main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Zorkel567 Thanks for the answer, makes sense now. I suppose there is some hope for this series if they do make post FOTJ books. I really want to see the future of Allana, as you guys all know I love her character! I really hope she appears again. She has a lot of potential as one of the future Jedi. I also want to see her relationship grow with her cousin Ben. *fingers crossed*.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    There won't be new Legend books. All the old books will be under the Legend label.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Allana doesn't exist any longer. Allana is non-canon. Mara Jade is non-canon. Han and Leia being married, having three children and having grandchildren is non-canon.

We don't know if there is even a point for Sword of the Jedi because we don't know if any of the relevant plot points leading to it exist.

But, it of course is not being confirmed one way or the other because... who knows?

kubricklynch likes this.
  4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    While its sad to see this axed. I am not sure this would have been a stellar knockout of books based on her FOTJ stuff....

Jainasolo101 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So who came up with the idea of the NJO as a legend?
    Pretty dark legend eh?

Jainasolo101 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Technically Allana never existed. Unless canon is magic beans or something iunno

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm really sad we aren't going to see this. I really wanted to see Jaina get her own series, leading into the Felpire & Legacy. Perhaps more than anything else I was looking forward to this.

8. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Are we 100% sure this is cancelled? They never explicitly said that SOTJ would be cancelled, unless I missed something.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Perhaps more than anything else, I was looking forward to this getting cancelled.

... Sorry. I couldn't resist one last dig at Golden. Her FOTJ books really were that stunningly terrible. But with the recent announcement, hopefully this will be my last opportunity to make an SOTJ-related dig at her again.

Nobody145 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  11. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I don't suppose these were ever finished to a readable level? If so, are they likely to ever see the light of day?

In before any 'nothing Golden produces is of a readable level' jokes.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Going from past experiences, I don't think we'll see any part of these books if there are canceled, even if they're near complete. Del Rey/Lucasbooks have canceled completed books before (Escape from Dagu, Jedi Storm) and they've never seen any sort of release.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe they'll recycle the title? It's kind of good.

14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't think we'll ever see this particular book released, but do firmly believe that, at some point, we will see new stories published that fit in with the 'old' ("Legends") continuity because there are a number of different reasons why it would be foolish of Lucasfilm not to use tie-in works for the actual purpose for which they're intended (perpetuating and extending the brand), and there are a number of opportunities for stories to be told that don't have to fit into the new cohesive Canon of the property going forward.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    They could have tossed us a bone and gave us a few wrap up novels for the EU....

sigh

16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I agree with this. It would have been nice for some, big, final novel set in the Legends-verse. Slap the Legends tag on it and everything's good to go.

17. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    On second thoughts, Jaina would have probably just died or killed Ben or something anyway.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. 13977

13977 Jedi Master

Jan 18, 2008
    I really want to see Sword of the Jedi still get released under this newly christened the Legends banner. Even if its the last thing we get in this canon just to wrap things up and give us some closure to the EU.
    I mean by all accounts these books are finished and in the can right?
    And they're bound to get on the NYT bestsellers list so why not release them under Legends banner. It's leaving money on the table if they don't.

Revanfan1, Gemma and Jainasolo101 like this.
  19. JainaSJedi

JainaSJedi Jedi Master

Aug 17, 2001
    This is what I was looking forward to: a proper conclusion or set-up for the next series of adventures with Jaina, Ben, Allana, etc..

But now that's not going to happen. Since Disney has chosen, for the most part, to disregard post ROTJ EU material, then why would Del Rey publish any new novels in the post-FOTJ Era? It directly contradicts their upcoming plans for the material that is to be 'cannon'.

It seems like the 'Legends' tag is going to be printed on all currently published EU novels that are still being sold, but will not apply to future novels, like the Sword of the Jedi series. Which is a major bummer because I was really looking forward to Jaina finally getting her own series.

I don't know what Episodes 7-9 hold, but I'm not sure how much I care at this point. Disney has just wiped out a major community built from the past 35 years of written material, which included some of my favorite novels (i.e. Thrawn Trilogy). It's a bit hard to be optimistic at this point.

Robimus likes this.
  20. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    You're far from the only person who feels this way.

For every fan I've seen cheering the "fresh start", I've seen one who has little to no interest in further fandom (and several who are selling off their collections and moving on).

If the ST is a blazing success, it doesn't matter. But even if its a blockbuster in theaters, but doesn't bring in new out-of-theater fans, then they may have shot themselves in the foot with the hardcore fandom. Time will tell.

Gemma, Robimus and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Um... no. It says right on the page that they've been cancelled. Besides, Goodreads is just a book review/rating site, they don't host full books unless they're public domain. So, yeah.

[​IMG]

kubricklynch likes this.
  23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I completely agree with you on this and its something that we have to live with and hope that the rest turns out good.

24. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    If anyone is interested I found out that this Triology had not yet been written and that the editors have not given the final axe on this Triology. Things are in a state of flux --- like a sandstorm on Tatooine. Christie says when she knows more and can talk about it - she will update info to her twitter account.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, it would be nice if they let her finish off this trilogy and Kemp do that "amazing" dulogy they kept teasing to wrap up the lose end plot points and send the Legends continuity on its way with some actual closure.

But I doubt that there's a chance in any of the Nine Corellian Hells of that happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.