main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Poor Kermit. The EU meant a lot to him. :(

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So we barely have any idea what's going on, and they don't either? Well, that's an... appropriate start to the new canon. I knew the post RotJ canon was toast and feared the worst for even pre-movie stuff, but this is crazy.

I'm a cynic, so none of this is that surprising. A continuity that places someone like Ahsoka over, say, Mara Jade shows what their idea of quality is, as well as what they're aiming for in terms of a good story. What's surprising is stuff like even slitting up the Empire and Rebellion books because one hasn't been published yet. But that's still typical behavior from Lucasfilm. Oh well, at least I won't spending as much by next year.

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Well if the Legends EU is still being printed, people can still enjoy them. Thats all that I care about. Make your canon whatever you want it to be.

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I can't see why anyone would quit the game. I'd much rather keep playing and pretend it is canon. It's different than not buying any new stuff, there's plenty of reason to not want to reinvest oneself. But to quit something you are currently enjoying? That really confuses me.

5. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    TOR is likely gonna stay because of the bad reactions of the videogame fans stated up the thread; if TOR is declared Legends, either the profits fall or they have to stress that Legends isn't just closed and gone (which they have never actually done, to be fair; it says 'While the universe readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded' - that's a veeery vague statement that could mean a number of things to 'TOR will still continue in Legends' to backdoor-canon or my canon-by-implication idea) and the profits will still probably fall if they do that.

And deliberately harming EA's profits at this point would be a colossally stupid move from Disney.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Reprinted. There's no plans at this time for any new LEU material.

Lurknomore likes this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Better start consolidating the old EU into gigantic omnibuses...

_Catherine_ likes this.
  8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    This whole buyout thing has been one colossally stupid move after another.

GunganSlayer, whiskers and blackmyron like this.
  9. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

How d'you figure? From a business perspective, it's a coup.

Revanfan1, Erik_B and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    You must not have been around the TOR community for much time. Serious, it's got some of the most entitled, whiny members I've ever seen. It seems like every time the developers put out something new he community acts like it's a slap in the face for [insert dumb reason here]. Considering this bombshell today makes anything the developers have supposedly done to the community look like sunshine and rainbows, yeah, I can see people dropping the game unless this gets cleared up.

Seriously, if you ever want a good laugh or to scratch your head in disbelief, just poke around the TOR forums for a hour or so. I've gotten a lot of joy out of it :D

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Stupid for who?

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Even from a business perspective, I find it hard to believe the new approach will seriously be more profitable than the old. The idea that we get things like 1313, the rest of TCW, and now the 'entire EU as we knew it' potentially canceled does not instill confidence in the eyes of a great many, many fans.

Sure, they'll have new films and TV shows, but it would not have been more costly to have them at least collaborate with what came before. It was (mostly) working for LFL before the buyout with TCW, despite some inconsistencies.

This is very different from how the brand was even 2 years ago, with the only possible improvement being a future filled with more on screen material.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    SW novels and comics haven't been doing too well lately.

14. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    So... how long exactly is the Executor now?

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Really, really big-long.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's the great thing about Schrodinger's Canon - the closer you look at it, the more uncertain its length becomes.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    How many pixels

18. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm gonna come out and say that I have no idea how a reasoning human being/Star Wars fan can consider this bad news at all.

Making the old EU non-canon does nothing to them except mean that we won't get a continuation of the story line, which we probably weren't going to get regardless. They're still the same books. Would it be better if they kept everything canon but made no new books? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

Saying "this isn't canon anymore" doesn't really mean anything. Just that it doesn't fit in with the new movies. You can still read the old books and they fit in with the old Eu and old films just as much as they did last week. It seems like some people here would prefer if no more Star Wars literature was ever published than have new literature published in a slightly different timeline, which baffles me no end.

