main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Imperial Handbook - A Commander's Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

IMPERIAL HANDBOOK: A COMMANDER'S GUIDE (DELUXE EDITION)

written by Daniel Wallace, with artwork by Chris Trevas & Chris Reiff

47North (Amazon Publishing) with becker&mayer
    hardcover, ISBN 978-1-60380-340-3, $99.99

INCLUDES mechanized case with lights and sounds, introduction note by Luke, and a specially designed die-cast Imperial military medal

As the Imperial Empire expands, high-ranking officials from each branch of the Imperial Military have set down tactical guidelines and procedures for all newly ascending commanders. Set in-universe, this compendium of ordinance, mission reports, and Imperial philosophy was intercepted by members of the Rebel Alliance, some of whom also left commentary scribbled in the margins. Housed in a deluxe case that opens with lights and sounds, this never-before-seen Imperial Handbook is perfect for Star Wars fans—no matter which side of the Civil War they’re on.

I figured I would make a thread on this guy, credit goes to the Facebook Star Wars Sourcebooks page for finding it.

I am very excited for this to come out:) Hopefully it will provide some new insights and tidbits regarding the Empire and its military. Since it is being done by the same authors as the Death Star Technical Manual, I am curious to see if there will be any further retcons to ship lengths or to the size of the Imperial military. I also wonder if any EU info will make the cut for this book.

2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I want to know how Yularen went from Republic hero to Death Star board member and I want confirmation that Tarkin knows that Palpatine is Sidious.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    They're making a new film in Fall 2015???!?!

DelRiego, Revanfan1, Zorrixor and 5 others like this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    These things keep coming, huh? It actually looks very good. Sounds a bit boring (can't say I'm very much interested in finding out more about "tactical guidelines of the Imperial military"), but I'm sure it won't be.

I wonder how Luke is supposed to have come by this one. [face_thinking]

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't like the Rebel bias it will clearly have with the 'scribbled notes'. Otherwise sounds fascinating.

DelRiego likes this.
  6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    imperial empire

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    american americans

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    DAMN MY TARDINESS

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  10. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Yowza, a hundred smackers for a book, case, and medal. That seems a little much.

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Ric Olié, sourcebook blurb author.

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

I approve this message.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013

Technically, December 15(?), the release date of Episode VII, is in the fall.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, this one I'll buy the deluxe version. Heavens only know how long I've asked for this book, after all!

Of course, I'll be a very critical reader on this particular topic... no pressure! But I'm pleased as punch to look forward to this one. I hope the complexity and depth of Imperial culture is explored thoroughly -- the contrast between the Core World nobles/Generationals and the fascist COMPNOR types, the roles of the mofference and the Imperial advisors, etc.

And of course, let's hope we get an Ars Dangor mention! Ederlathh Pallopides wouldn't hurt either, but I'm not sure where she'd fit in a military manual. :p

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Scribbling on the margins of the copy she received as a birthday gift, of course.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Man, if she got to be one of the margin scribblers for this book...

If there was such a thing as my fondest dream for the EU, that would be it right there.

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013

[​IMG]

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    and don't forget names for all the members of the Peculiar Hat Crew

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We're just missing two of them. We need names for penis hat and Janus Greejatus groupie.

Starkeiller and purplerain like this.
  20. Dreossk

Dreossk Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2008
    Nice! The size of the box is unfortunate, they should have kept the simpler Bounty Hunter Code type. Simple, small(-ish), no useless eletronic.

Who will be the next Ahsoka/Quinlan Vos/Bossk and become the king of stupid margin comments? I also hope it will contain less paper and more real items and for 100$ I expect more that a plastic fake "lightsaber crystal" or Boba Fett's ridiculous helmeted driving permit... Fall 2015, that way too far, it's ridiculous :(

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am intrigued by the idea of the Imperial medal being included as one of the "hard" items with the deluxe set. It'd be too much to hope that it'd be the Emperor's Will from TIE Fighter (as seen in my icon), as I suspect it'll be some brand-new design.

22. Dreossk

Dreossk Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2008
    Don't expect something like your avatar hehe, it will probably be as cheap as the credit from Jedi Path.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I sense an opportunity for a Galaxies TCG reference.

[​IMG]

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm hoping it's more than just Imperial military stuff. I feel like that's been the aspect of the Empire that's been covered most extensively. I'd be a lot more interested in getting an extensive layout of just how the Imperial government was structured and operated.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I demand a Rebel version!

--Adm. Nick