main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Trenchcoats Are Back, Baby: The Matrix Resurrections

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Mar 1, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's a matter of opinion that the other two films sucked.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Really? Here I thought I was establishing canon.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Matrix: I loved it.
    Reloaded: If not for its post production problems, if it's special effects had been perfect, I might have liked it more than the first.
    Revolutions: I sort of like it enough to watch it when nothing is on but my list of things I did not like is greater than the other two combined.

Overall, I would most certainly go see another trilogy, unless the first sucked bad.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    DON'T TEMPT ME!!

I want this soooo bad. But I'm sure its just another hoax.

VadersLaMent and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Tom brings up an excellent point.

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The Matrix: Loved it
    Reloaded: Liked it
    Revolutions: Hated it so much the hate reached back in time and made me hate the first two. And forward in time to make sure I would hate any reboot/sequel/prequel. Haty haty haty hate.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I just pretend the sequels don't exist. Makes life easier. Though I do enjoy the highway chase in reloaded.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    To be fair, sci-fi author Michael Moorcock accused Morrison of outright stealing stuff for some of his Invisibles work:
    ^from Wikipedia's Gideon Stargrave entry

I've not read either The Invisibles or Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius stories so I don't know how fair Moorcock was being in his accusations, or how close The Matrix was to The Invisibles; I was stunned by the , er, coincidence that the movie featured a virtual world called "The Matrix" where willpower could alter reality and dying there would lead to dying in the real world, while the 1976 Doctor Who story The Deadly Assassin featured a virtual world called "The Matrix" where willpower could alter reality and dying there would lead to dying in the real world.

Also I think the sequels kinda suck.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've read both. Gideon Stargrave IS a Jerry Cornellius pastiche... but so is Matt Fraction's Casanova and a thousand other derivations. I don't know exactly what irked Moorcock so much about Morrison's version, considering he had been inciting everyone to write their own Cornellius stories. I'm sure there's a subtle difference betweeen their approaches that I can't see but, no matter what, he's completely in his rights to be angry. It's hiscreation, after all. I bet Morrison was more than bit confused by the reaction, though.

Now, The Matrix and The Invisibles... The first volume of The Invisibles is a about a rebellious kid being suddenly chased by strange and omnipotent agents but luckily being saved by a resistance team led by a very charismatic bald man that is convinced he's some kind of Messiah. They also show him that the real world is just an illusion. The kid struggles with his apparent destiny until the bald man is kidnapped. He then manages to save him and has a climactic fight against one of the evil agents, becoming the first person in history to destroy one and being accepted as the Chosen One by his companions. He then says there's a lot more to do.

The only thing the Wachowski siblings changed was the aesthetics, giving the same storyline a cyberpunk and anime face lift. It's like saying Apocalypse Now was influenced by Heart of Darkness.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Wow, sounds horribly close. And this would explain why the first film is so much better (imo) than the next two, which I feel bungle the concept created in the original film.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also, you should read The Invisibles, it's really good.

Frank T. and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I don't think they sucked at all. They had some brilliantly executed set-piece action sequences. The freeway chase in particular was breathtaking.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  14. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Both sequels had insane action. The breech of Zion with all those sentinels was crazy.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Agreed. The Battle of Zion was jaw dropping.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The burly brawl in Reloaded is so laughably over-done and fake that it almost takes me out of enjoying the rest of the movie. It does get a little better as it progresses. I enjoyed Revolutions immensely, but I've only seen it once.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But... but... it had no central characters in it!!! Why am I supposed to care about a seventeen minute sequence with no central characters??? I'm a focus group and we get distracted by that kind of stuff!

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

That's not really true though. They inter-cut Morpheus and Niobe trying to get back to Zion with Commander Locke and Captain Mifune trying to hold the dock and contain the Sentinels.

19. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    @Arwan_Fenn And your point is what? I just said I liked the action scenes. So what if the main characters aren't in it for 17 minutes? I don't. It doesn't take away from the action scenes themselves being good to me.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not really a focus group.

21. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    It doesn't make a difference either way.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I did think it was hilarious how in Revolutions that one guy with the luchadore outfit is shooting at Morpheus and Trinity and then decides to jump on the ceiling for no particular reason.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    If you could jump on the ceiling, wouldn't you do it for no particular reason?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    my problem with the last two films, and especially the third film, is that so much of the acting and dialogue is, like, bad tv movie-level. i really liked the ideas and the whole mythology, but they weren't able to set them in a fully fleshed-out, "round" drama. also, i didn't mind the christian themes, heavy-handed as they were.