There's at least one sensible person here, who would have thought?

dokratr0 likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I cannot believe that the Story Group is arrogantly throwing virtually everything EU out the window, apparently for the sole reason that they didn't approve it. If that is not the case, then they had better clarify it, because that is the impression they have given me. I cannot believe that Pablo's statements are verbatim what they are doing.

whiskers likes this.
  20. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    It will be more profitable simply because it'll be more accessible. What's easier for someone whose only seen the six movies and, let's say several TCW episodes: getting them caught up on the EU so that they can read Fate of the Jedi? Or getting them up to speed so that they can read the upcoming Tarkin novel? The latter only requires them to have seen the OT (hell, they could even get by with just ANH). FOTJ would, at the very minimum, require them to be somewhat familiar with NJO and LotF.

So yes, this will be more profitable because it will entice some new people into giving the novels a try (mostly people who like Star Wars and are avid readers). How much more profitable will it be? Who knows. The reset button worked for DC recently, so why can't it work for Disney?

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    fixed

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, that's pretty much the sort of reaction I described in my post earlier when I mentioned a couple of the gamers I know proclaiming this the new Mass Effect 3 Ending.

I don't really know how much we'd ever learn the reception though, due to it being F2P and all these days, so you don't exactly have "subscription numbers" to really quantify as easily. The attitude I've felt reading some people's comments, though, is that they don't seem to give a hoots about learning what happens to the Sith Empire or Revan or whatever in the new patches now though, as they feel it doesn't matter, and are treating it with the same enthusiasm as, say, playing a bonus level that doesn't affect the main story. Think the dark side Infinities downloadable missions for TFU or something, I guess...? Not that TOR has exactly been doing well recently anyway -- there's certainly been a lot of moaning I've read about them not releasing new content quickly enough, and it having been falsely advertising as having the fourth pillar of "story" as a core component to the gameplay -- so this has now just fanned those "We thought it was KOTOR3!" flames again or something, I suppose?

It'll be interesting to see what they do come out with about TOR, though at present I expect the same as I've been saying all along: no definitive statements until they've written the plot for Episode 9 and know absolutely for certain what they should rubber stamp and say is "canon" now. I guess those of us who read the books have been used to all the canon tiers for years, whereas most of the friends I have outside Lit were acting like it was "news" to them several months ago (heck, they all still talk like the Story Group is some revolutionary idea, and talk as if Leeland has only just been hired and think it's awesome they now have this dude looking out for how it'll all slot together, because they'd never heard of him before).

As for EA...

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the reception is of their next Star Wars game. Battlefront 3 obviously has an audience, and one that's not necessarily the TOR audience as they're totally different games... though I imagine EA are going to now be pushing to make sure Battlefront 3 is a roaring success if TOR's returns start to drop and they now need to claw back that investment from their new products instead.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    If this announcement somehow caused TOR's numbers to drop precipitously all they need to do is create a new Revan flashpoint or something and that would fix it.

Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    That cynical video Disney put out annoys me more than the actual decision itself: "here's a bunch of stuff from the EU, oh that was wonderful, oh that was great, here's why we're ripping it all up in order to sell more Chewbacca dolls when the ST comes out".

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    There's no good reason to just sweep it all away without saying "okay, the Thrawn trilogy is canon... it's just something that happened, like many other things referenced off-hand in the films themselves, off-screen." Thrawn easily fits with anything they want to do as a part of the mopping up of the Empire. Unless they are just as thoughtless as GL in running with the notion that the entire Galactic Empire just collapsed after Endor and the entire galactic population rejoiced. Hell, they could even preserve Dark Empire if they wanted with that.

The NJO onward I can understand wanting to get rid of. That's all within the stated time period of the Sequel Trilogy. I just hope this will be a chance for someone with sanity to say "let's keep these stories canon" and pick and choose what's legit and what's not... not just toss it all aside call it "legends" and for no real reason expunge some of the best stories of the EU from the Canon. "New EU" isn't even really relevant when what they seem to be saying is that this all actually one truly cohesive continuity with the Story Group having input or working with the ST and Rebels. Why the hell not preserve some of the more revered stories like Thrawn, X-Wing that make sense within the 30 intervening years between OT and ST?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.