main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I read a minute to minute summary. It looks like it accomplished nothing. Nye was not wrong of course. But when you are ham you want this sort of thing to happen so you can let all your marks hear you say how much you are into God and science is this thing that non-God people hijacked because they don't include God and God God God all the time.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You know, when Pat Robertson of all people is telling you to shut up about creationism.... maybe it's a sign that you should, you know, shut up.

Arawn_Fenn and Ghost like this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So I'm convinced we're stuck in a 1 year, three month loop.

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    So I'm convinced we're stuck in a 1 year, three month loop.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  10. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I used to believe in the whole JS Mill absolute freedom of speech solves everything by illuminating wrong opinion thing. I even thought that the reason holocaust denial is far more prevalent in continental Europe than it is here in the UK is down to the fact that we didn't ban it, rather it was openly debated during the Irving libel case, in which all of his arguments were torn to shreds by a series of experts and a huge volume of evidence both in court and in the media. Holocaust denial was afterwards seen as ridiculous rather than flourishing in dark corners where it wasn't challenged.

Now I just think we're facing a new breed of superhuman impervious to logic, empirical evidence and plain common sense. In a decade, I fully expect to see Hitler rubbing shoulders with Julius Caesar, Heracles and Robin Hood on Xena, Warrior Princess. Part of the all-history-and-mythology-and-semi-hot-lesbians-and-dragons-not-dinosaurs-that-all-happened-at-the-same-time-but-they-were-all-alien-astronauts-really that now provides the framework of understanding where we come from.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Beezel made a thread about it, so I'm all set!

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    http://bicepkeck.org/b2_respap_arxiv_v1.pdf

And there you have it, folks. 5.9 sigma certainty for gravitational waves. Evidence for an inflationary period near the beginning of the universe. If this holds, a lot of problems will be solved, including the flatness and horizon problems.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh baby. Brace yourselves.

[​IMG]

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Explain to me why I should care about this and why physicists think I should care. To me it seems like esoteric minutiae that provides more evidence for things that were already well-accepted. What happens if it's discovered that, like, the universe is a "hologram" or something? Something big enough that laypeople will give a damn? Will Ramza's brain literally explode? :p

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You're right, if this doesn't have an immediate and tangible advantage to our current everyday lives, we'll have added to the body of scientific knowledge for nothing.

Saintheart likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't mean that. I mean, I can't pretend to understand it fully, but it adds to the mountain of evidence we already have for the Big Bang and the early universe and General Relativity, right? I'd be just as ho-hum about an announcement in biology that they found more evidence that Darwin was on to something.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Good point. Questioning why something should get billing in major newspapers is the same thing as doubting whether the project should have been undertaken at all.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's sort of the last big, known fish that still had to be fried for GR in terms of predictions. If everything pans out, it's mostly going to verify some baseline assumptions for lots of theoretical types. So, yeah, I guess it is understandable that it would be hard to care about this from the lay perspective, but there are some very good theories that need these things to exist.

I literally had no idea that was the case, so I initially read Guy's comment as the latter. I perennially don't understand what, sciencewise, does and does not make the news, though.

Edit: And I do apologize for that misreading, incidentally.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) what it shows evidence of is cosmic inflation, which is what comes after the big bang. Like I said in my previous post, it solves various different problems: flatness, etc.

2) this is the first detection of gravitational waves ever.

3) you don't really need to care about this. No one forced you to read up on this.

Jabba-wocky: who mentioned front page billing? What is your problem?

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Along with the aforementioned front-page news treatment, I was prompted by seeing a heavily-upvoted thread at the top of reddit with comments acting as though we solved hunger and cured HIV and brought Michael Jackson back to life. :p I was genuinely wondering what the big deal was.