main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Incredibles 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This story was a bit buried by the "Star Wars set 30 years from end of ROTJ" news from Disney, but in my view it's far more important. Forget the endless mediocrity from DC/Marvel, forget the dying, atrophied Star Wars brand: The Incredibles has the distinction of being far and away the finest superhero movie ever made. Also, it remains to date the greatest feature length animated movie of the CG era.

It doesn't need a sequel, but I hope at the very least Brad Bird will return as writer/director. It's unlikely to be much good without him.

Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_whistling]

[​IMG]

Having said that, The Incredlibles was excellent in the genre, because it was wholly original. So, take my money.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Liked the first one

4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    High damn time!

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Did not enjoy the first one in the slightest. Will pass on sequel.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Apparently Brad Bird's involvement was confirmed during the conference call. So I think it's safe to get hyped.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not that I'm not going to look forward to this, but can Pixar stop being the land of sequels and get back to original stories?

Yes, Toy Story 2 & 3 were tremendous.
    But Cars 2 was even more meh-mediocre than the fist, and while Monsters University was fun and enjoyable, Pixar has a higher standard.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No longer. Pixar is being beaten by everyone now, even non Pixar Disney, both in terms of aesthetic quality and commercial success. Disney will dump it within 2-3 years.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The first movie is Incredibly overrated. I think it's the superhero element. People eat that **** up. It's good, but at least half the other Pixar films are better.

yankee8255 and EHT like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually we were already talking about this in the Disney movies thread. I'll merge later.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I think the main reason some people mistakenly believe this is that so many of the GG feature films since have copied elements of ithe Incredibles style and aesthetic mission that it's become almost impossible now to see just how good and original Incredibles was when it was released and how fully integrated its sensibilities are in almost all animated releases.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh, I saw it around its original release and I thought the same thing at the time. Well, except that some future Pixar offerings were superior, of course.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm not saying you're wrong to think that, I'm just saying that apparently every cartoon animator, producer, director, etc. on the planet disagrees with you, since nearly every CG feature film released since about 2006 or so seems to owe so much to the Incredibles. It's the Die Hard/Star Wars of the genre in terms of the scope of its influence.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Do you have specific examples of its pervasive influence?

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    If Brad Bird is on board we know we're going to get something special. He was my top pick for Star Wars before JJ was announced. His track record is flawless to me. I know he's only done 1 live action movie(which was pretty amazing for a Tom Cruise movie), but his animated films are some of the best in the genre. The Iron Giant is my second favourite movie of all time and the Incredibles is in my top 3 animated movies, so I'm damn excited about this.
    Also, he must really have a good idea for this one to decide to jump back in 10 years later. Right now we're living in the golden age of superhero movies, so they'll have lots to take from.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just look at the pre and post Incredibles movies and the depiction of human characters. The Incredibles changed that game entirely.

17. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Yeah, which is one of the reasons so many people were disappointed with Cars. It seemed like a step backwards. Had it came out before the Incredibles I'm sure it wouldn't have had such a bad rap

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

No. [face_shame_on_you]

Just. no. [face_shame_on_you]

No. [face_shame_on_you]

No. [face_shame_on_you]

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More Edna Mode!

Sarge likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this one is incredibly dark and grim surrounding the horrific deaths of Mr. Incredible's entire family.

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    First one was OK but nothing great. In light of Marvel's recent cinematic universe Pixar will have to come up with something really special to wow today's audiences.

22. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sometimes I think people are entitled to their own opinions. Then they say something stupid like, "I don't like Star Wars" or "I don't like The Incredibles" or "I don't like pizza" or "I don't like chocolate" and then I know I am just dealing with an insane person.

Togruta, Darth_Omega, DAR and 3 others like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Before Incredibles there were major releases rendered entirely in CGI like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within that tried to play up a sense of realism, and consequently had humans with normal emotional reactions operating under easily recognizable laws of physics, albeit in a somewhat fantastical futuristic environment. However, after this ground-breaking Pixar release, we saw films like Avatar that tried to play up a sense of realism, and consequently had humans with normal emotional reactions operating under easily recognizable laws of physics, albeit in a somewhat fantastical futuristic environment. Now I can really appreciate the impact of this film.

Oh, wait.

jp-30 likes this.