main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always maintained that "Twitter is for twits". Maybe it's close-minded, but I genuinely cannot see anything constructive being done with that small a character limit.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I've made lots of friends via Twitter. That's good enough for me.

And it's really good at teaching you how to edit.

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Twitter is like any social media. It can be used responsibly and make for a great means of interaction between people that isn't blocked by distance or any sort of funds limitation, but as with mediums like Facebook, it lends itself to abuse and misuse because of that same ease of access. And it's an odd paradigm: on one hand its a window into someone's inner thoughts beyond what the media might report, but it's also inherently limited (in its basic form) and as such, means that things can be taken out of context or even completely misrepresented. I've seen celebrities and people in the public eye get in trouble with the wider media both ways: because they posted something they were better off not posting, and because something they did post, harmless in itself, was taken out of context and turned back around on them.

I use it as a pseudo-news feed, since I trust the blogs and writers I follow more than the mainstream media outlets. But I don't generally follow "important" people directly. It's a sort of pyramid, I follow the people who follow the "important" people, so if they say anything actually important (or funny), it'll get re-tweeted and I see it.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Oh, okay, makes sense. Incidentally, I always pictured Dalien like this:

[​IMG]

So I guess I was wrong. :p

(I guess that's closer to Darth Caedus, ironically, considering people saying DOTJ:ITV was what LOTF should've been.)

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And that's what we call White Until Proven Otherwise.

6. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

NEAR-HUMAN LIKE ME, the Galactic Bestseller 240 Imperial Standard Weeks on the Corsucanti Times Bestseller list!

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who is that?

Well, he is tan and I have see people here referee to tan people as white [face_dunno]

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He was the villain in the movie Zoom: Academy for Superheroes. A pretty cheesy movie but I saw it when I was younger and his villainous appearance kind of stuck with me, I guess. Plus the yellow (or red, in that picture anyways) eyes. Very dark side-y. :p

9. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    It's actually more active with Japanese users because one character = one word so one tweet is a paragraph. Same for other languages that don't use the Roman alphabet.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Still"? I've been uninterested in any of the "new" EU, but if Hickman gets a SW comic - and especially if it's about the Senate and trade routes and such - I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That's not an April Fools, that's just a mark on how awesome Hickman is.

11. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I really don't like Manhattan Projects because it just seems needlessly nasty, but the latest work he's been doing in the AVENGERS line as well as some of his other work has been excellent. Although I still feel at times he's in such a rush to get his story told the result is that it feels like I'm missing pages. His Secret Warriors run was a perfect example of that. He'd introduce characters and feed them to the meat grinder and I never knew if or why I was supposed to care.

Even with that said, he's the perfect choice for a big action, big blockbuster feeling SW experience.

blackmyron likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The trick to reading Manhattan Projects is to accept from the start you're reading about a bunch of total, mad bastards and none of them will be anywhere near heroic about anything. Once you do that, it becomes gonzo fun.

blackmyron and CooperTFN like this.
  13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Anyone still think there's no sexism in Star Wars? Check out the Wook today.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

(facepalm)

I'm sorry... I have nothing in principle against a Wook entry for "breasts" (if it's kept mature and professional, and it's not clear that this one is), but something really rubs me the wrong way about treating slang words like "hooters," "titties," and "bazongas" as the equivalent of a nonslang term like "breasts." Ditto the accompanying image. And something tells me those are only a few of several things in that article that need fixing.

(descends from soapbox—for now)

MasterSkywalker86 and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Look at today's date...

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm well aware of today's date. But all the same, a more tasteful April Fool's feature could have been chosen.

Vthuil likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I hate Wookieepedia's brand of April Fool's nonsense too.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    FYI, Findswoman, that's actually a preexisting page, and that image has been there quite a while. The slang words seem to be the only new part of the article.

I kinda like the joke, but I agree that the slang is taking it a bit far.

Revanfan1 and Findswoman like this.
  19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The introduction to the article, basically everything that appears when an article is featured, is the only thing that was changed, as reflected in the article's history. The article's history also shows that there was an edit war over this, which frequently happens to existing articles involved with Wookieepedia's April Fool's jokes.

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Oh, I figured it was a preexisting page—again, that's not the aspect I object to.

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    It's a really crass joke and not funny at all. Just hurr, boobs!

For curiosity I looked for a penis article. Shockingly, one didn't exist.

Revanfan1 and newdawn12 like this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Given the history of the real article, my gut reaction to it being FAed was actually very positive--shoving it in the face of people who couldn't handle the nudity. But the revisions are definitely quite lacking, and kind of ruin the joke.

Contessa and Todd the Jedi like this.
  23. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    They do know kids used the site right ?

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

I totally did the same thing.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008