main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Practical or CGI?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediJurist, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    During the final lightsaber duel, when someone inevitably loses a limb, each seat in the theatre will emit a buzzsaw from it's right armrest and cripple the audience members at the appropriate moment.
    Immersion.

2. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    This is the future of film making. "I want the audience to feel what the heroes feel!"

The Hellhammer likes this.
  3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I want a mixture of both, though I would lean towards more cgi. The technology has come a long way...

4. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    Mods: Don't we have yet a thread about filming and FX techniques? I think this discussion belongs there...

5. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    That looks like crap.

Yoda jumping around like a fricken jelly bean was funny for all the wrong reasons.

I recall people in the theatre laughing at this duel.

6. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Funny, I recall a lot of cheering.

7. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I remember the laughter as well. I was one of them.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I remember being pretty amazed when Yoda walked in and dropped the cane to confront Dooku.

9. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

Same here. All of a sudden a very old jedi who has trouble walking and uses a cane is jumping all over the place like a crazy man. Ridiculous.

Hernalt and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    which is outweighed by the horrible things it can do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and C-3PO droid factory scenes in AotC

11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    What's wrong with that clone sequence?

And as far as Jar Jar goes, you can hate his character for his personality and lines, but for the most part, they did an excellent job with the effects to make him physically seem real and present in the scenes. As one who absolutely *hated* early cgi (that SE Jabba for instance), I have come around to actually quite like it when done well. Some of my favorite PT characters (Watto, Dexter...) showed that cgi can realize some fantastic characters that wouldn't be possible with puppetry/costuming.

Edit: You are absolutely right about the 3po droid factory scenes. Those were awful.

12. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    For me, one of the most important ways I experience things is by how I feel about them days later. Star Wars has always left an amazing feeling, that's the main reason why I get back to it. It's like when you can't get a song out of your head, a song that probably transports you to where you were when you first experienced it. A song that may even inspire you to learn how to play an instrument or take singing lessons, etc.

AOTC always left me with a bitter feeling, disgusting even. I don't want to get back to it because it feels so wrong. When I think about it in retrospect, it's always like "the horror", the polar opposite to my feeling towards the trilogy.

After rewatching AOTC a few times, it hasn't gotten better and through personal insight I attribute most of this feeling to the way in which CGI was applied. Nothing looks good and you can feel the emptiness, the blue screens and the lack of direction. I mean they didn't even have time to do a proper soundtrack, reusing music from TPM. It was so bad the last time I watched it that I thought to myself "I will never do this again".

That said, I marvel at Frank Oz's work in ESB, Chewie's costume, the droids, the model work, etc. These movies feel like orchestrated efforts, palpable and REAL. I'm not saying they shoud use stop motion over CGI but they could handle it proportionately and harmonically. CGI overload tampers with the Star Wars feeling.

Hernalt and Dewback like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I remember the cheering. I know awesome is subjective guys, I thought that was obvious?

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the difference being is that JJ will probably make a lot of fuss over a 'real' stormtrooper (or similar) costume in the new film (probably used for a couple of scenes only)... and then conveniently forget about the other 90% of shots where they are realised by CGI. And then the JJ fans will say "see... this is how you should do it". ;)

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I feel completely the opposite... sans a couple of dodgy love scenes... AOTC has a pulpy Republic serial vibe that sits well in the Star Wars genre. AOTC really pushed the boundaries of virtual filmmaking... something that influenced, and that can be seen in everything today from Gravity to Spiderman 2.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The armor on the clones looks CGI/like a cartoon or video game and the movement, even with motion capture, doesn't seem real. That goes for all scenes with the clone troopers

Dewback likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I actually thought it helped separate the Clones from the droids - they can do things droids can't. I didn't have a problem with it, but to each their own. :)

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The problem is the droids looked more real than the clone troopers. Actors in costume doing the same scene would've been awesome and looked real. The CGI looks fake. That's the issue.

On topic, I want a mix of CGI and puppets. Use puppets/costumes where appropriate and for most interactions and use CGI where appropriate and where it's not practical to use puppets/costumes. Please use costumes for human characters and do not CGI troopers.

19. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    I fail to see it that way, TBH my son and I always enjoy a lot those action scenes with the clones kick'n *ss.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. It's both. Not everything needs to be something to fight about.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I never said that they were bad scenes or that they weren't enjoyable to watch. I only said that they look fake. Which they do. Actors in costume doing the same scenes would've looked real, and better.

22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the animated clones were superb... sure they are a product of the technology at the time they were created... so in places, yes you can tell. But what's the alternative? Actors in costumes who find it difficult to move or even shoot a blaster in a convincing way - like in the OT? Men in costumes are fine for guarding doors etc. but not so good for any real action (specifically action in modern movies that demands much more movement). At least the clones appeared to be dangerous, trained and equipped.

Andy Wylde and HugoWanKenobi like this.
  23. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    This is what it boils down to for me. If the actors are interacting with a CG character, have it be mo-capped. That is what I don't want, actors talking to nothing.

Hernalt, T-R- and Ricky OliƩ like this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll take the OT trooper scenes every time. I've also seen 501st run around doing amazing things. If the Naboo army can run around in TPM, surely troopers with a helmet could run around in AotC and RotS, with costumes made of 2000's materials as opposed to 1970's tech.

JediJurist and Ganger like this.
  25. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

My favorite comparison in the Orchs from the lord of the rings vs the hobbit.

They look way better in the LOTR in my opinion. In the hobbit they appear video game esq or even cartoonish.

Sir Chem and Chained Prometheus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.