main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLastMandal0rian

TheLastMandal0rian Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2014
    From what I hear those arcs aren't even considered mediocre writing when compared to Thrawn, NJO, Bane and many of the other books written between IV-VI. If that is all that would be put aside I guess I could live with it, although my main concern is the new cannon that will come from all the novels they will be writing after the new trilogy. With Disney acquiring SW from Lukas and the previous writers who cared for this world I fear that money and not the fans will be primary motive for the books especially if they target the younger audience like they did with Ep. 1-3.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    All I can recommend is that you read it yourself and come to your own conclusions.

I for one love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheLastMandal0rian

Mar 24, 2014

Your right, I meant to put that in my post. I guess that came off a little arrogant since I haven't read all the series and others have. I guess the only thing I wonder is, "if" I take the time and money to read all the post NJO books will it be a waste of time? Obviously nothing has been decided yet in regards to the cannon but like you guys are saying if the timeline for the new series does stay the same there's a good chance they could cut out some of the books.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am incapable of recommending the post-NJO, because I can't stand the direction it took the universe. Sinrebirth is one of the very few people around here who actually likes the post-NJO, in addition to people who started on the novels with the post-NJO.

Davak24 and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The Unifying Force is the last novel with Jacen in it. The Joiner King introduced a new character with the same name.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup. Because Caedus came back from the five year trip; Lumiya simply gave him a name.

I am about 99% sure that the 35 ABY to 45 ABY era will be void, but that's survivable considering the events that occurred.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You won't see me cry if anything beyond the NJO books gets flushed down the toilet. And really after that the galaxy just seemed to get caught in one war or bad skirmish after another. It could lead to a society that only knew war and peace would be a foreign concept.and the eventual destruction of said society.

And really Luke and Mara stopped acting like responsible parents to their son. THAT is a pet peeve of mine. YOU are his parents and he is thirteen! If you don't like how he is acting abduct him, have someone take the three of you somewhere and dump you on some planet and spend time together. Come to think of it if they didn't like what Jacen was teaching Ben why didn't they cut the ties when Ben was nine/ten?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    If Denning had his way, the GFFA would end up going the way of Alderaan.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Mara wouldn't allow Luke to do it. Jacen was getting Ben to respond to the Force rather than hide from it. Mara was sure Jacen was simply having a messy affair (which he was). She stopped Luke from intervening on at least two occasions. This is why she personally went for Jacen because it was her personal fault that he had gotten as far as he had - her fault in her opinion.

Remember though, the gap between Jacen becoming Lumiya's apprentice and then killing Mara (at which point it is too late for them to save him) was no more than four months.

In those four months Lumiya had ample situations to keep Jacen from being dealt with by Luke and Mara; the GAG, Centerpoint, Corellia, the outbreak of war, etc.

Jacen was a harder man after he came back. But he was logical. Luke was critical of Jacen but he didn't do anything as Jacen was fundamentally still a Jedi and acting as one for the six years in which he was back, and Luke, Jaina, Mara, Kyp, Kyle and other Jedi *had* been redeemed from their personal dark sides and a certain amount of arrogance had crept into the Order... Though I would stress that there were only four months to stop him...

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm curious as to what will become of Denning's Mortis backstory.

11. TheLastMandal0rian

Mar 24, 2014
    This is a bit off topic but does anyone know if they Legacy comics coincide with the books? Ive been thinking about buying the collected volumes but since I haven't finished NJO I don't want to spoil anything or be completely lost.

12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Legacy comics are set in 137 ABY and beyond. Where as the legacy of hte force books (if that's the series you are referring to) are only set about 40 ABY, they have nothing to do with each other. The comics are a good read. The books, well I liked some parts of some of them.

13. TheLastMandal0rian

Mar 24, 2014

Thank you. Do you think I would be better off finishing NJO then starting the comics? There seems to be so many books in the NJO series and I have no idea which ones might be a waste of time to read. (they can't all be worth paying for and reading can they? I assume some could be skipped?).

14. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

This discussion might be better suited for the NJO/LotF thread.

[​IMG]

Runjedirun likes this.
  15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It has been too long since I read the NJO. I read them all as they were released. And I've never re-read any of them. It was the event in Star By Star that first soured me on the EU, I mean I have read on, but it was the first major even to make me want to put the books and the saga down for good. The feeling didn't last long, but it was there. There are many good books in the NJO series and maybe someday when I don't have young children I'll make time to re-read them. You can do a search in Lit for that answer, or just ask and they will direct you. I know I've seen the question come up there before ;)

16. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I've only read one of the Legacy comics, but I liked it.

Basically it's just a continuation of the saga.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I believe that Cade Skywalker, Marasiah Fel, and Ania Solo are direct descendants of Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, and Jacen Solo, respectively.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, the first two aren't especially problematic.

The third I'm not so sure about - but if Allana retained the Solo name and passed it on to her descendants - it wouldn't be all that odd.

18. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    This must have been pointed out already, but by throwing out the EU, Disney is essentially destroying a very integral part of the star wars community.
    Since Disney has above all, profits in mind, the discontinuation of the EU will be realized soon enough as a very bad business move.
    And that's where the EU will be reimplemented.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Obi-yoda like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read all of the NJO. Then the Legacy comics. Legacy is a better follow-up to the NJO than DNT/LOTF/FOTJ by miles.

TheLastMandal0rian likes this.
  20. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    Ner vod! Where have you been? I have been looking for another who supports the post NJO EU.
    [​IMG]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I've only read a few books out of the many that make up the EU, but I love what I've read. I know the NJO and LOTF series get ripped on a lot, but I also know a decent amount of the fans like if not love the series. I love what LOTF books I've read. Maybe it could have been done differently, but that's beside the point.

If it wasn't for the EU, Star Wars would not nearly be the massive franchise it is today. It's sad that George seems to view it as just royalty paychecks because it's not in the films. Maybe I'm touchy about this because I'm an aspiring writer myself and would hate to see something I put a lot of effort in just thrown out or, even worse, recycled.

Hopefully Disney won't mess up. Like I said before, I don't expect every last bit of Star Wars to be made into film or TV, and I can live with some changes to plots. I just don't want everything to change.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    because that's exactly what happened with the OOT and the Dark Knight Trilogy was such a flop ;)

23. TheLastMandal0rian

Mar 24, 2014

I'm trying to avoid spoilers at all cost and fear I might accidentally stumble upon even just a minuscule detail about what I have not read lol thought I might just briefly entertain the thought of avoiding that aread until I read the books.

Unless there is a spoiler free zone in that section...........then I'm just dumb for not checking lol

24. TheLastMandal0rian

Mar 24, 2014

Thank you. This pretty much answers my questions. I never realized how many NJO books there really were until I counted them up. Gonna be a good bit of time until I can finish all those.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    19 of them plus several short stories. It can take a while but it'll be worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.