the movie because it sold better that way... but they're also the parent company of the people who made the movie to begin with, so it's obviously a tradeoff. I found a lot of flaws with Frozen---seemed more like hitting you over the head with a message than a sincere cinematic effort, to me---but it came from a decent place.

I don't think it's wrong to take the time to call out this marketing strategy as wrong... but Disney knows what they're doing when they hire socially-conscious progressives to write their stuff, but get brutally-frank traditionalists to sell it. I just don't think there's any getting around the fact that, at its core, big business is the enemy of social consciousness. I just have to throw my lot in with the progressive/creative side and hope for the best.

Contessa and CooperTFN like this.
  8. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Cheers to this thread! :)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My children are boys and as such I never paid attention to the dolls. In fact, at Christmas I went to Target to get clothes for my niece's American Girl doll and ended up having to ask what an American Girl doll looks like and what they wear.

Maybe Disney does need to hire marketers who aren't stuck in the 50s but character portrayal remains my bigger concern.

10. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I love that Rebels will be incorporating a more diverse leading cast.

I just love it.

I want even more diversity!

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I wonder if they'll introduce a LBGT character in the series at some point?

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes please.

And without making a big deal out of it. Just show them living together and having some domestic scene like Anakin and Padme in "Evil Plans"--obviously a couple but still G-rated.

13. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly my thoughts... Though hopefully better written. Honestly, I think it'd be cool to have one of the main characters be pansexual or something.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That's the kicker for me. There's no need for a massive advertising campaign shouting from the hilltops, "We've included a gay character in Star Wars! Aren't we awesome?"

Just write a strong, memorable character, with good development, and maybe they also happen to be gay. Once gay characters can just be present without massive fanfare, then we'll know society has reached acceptance.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Done right, it could work..... However.....

You could also get this....

[​IMG]

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We need a Captain Jack Harkness type character from Doctor Who in Rebels or Star Wars period.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Pfft.

I wanna see two burly dudes going at it.

HARD.

Full tongue.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Captain Jack can give you that, CT, he is a universal try-sexual after all.

19. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I want Neil Patrick Harris and George Takei to show up. Not characters played by them, but literally NPH and Takei the people in the Star Wars universe.

Edit: Anderson Cooper too.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Male, female, alien, robot, doesn't matter to him.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure Takei was on The Big Bang Theory once.

It could happen.

Heero_Yuy and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Telling Howard not to make the move on Bernadette.

23. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Tssss why's he trying so hard? He should just let things happen naturally or sumtin'! Tssss

/Chip

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Suppose I should clarify that I enjoyed Jack as a character in Doc Who, didn't like what was done with him in Torchwood, but can't see a version of him ever working in a kids US show without..... Well, a large turd encounters a fan and.....

Would be interesting to see it happen - a headline of a Fox presenter collapsing in apoplexy would make it worthwhile in itself.

You're misreading the gag - it's that he'll try it on with anything and few can resist his charming advances!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    As one of that group, PLEASE. And not forced, either.

Contessa likes this.